JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Anyone know anything about the Olympic Memorial Youth Center in Yoyougi Koen? - 09-02-2011, 09:23 PM

For part of the time I will be in Japan with my band of college students this month and the beginning of next, our hosts are putting us up at the Olympic Memorial Youth Center in Youyogi. In fact, that is the place we will be on our first night in Japan.

I have traveled in Japan MANY times and have used KuroNeko takkyubin service to get bags from place to place every time and usually multiple times a trip. It is a wonderful service and seems to be "universal" in my experiences.

Well..................

I am getting told by our hosts that we cannot get out bags shipped to that place from Narita Terminal 2 (JAL arrival)? This to me seems totally amazing.

So does anyone know anything about this? Or why it might be so? Or if it is clearly incorrect information?

Also ......... can anyone find / supply an email address for the OMYC for me? I have scoured the OMYC website in both 日本語 and in English....and I cannot find one on there. Have thei phone number..... and will use that if I have to. But email comes first .... if I can find it.

If this is the case... it is going to make getting from Narita to our destination, and then back to the airport later....... because we'll return to the OMYC for a single night just before returning to the US ....... a total nightmare! Schlepping luggage on japanese trains and subways and through the stations is NOT my idea of a "fun time"! Particluarlt after being in "travel mode" for 18 to 20 hours straight at that point.

Ideas / suggsetions? Appreciate any help.

best,

................john
(#2 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Olympic Memorial Youth Center in Yoyougi Koen = Independent Administrative Institution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bureaucratic routine
Do not expect service because the charge is cheap.

There is a method of using the post office, too.
Method of sending luggage from branch to another branch.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#3 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-02-2011, 10:49 PM

Tokyo - Yoyogi YH Hostel in Tokyo – Book with HI Hostels

Quote:
Tokyo - Yoyogi YH
3-1 Yoyogi Kamizono-cho
151-0052 Tokyo
Japan

Tel. 81 3 3467 9163
Fax. 81 3 3467 9417
yoyogi@jyh.gr.jp
Tokyo Yoyogi

Go! Go!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2011, 04:27 AM

Thanks for sure for the info so far.... but those email addresses and sites are for different "booking groups" that simply handle reservations for the OMYH facilty. I need to find an email for sending a direct email direct to staff that work right there on site in the main offices. I need to get answers to questions specific to shipping luggage via takkyubin to and from them.

Reservations and such are already all in place. And I already have detailed facility info pdf-s from the OMYC's actual website (Japanese version).

What I really need is an email address.

best,

.............john
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-03-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
Thanks for sure for the info so far.... but those email addresses and sites are for different "booking groups" that simply handle reservations for the OMYH facilty. I need to find an email for sending a direct email direct to staff that work right there on site in the main offices. I need to get answers to questions specific to shipping luggage via takkyubin to and from them.

Reservations and such are already all in place. And I already have detailed facility info pdf-s from the OMYC's actual website (Japanese version).

What I really need is an email address.

best,

.............john
Looked everywhere on the website but was unable to find an email address.
I cannot imagine facilities like these not handling Kuroneko or another service, though, because any small B&B would.

May I make a phone call and ask for you? They do not even answer calls on weekends, so it wil be Monday at the earliest.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.

Last edited by masaegu : 09-03-2011 at 04:53 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Looked everywhere on the website but was unable to find an email address.
I cannot imagine facilities like these not handling Kuroneko or another service, though, because any small B&B would.

May I make a phone call and ask for you? They do not even answer calls on weekends, so it wil be Monday at the earliest.
Thanks very much for going to that trouble! Yeah ....... I too scoured every single page on both the English and the Japanese sections of the webiste. There is not a single email address to be found anywhere. I've also done general searches on the web.... no joy. I think they do not like email .

And I too cannot imagine that this is not possible. Takkyubin service is a core part of life for all travelers in Japan.

Yes, I would not mind that at all and would appreciate it greatly... since you are right there in Tokyo. Yoroshiku, oengai shimasu.

It is important to note that we are not being housed at the "Yoyogi Youth Hostel" but at the OMYC itself.

Here is the address and phone that I have been given:

National Olympics Memorial Youth Center (NYC)
3-1, Yoyogi Kamizono-cho,Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0052, Japan

Tel: +81-3-3469-2525
Fax: +81-3-3469-2277
http://nyc.niye.go.jp/

First of all I need to know if this is possible FROM THEIR END. Please tell them that KuroNeko in Japan has already told me directly that they CAN deliver there.

If they can do it, I also need to know where the luggage will be available for us to pick up (what building in the complex), and when the most convenient hours are for them for us to do that.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH . Monday is of course fine.

best,

...............john
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-05-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks very much for going to that trouble! Yeah ....... I too scoured every single page on both the English and the Japanese sections of the webiste. There is not a single email address to be found anywhere. I've also done general searches on the web.... no joy. I think they do not like email .

And I too cannot imagine that this is not possible. Takkyubin service is a core part of life for all travelers in Japan.

Yes, I would not mind that at all and would appreciate it greatly... since you are right there in Tokyo. Yoroshiku, oengai shimasu.

It is important to note that we are not being housed at the "Yoyogi Youth Hostel" but at the OMYC itself.

Here is the address and phone that I have been given:

National Olympics Memorial Youth Center (NYC)
3-1, Yoyogi Kamizono-cho,Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-0052, Japan

Tel: +81-3-3469-2525
Fax: +81-3-3469-2277
http://nyc.niye.go.jp/

First of all I need to know if this is possible FROM THEIR END. Please tell them that KuroNeko in Japan has already told me directly that they CAN deliver there.

If they can do it, I also need to know where the luggage will be available for us to pick up (what building in the complex), and when the most convenient hours are for them for us to do that.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH . Monday is of course fine.

best,

...............john
OK, JBaymore, I just called and found out the rules.

To receive things, the rules are rather guest-unfriendly (in my own opinion) in that the guest needs to be present in his room at the time of the delivery. As you know, you can specify the date and time frame of the delivery on the Takkyuubin form when you fill it out. You must also write down your room number and building name on that form. (example; B-205). I was told they assign rooms 2 weeks prior to the guests's arrival and they can let you know upon request.

To send things from there, just go to the "Service Corner" on the 1st flooor of Building D.

Hope this does not discourage you too much.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-05-2011, 02:55 AM

Masaegu,

THANK YOU very much for doing this. I really apprciate it.

Did you happen to find out an EMAIL address from them? I am guessing however that they don't want to give that out.... that would be too "guest friendly". They'd have to answer them.

I am sure that I can make that work OK. It is just a pain in the butt.

I am hoping that by "present in his room" that they mean simply "checked in" ..... not actually sitting there waiting for it to arrive. KuroNeko uses 2 hour windows for delivery. I can't believe that they check each suitcase as it comes off the KuroNeko truck and refuce delivery if the person is not in the room. What do they do... run all over the HUGE complex of buildings checking before they will accept the bag? I doubt it.

I talked to KuroNeko today and they have no problem whatsoever delivering there; they say they do it all the time. But they did not mention THIS aspect of things. Thanks for the "heads up".

So it is just government employees being "difficult" I guess.

Again... thank you. Big help.

best,

...............john

PS: I tried to PM you....... it is not working.

Last edited by JBaymore : 09-05-2011 at 02:56 AM. Reason: added something as a PS
(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-05-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Masaegu,

THANK YOU very much for doing this. I really apprciate it.

Did you happen to find out an EMAIL address from them? I am guessing however that they don't want to give that out.... that would be too "guest friendly". They'd have to answer them.

I am sure that I can make that work OK. It is just a pain in the butt.

I am hoping that by "present in his room" that they mean simply "checked in" ..... not actually sitting there waiting for it to arrive. KuroNeko uses 2 hour windows for delivery. I can't believe that they check each suitcase as it comes off the KuroNeko truck and refuce delivery if the person is not in the room. What do they do... run all over the HUGE complex of buildings checking before they will accept the bag? I doubt it.

I talked to KuroNeko today and they have no problem whatsoever delivering there; they say they do it all the time. But they did not mention THIS aspect of things. Thanks for the "heads up".

So it is just government employees being "difficult" I guess.

Again... thank you. Big help.

best,

...............john

PS: I tried to PM you....... it is not working.
I just called again I do not even feel like posting what I found out.

1. They have no email address they can give you. Use phone or fax.

2. If you are not in your room at the time your Kuroneko driver knocks, he WILL take your things back to his center by leaving a note. You will need to call the center and request re-delivery. In other words, it works the same way as it does with a regular residence, not a regular hotel.
_____

The lady I spoke to seemed kinda surprised when I mentioned your country's name. She said she hoped that you guys would feel comfortable enough staying with them because no one there speaks English, basically. She also said she wondered how you even got the rooms there.

(#10 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-06-2011, 05:29 PM

masaegu,

THANK YOU so much for making that second phone call.

I THINK what I am (your are) getting out of the OMYC is the Japanese verion of an indirect "NO!". Apparently the government place just does not want to be bothered with it. Luggage is a pain in the butt. So if they make it very difficult and unclear..... you will simply just go away. Then they did not have to say a direct "no".

I talked to KuroNeko directly once again, and they again said that their driver does NOT deliver to the rooms there at the OMYC at all. They talked to the driver that does that specific route. They said that they deliver exactly as they said originally in their first answer to me... to the office in the Accomodations Building D.

So this situation is all unfortunately a total "crap shoot". Ship the bags and HOPE that the OMYC DO hang on to them, as KuroNeko insists that they do. Or limit ourselves to one 50 pound checked bag, and than have to schlep the heavy large bags thru the stations and on the trains to be safe.

We can't take a chance that the main bags will not be there on the day we need them. There are "professional reasons" for needing stuff which will be in them. It cannot go wrong. And we are on a tight time window,..........so no time to "fix" things if the bags are not there.

So it looks like we are going to have a "fun day" on the trains after being on the plane for 13 1/2 hours .

Thank you SO MUCH for trying.

best,

...................john