JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

Tokyo Halloween and other haunted ideas? - 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM

I will be in Japan over the Halloween holiday (Oct 31st). I know Halloween is not *huge* in Japan, but I am wondering if there is any cool things to do (aside from just normal club parties and such).

Also, are there any types of haunted tours or legendary type stuff to see in Tokyo? Halloween or not?

Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxr View Post
I will be in Japan over the Halloween holiday (Oct 31st). I know Halloween is not *huge* in Japan, but I am wondering if there is any cool things to do (aside from just normal club parties and such).

Also, are there any types of haunted tours or legendary type stuff to see in Tokyo? Halloween or not?

Thanks!
I recently saw an episode of Tokyo Eye from NHK that featured haunted houses. There are some elaborate ones out there. One was a hospital-type west of Shinjuku, but they didn't give exact directions. I've also seen some clips of people dressed up in costumes and they even have a parade, mostly for children, in Omotesando....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-14-2011, 08:42 PM

I know they used to do a loop-line costume ride where a massive group of people rides around on the Yamanote-sen all dressed up. They did it in Osaka, too... but I have heard they have been cracking down in recent years.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM

While I was in Tokyo Disney land last week they had the whole thing decorated spooky Halloween style. I don't know if that's your thing or not but that's all I can come up with. We got our tickets from this red ATM looking thing in a 7/11 and it was only about 10,100 yen for 2 tickets, if I remember correctly.
I'm sure they'll have even more stuff on Halloween day, though. Maybe some parades or something.

猿も木から落ちる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

09-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I recently saw an episode of Tokyo Eye from NHK that featured haunted houses. There are some elaborate ones out there. One was a hospital-type west of Shinjuku, but they didn't give exact directions. I've also seen some clips of people dressed up in costumes and they even have a parade, mostly for children, in Omotesando....

Ah, cool. I will have to look into that! Sounds like the Silent Hill haunted house I have seen pop up online from time to time (which I definitely would not be against visiting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I know they used to do a loop-line costume ride where a massive group of people rides around on the Yamanote-sen all dressed up. They did it in Osaka, too... but I have heard they have been cracking down in recent years.

You're not talking about the infamous naked gaijin halloween attack are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
While I was in Tokyo Disney land last week they had the whole thing decorated spooky Halloween style. I don't know if that's your thing or not but that's all I can come up with. We got our tickets from this red ATM looking thing in a 7/11 and it was only about 10,100 yen for 2 tickets, if I remember correctly.
I'm sure they'll have even more stuff on Halloween day, though. Maybe some parades or something.

I appreciate any and all pointers, thanks! I am sure I won't have trouble finding a lot of these things just randomly wandering around...

I guess I am looking for either a *must see* type of event (parade or otherwise)... But more-so I am trying to hunt down mythical/legend-type places that are supposedly haunted. Shrines, forests, buildings, etc. Even a tour, maybe.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far guys

Last edited by dxr : 09-14-2011 at 10:20 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Cola (Offline)
JF Regular

09-15-2011, 01:10 AM

The haunted house at Fuji-Q Highland in Yamanashi Prefecture is supposed to be one of the biggest in the world. According to the website (English version available), it takes a whopping 50 minutes to go through.

I went to Tokyo Disneyland last year on Halloween day, and it was pretty fun - though so crowded that I only got to do a handful of attractions. Lots of Japanese people were dressed up in costumes, especially in themed groups. I remember one group that was all dressed up in some expensive-looking Alice in Wonderland playing card soldier costumes, and another group of about 15 people dressed as dalmatians (for 101 Dalmatians, of course).
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Cola (Offline)
JF Regular

09-15-2011, 01:22 AM

Oh, just as a note of interest or whatever, haunted house attractions (not the real thing, of course) are seen as a summertime thing in Japan and as such, many temporary ones (like the popular one they have at Tokyo Dome City every year, though it looks like they may not be doing one this year) close by the end of September, unfortunately. So, if you get any other haunted house tips (attractions, not the real thing), be sure to double check and make sure they'll still be open when you come. That one at Fuji-Q that I mentioned is open year-round, as is, of course, the one at Disneyland.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-15-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxr View Post

You're not talking about the infamous naked gaijin halloween attack are you?
I am not familiar with that.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dxr (Offline)
JF Regular

09-15-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not familiar with that.
The Yamanote Halloween Train vs. Japanese Netizen Rage | Japan Probe

Just read about it myself recently.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-15-2011, 05:09 AM

I guess this is a good example of how the Internet can take a fun tradition and blow it up into a sarin attack. The tradition of the loop line train parties on Halloween goes back pre-internet.