JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TayTay (Offline)
New to JF

Tokyo and travel questions - 10-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Alright, so I'm taking my first trip to Japan this upcoming spring for my birthday! It's my first time traveling alone and I'll be 21 at the time. I'm going with a tour group but will be going off on my own in Tokyo for a week. (Yes, I feel I'm being brave o.O haha)

While I'm still with the group be will be visiting the Edo Tokyo Museum, Akihabara, Asakusa, Imperial Palace Plaza, and Ginza. When I go off on my own I've decided I want to see Shinjuku, Harajuku, and Shibuya since they will not be far of a travel from my hotel (any specific places I should go while there?). I also plan to go to the zoo in Ueno, the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, and I'm really looking foreword to shopping in Odaiba! My question is, can you guys think of anything else I really shouldn't miss out on? I take pleasure in the little things in life...which is probably why I'm so excited to see small things like the statue of Hachiko. I really enjoy shopping but of course I want to experience the culture aswell.

I don't mind having to travel around as my hotel is very close to Shinjuku station but I'm a little nervous about getting around since this is my first trip ever!! Will it be difficult to get around? Expensive? What should I do to prepare myself for such a big first time trip? I'm working on the language but I'm really just a beginner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(oh, and I do have friends over there who will be helping me when I am off by myself, but I mean there will be some things I want to go off by myself and do)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

10-25-2011, 05:30 AM

If possible, get out of Tokyo. Yokohama has some cool places.

Going only to Tokyo is to Japan what going to New York is to the United States, imo.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Make sure you spend sometime at Asakusa, Nakamise has some interesting shop selling traditional stuff. Tsuwabuki is right, Yokohama has a lot to offer, and can probably occupy you a day or so: Ramen Museum, Instant Noodle Museum, China Town, Minato Mirai and all the shopping

You can also spend a day or even 2 in Odaiba...... Harajuku is only about a few hours worth unless you want to drop by all the brand name store (LV, Gucci etc), Shinjuku is filled with shopping areas, I would be really careful around Kabukicho at night, or just completely avoid it... There are tones of interesting little stores in inner street. Shibuya, same thing, lots of inner street gems...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TayTay (Offline)
New to JF

10-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
If possible, get out of Tokyo. Yokohama has some cool places.

Going only to Tokyo is to Japan what going to New York is to the United States, imo.

Haha, I rather enjoyed just going to New York for a week. But I definitely see your point. Not to worry, before I go off on my own in Tokyo I'll be visiting Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Atami and a few other places with the tour group. Tokyo is just where I disband from the group and stay for some extra time.

Godwine (I didn't know how to quote twice in a post), is Kabukicho dangerous? To be completely honest I haven't really heard of it before. Thanks for the tip!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-25-2011, 10:59 PM

Kabukicho isn't so dangerous, I actually think it is more interesting at night than during the day. You'll see the usual groups of hosts hawking to young women, and the occasional hustler doing thr same to men. You might get approached by one or more hustler if you are in Kabukicho, but no one will attack you or rob you. The area around west gate park in Ikebukuro is similar, and maybe a bit riskier.

In the rest of Tokyo, don't be afraid to explore the smaller streets and alleyways, you often find interesting things there. Nowadays I usually avoid the touristy areas if I can, there are many intersting places where tourists don't go.