JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Tokyo & Kyoto vs Everywhere Else - 06-02-2007, 01:10 AM

Basically you get 2 types of holiday tours to Japan. Those that spend most of the time in Tokyo and Kyoto and those that do a full tour taking in places like Hiroshima and Okinawa as well.

Which do you think is the better holiday to take?

I know a lot of it is down to personal taste, do you prefer Skyscrapers or Shrines? So I guess what I'm really getting at is what does seeing these other cities offer that going to Tokyo and Kyoto don't?

I will go back to Japan, but after seeing Tokyo and Kyoto (far too briefly) do I want to spend years and years saving to go back there again (which I know I would love) or would I be better off checking out other places in Japan I haven't been to yet? Also which would be the best holiday choice for people who haven't been?

Last edited by Haggis : 06-02-2007 at 01:14 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

06-02-2007, 03:35 AM

Personally I can't wait until next year when I'm, planning to go to Osaka. Of course, that is right next door to Kyoto.

I'm going to spend a week in Osaka then travel by bullet train back to Tokyo. I want to spend more time in Akihabara. I also want to check out Harajuku and several other sites I didn't get to check out on my last trip. Among those are:

Studio Ghibli Museum: Ghibli Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Edo Wonderland: EDO WONDERLAND
Takenaka Carpentry Museum (in Kobe): TAKENAKA CARPENTRY TOOLS MUSEUM
(#3 (permalink))
Old
glaylover (Offline)
Nan de?

06-04-2007, 11:19 AM

To see the REAL JApn you need to see as much as possible. You can't just go to Tokyo and expect it to be what it is all about.

Glaylover

zutto futari de..........
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

Thumbs up 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM

I want to go to Tokyo and all those big cities really bad! Skyscrapers and all those buildings would be absolutely amazing to see. Night and day exploration would be a crazy experience! I want to be in Tokyo at night the most, when all the neon lights are on, and all the TV's on the buildings light up the dark sky! The strange thing is, I have seen skyscrapers for the first time about 3 years ago.

I'd want to say that I would spend a Holiday visit probably exploring the shrines, nature, villages etc. I'd love to go to Hokkaido in the winter, and just look at everything, but as Glaylover said, in order to see real Japan, you have to see both. The cities may be a big part of their lives now, but so are the shrines and statues, they are a symbol of their past and everything they stand for. So I think, in order to not mix moods, and first experiences, it is best to spend 2 Holiday trips there. One for city then the other for rural. But then when you get used to it, see both at the same time!!!!!

Last edited by Kanji_The_Wanderer : 06-04-2007 at 03:54 PM.