JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shuga (Offline)
New to JF

Exchanging to Japan [what i need to know] - 07-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Okay so im going to exchange in 2008 and i was woundering if people can give me some advice about schools in Japan and about what I should really expect when i go to the country.
I've been studying Japanese and im learning Hiragana [i've heard its more useful]
and Learning culture as well.
But i dont feel totally prepared enough.
ALSO i want to know about how to get a Student Visa and when i should get it before my departure in 2008 and mabey you can tell me other things i need to require so i can enter Japan [i already know about passports]
Thanks!!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

07-02-2007, 08:05 PM

If you're going on an exchange through your school/university, they will give you all the forms and stuff associated with passports and visas, as well as the dates of when they are due, etc, so you generally don't need to worry too much about that. In other words, everything that's required to enter Japan will most likely be arranged by your school.

The university I went to was Nanzan University in Nagoya. I know there are many other great places to study abroad at in Japan, but I highly recommend this university if your school has a partnership with this one. They operate on the US's August to May school year, unlike 95% of the other schools in Japan, which run from April to March. Also, along with teaching highly intensive Japanese courses, they also teach many Japanese-related courses in English. This is very nice, because you generally have to be completely fluent in Japanese to attend a university class taught in Japanese.

I would say work on your verbal skills first and foremost, because they will be more useful when you arrive in Japan - you can learn writing and reading Japanese when you're actually there.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ichiban (Offline)
New to JF

07-02-2007, 11:22 PM

Well actully im not going to a university
i should be able to attend a highschool since i will be about 16 when I go.
[this is my other profile]