LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

02-05-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Actually, it never really snowed in Hashimoto. We had a bit of slushy hail/snow/rain 1 or 2 days, but it melted quickly and wasn't very impressive at all.
Oh, that is too bad. I was hoping you'd have some beautiful snow-covered photos. Oh well, I will survive. lol

So, may I ask what types of other photos that you have that you have no posted yet? I'd like to see them.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-06-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
Oh, that is too bad. I was hoping you'd have some beautiful snow-covered photos. Oh well, I will survive. lol

So, may I ask what types of other photos that you have that you have no posted yet? I'd like to see them.
Well, let's see... I've got lots more pictures of various temples and shrines (easily the #1 most common thing in my photo collection), some photos of friends and co-workers, my hike to Nachi Falls, the inside of the Osaka Aquarium, statues and dioramas at a manga convention I went to in Osaka, some day to day pictures of things that interested me as I was riding my bike around town, some shots of a Chinese Art Museum in Nagasaki, more shots of the Hida Folk Village and giant statues of the 7 Lucky Gods there, more pictures of Kanazawa Park, and just generally more of the stuff I have already been posting. I don't post all the pictures I have on any subject, I tend to pick the best ones. Sometimes 2 or more photos are very similar, or I just have a ton of pictures of statues or temples, so I post 4 or 8 or 12 of them, a representative sample, even though I may still have a dozen more...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#43 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-07-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks! If I can help or offer advice in any way, don't hesitate to ask! And I have tons of other places and pictures yet to post, some of which I've forgotten the exact name and location of after being back for 10 years...

I took a look at your blog and see that you had tonkotsu / Hakata-style ramen in Osaka the other day... I'm so jealous!
ill be sure to do that.. yeah that ramen was yummy

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#44 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
That's too bad. Maybe you can go during spring break? Are you a JET?

I've mentioned it before, but my eastern Japan trip went like this:

Lake Biwa - Kanazawa -Takayama - Japan Alps - Matsumoto - Tokyo - Nikko - home. I actually had been planning to spend another day or 2 seeing Hakone, Nagoya, and other sights as I looped back toward Wakayama-ken along the Pacific Ocean, but I wasn't feeling well myself, so I just went straight home in 1 looong trip.

And on my trip through western Japan, I started out feeling fine as well, but I caught a cold hiking to the top of the mountain in the middle of Miyajima Island. (The picture of the trail on the sign showed a nice path with deer alongside it, meadows, etc. No, it was a STEEP climb that took over 1 1/2 hours, and it rained partway up!) So I was sick from the next day, all through my time on Kyushu, until I soaked in the hot waters of Dogo Onsen. The legends say it has healing properties, and it really worked for me! When I woke the next morning, I was at least 90% better!

Anyway, good luck on getting there someday!
No am not JET. I'm a "salary(wo)man" I don't have that much break.
I've been to lake biwa though during one of our dragon boat competition, but not yet on those other areas..
be heading to biwako valley this weekend ( thank god for 3-day holiday) hopefully we will have fun in the snow ( no skiing or snowboarding for me )

yeah Dogo Onsen is really really nice .. I wish I could go back there again ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

02-09-2008, 05:46 PM

My problem will most likely be that I'm not Asian. I think I will figure out how to not let it bother me.

What is a JET, anyway?

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#46 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitsu View Post
My problem will most likely be that I'm not Asian. I think I will figure out how to not let it bother me.

What is a JET, anyway?
I'm not Asian, and I got along fine over there.

The JET Program is sponsored by the Japanese government, and they accept about 5500-6000 people each year to team teach English in Japanese public schools. It is, IMO, the best way to get over to Japan, live and work there, experience it, and get paid well while you do it!

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

02-09-2008, 06:25 PM

Yeah, I saw your post
Quote:
Every obvious foreigner gets those glances. I'm white and numerous times I saw Japanese kids stare at me and point while tugging on their mom's hand, like they'd spotted a ghost or a monster. I'd just wave and say hi...
Good idea, if you ask me.

(#48 (permalink))
Old
風林火山

02-27-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Well, let's see... I've got lots more pictures of various temples and shrines (easily the #1 most common thing in my photo collection), hike to Nachi Falls, the inside of the Osaka Aquarium, statues and dioramas at a manga convention I went to in Osaka, some day to day pictures of things that interested me as I was riding my bike around town, some shots of a Chinese Art Museum in Nagasaki, more shots of the Hida Folk Village and giant statues of the 7 Lucky Gods there, more pictures of Kanazawa Park

I think you should post up all these photos piece by piece. I'd like to see as much as you have to offer. Statues of Seven Lucky Gods sounds interesting as well as an Osaka aquarium. (Think you posted those already) and I'd like to see the Nachi Falls. That is a waterfall right?
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

02-28-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post

I think you should post up all these photos piece by piece. I'd like to see as much as you have to offer. Statues of Seven Lucky Gods sounds interesting as well as an Osaka aquarium. (Think you posted those already) and I'd like to see the Nachi Falls. That is a waterfall right?
Sounds good to me, too. What is an Osaka?

(#50 (permalink))
Old
風林火山

02-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajitsu View Post
Sounds good to me, too. What is an Osaka?
You don't know Osaka? It's a major city in Japan. Like Kobe, Tokyo, Nagasaki etc.

Most of the cities there look really nice. Skyscrapers everywhere. It looks so impressive. The nighttime explorations must be mind-boggling.