JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tzikitzake (Offline)
New to JF

my cycling tour in Japan 2008 - 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM

hi, I just was reminding my cycling tour through japan, summer of 2008 ,through 5 weeks I enjoyed the fantastic environment from hokkaido until the end of kyushu (sata misaki), I came back with a quite different look of that magic country, you know here in basq country (europe) people has just the image of the japanese big cities...
I just wanted to share my experience with you, if anybody want just to talk about it...
just some pictures of my trip:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010601.JPG (33.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P1010707.JPG (24.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg P1010771.JPG (37.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg P1010900.JPG (34.1 KB, 68 views)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-07-2010, 09:23 PM

That's awesome!!!

I was thinking of doing a cross country tour of Japan as well.

Did you do it alone? Do you have a blog or trip report set up?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tzikitzake (Offline)
New to JF

01-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Hi there,

well, I think I'm too lazy and haven't a blog, trip report or similar, sorry, I just made a dvd with the pictures and it was harder than the trip itself

I made around 3800km (around 120km per day), the harder maybe was the hot weather (august), specially around Kyoto and sorroundings, even harder than the mountainous geography (specially central alps), but the environment was really beautiful, full of vegetation. If you need any suggestion, let me know

I see you're alpinist, actually I'm too, I enjoyed some years ago climbing in the rockies in summer (I have to go in winter). For the moment I'm skiing here in the pirineos mountain range (between spain and france), its snowing fine (not like in Canada, of course )
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-08-2010, 05:06 PM

That sounds like an awesome tour. I've done several bicycle tours in western Canada but our roads and facilities are tour-friendly. The shoulders are fairly wide and well maintained, there are many rest stops and campgrounds along the way, etc.

I'd imagine the roads are narrow and steep in Japan but I was wondering how friendly Japan was in regards to random camping. Of course staying in a Ryokan each night would be great but it could get pricey.

Yes, I've been into alpine for quite a while but I'm on an extended break due to some rock climbing injuries. However, one of my plans is to do a winter ascent of Mt. Fuji next November. Anything to beat those summer crowds! Hahaha!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tzikitzake (Offline)
New to JF

01-11-2010, 03:31 PM

I didn't have problems with the traffic, I used secondary roads, but in main roads connecting big cities you'll find heavy traffic. anyway, usually you have a big shoulder for bikes, specially near cities, even in most tunels (lots of them in japan).

I slept in different places, always depending on the "moment", you wont have problem with free camping (I slept in small parks like rest stops by the road, even without tent, but then the problem were the mosquitos, so then I should go into the tent which was very hot!!, but there's not many campgrounds, actually I never was in one of them. You will have visit of monkeys at night sometimes, specially in Hokkaido. sometimes I slept in Min-shu-ku, its like a Guest houses in rural/turistic areas (with onsen...) and too expensive (cheaper than ryokans)

hope good recuperation from injuries (I have some shoulder problems too ), I wasn't in Fuji, basically for the same reason, I think it's a mountain to enjoy in winter, YES!!!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-15-2010, 01:51 AM

Thanks for info. I'll get in touch with you if/when I decide to do my tour.

One of the other trips I wanted to do was a hike from Tokyo to Osaka along the Tokaido Shizen Hodo. It sounds like an awesome adventure but like the bicycle tour, my concerns are with the accommodations along the way. (Maybe 90 nights or so are required.)

Ah well... I gotta concentrate on getting better first. I shattered my right elbow into about 20 pieces after taking a leader fall on an alpine trad route last July. Still haven't recovered yet. Ugh...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Ooo, very nice indeed!

Did you take a bicycle, or rent one when you arrived?

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-30-2010, 01:25 PM

That is really cool. Japan has some amazing scenery, I kind of missed it travelling everywhere by train.

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tzikitzake (Offline)
New to JF

hi - 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM

hi there, I had my own bike, packed in a box on the plane, I didn't use any train (yo have to pack your bike...), but I use some ferries which is a very nice way to enjoy the trip and very eay with the bike.

I'm sure i'll be back some day in Nihon, but better in Autumn or spring, even in winter.

more questions wellcome, and if someone comes to basq country, of course!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Yakza (Offline)
New to JF

06-11-2010, 08:21 AM

Hi tzikitzaki Thank you for sharing this awesome trip with us!
Have a few questions regarding the trip since I also plan to do the across-Japan trip in the future.
Did you eat out or cooked for yourselves? If yes, how did it work out for you, no problems with locals?
How much money did you invest traveling by bike in total? (not including flight expenses).
Have you encountered any technical difficulties on the way, and how did you take care of that? bike shops?
Alright, enough for now Thank you for your time tzitzaki! Have a good day!

Kindly, Jima