JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
SakanaMidori (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SakanaMidori Send a message via Skype™ to SakanaMidori
01-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akavir View Post
Hell everyone. In a weak or two I am going to buy a Katana, just because it is so Beautiful Who else is going to buy a Katana soon and who can give me some advise with choosing a Katana?

Herzlichen Dank!
Like the phone?

ahaha! Just kidding.

I've no advice, I'm just telling a funny joke!

Persoanlly, I wouldn't care, but they are pretty. And if you're going just for looks, get the prettiest one!

まるかいをいきましょう!!
まるかいとみつわはいちばんですよ!!
Irony rules the world.
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8v...order="0" alt=
Proud to be a Japanophile--that is, if you know what the word REALLY means.
Fellow Japanophiles:
RetroGamer77
MMM
Kireikoori
Akoni
Amnell
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Kmurry (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Kmurry
01-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
haha tulsa. yeah good luck finding a kendo instructor in ur area. wooo
Well, it was just a thought. I keep my eyes open for a dojo. But where would I get in touch with other people that like swords like I do?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Ichigo2013 (Offline)
Sound Village for LIFE!!

Send a message via MSN to Ichigo2013 Send a message via Yahoo to Ichigo2013
01-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Hell everyone. In a weak or two I am going to buy a Katana, just because it is so Beautiful Who else is going to buy a Katana soon and who can give me some advise with choosing a Katana?

Herzlichen Dank!
I is going to find one soon! But right now I'm buying a recipe book, bento box, and some food!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

01-19-2008, 03:56 AM

Just FYI, Kendo doesn't really teach you how to use a real sword. Kendo is fencing with bamboo swords, and the techniques and movements used in it are, for the most part, not applicable to that of real swordplay. I know this because I've been in kendo for several years (quit awhile back though because of the hours of the classes).

On the other hand, there are other martial arts, Kenjutsu, Shinkendo, and Iaido, all which have to do with using a real sword. Dojos for these martial arts are much more difficult to find in the US than a Kendo dojo, but they do exist - I've visited a few in the past just to see what they were like.

Also, Kendo is an ungodly expensive martial art. Hopefully you find a dojo which is cheap (run by a university or something like that), because just the equipment costs can be painful. A full set of BEGINNER'S armor runs around $300 minimum. A good shinai (bamboo sword) runs around $50. Equipment has to be replaced somewhat often, as they get worn out.

Lastly, Kendo is also one of the hardest martial arts I've ever been involved with. Just a few short rounds of sparring can really take the wind out of you until you learn to properly control breathing and such. It takes years and years to build up your speed and technique. The turnover rate in Kendo is pretty harsh - in the classes that I was in, only about 30-40% of the people there continued kendo after they bought their armor.

There are kendo resources on the internet dedicated to finding dojos, just use google and you'll see all sorts of stuff. Hope this information helps!

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MarkDuff (Offline)
*yawns*

01-19-2008, 04:30 AM

Man katanas are awsome I just got one for my b-day.

My JF family and D.N.A. And Perv Club. Oh and please sign my Guest book. And please no bad comments
FINAL FANTASY CLAN: CODE NAME: AURON
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Kmurry (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Kmurry
01-20-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Just FYI, Kendo doesn't really teach you how to use a real sword. Kendo is fencing with bamboo swords, and the techniques and movements used in it are, for the most part, not applicable to that of real swordplay. I know this because I've been in kendo for several years (quit awhile back though because of the hours of the classes).

On the other hand, there are other martial arts, Kenjutsu, Shinkendo, and Iaido, all which have to do with using a real sword. Dojos for these martial arts are much more difficult to find in the US than a Kendo dojo, but they do exist - I've visited a few in the past just to see what they were like.

Also, Kendo is an ungodly expensive martial art. Hopefully you find a dojo which is cheap (run by a university or something like that), because just the equipment costs can be painful. A full set of BEGINNER'S armor runs around $300 minimum. A good shinai (bamboo sword) runs around $50. Equipment has to be replaced somewhat often, as they get worn out.

Lastly, Kendo is also one of the hardest martial arts I've ever been involved with. Just a few short rounds of sparring can really take the wind out of you until you learn to properly control breathing and such. It takes years and years to build up your speed and technique. The turnover rate in Kendo is pretty harsh - in the classes that I was in, only about 30-40% of the people there continued kendo after they bought their armor.

There are kendo resources on the internet dedicated to finding dojos, just use google and you'll see all sorts of stuff. Hope this information helps!
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KeithDas (Offline)
JF Regular

Nice! - 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM

Kendo looks to be great fun...... mabey a little painful though.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Those so-called 'Hanzo' swords are all Chinese knockoffs. You cannot buy a real katana sword without putting down at least several hundred dollars minimum (and thats only for an Iaido-quality beginner's sword). The real cheap ones you see on a lot of sword websites are machine-made, Chinese wallhangers. Wallhanger meaning they are only fit for hanging on a wall - you don't want to swing one of those, as they can easily break free from the tsuka.
That is exactly what I want it for so Hanzo's will do it for me. Woooah Mark, post a pic of yours!! >.<

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sylar (Offline)
New to JF

01-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Herzlichen Dank!
Like OMFG!? Isn't that really fucking expensive?

"YATTAA!!!"
(#20 (permalink))
Old
mtnbkr01201 (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I live in Pittsfield, Mass. USA. And wish I lived in Ireland.
Send a message via Yahoo to mtnbkr01201
01-21-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDuff View Post
Man katanas are awsome I just got one for my b-day.
Hi
If you ever get a chance, you should take a picture of your new Katana and show us, I'd like to see it.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength, and the joy of living If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.
Tehcumseh, Indian Warrior