JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
heavenseven (Offline)
New to JF

Katana's of WW2 - 02-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Hello everybody,

I have a question about katana's in the WW2 period.

I need to know if it was common to paint the sheaths? And if it was, what kind of paint did they use??

To me, this is really important.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Kendra

Better to be carried well by a Mule than to be thrown onto the sand by a Horse
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-10-2008, 04:27 AM

I doubt that it was common to paint the sheaths during WWII. All materials were in a serious shortage back then. They may have painted them, but not nearly as lavishly as they had before they got into the war.

This is why the swords produced in that period are now being bought and sold for at least 10 times less than the ones produced before WWII, many of which were magnificient pieces of art and not just mass-produced weapons.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Powermad147 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
I doubt that it was common to paint the sheaths during WWII. All materials were in a serious shortage back then. They may have painted them, but not nearly as lavishly as they had before they got into the war.

This is why the swords produced in that period are now being bought and sold for at least 10 times less than the ones produced before WWII, many of which were magnificient pieces of art and not just mass-produced weapons.
I must ask, were the Katana's used in WWII, or were they mostly symbolism of rank and importance, as they are for the militaries of the west?

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
03-10-2008, 06:54 AM

Most officers carried katanas, and a lot of the rank and file had one, also. There were instances of them being used when the Japanese troops, on the verge of defeat, would charge the American lines. I saw it on a documentary a long time ago that when the American GIs saw the charge, they would look for and shoot the guys with their swords drawn, first, because when they got close, it sucked.

Apparently, the M1 Garand just isn't as good a close combat weapon as the Katana XD .

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
suishinshi (Offline)
New to JF

swords in ww2 - 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Usually, sheaths are lacquerd in black and red.
Japanese sword is sorted by style or length, Tachi, katana, Wakizashi, Tantoh, and Guntoh.
Because of ww2, many Guntoh were made.
Guntoh is a saber, in English.
Sheath of Guntoh are Western style, and plated with silver and nickel.

Had it cramped for the aggravation of the war situation, and the quality deteriorated steadily.

There're many kind of Guntoh.
Please study that.

98-shiki guntoh has many existing numbers and is a kind to represent a Japanese saber.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Alan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Alan
09-09-2008, 05:56 PM

Yes, most swords produced during the war were mass produced and of inferior quality compared to traditionally made swords. However, there were a few traditional swords carried (most often by very high ranking officers) that were family heirlooms.

To the point though, I'm sure that even the mass produced blades had lacquered saya; but, finding out what kind of lacquer could prove difficult. In any case, the lacquer itself was probably of inferior quality too.

Dyslexic devil worshipers sell their souls to Santa.