LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-01-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodo View Post
In a way, art has almost always been a series of worldwide influences/connections. Ukiyo-e (Japanese prints) if I remember correctly, had a great influence on Van Gogh and his art.
And a culture related to the respected region.

For example: if you want to understand Japanese art, you MUST also learn Korean and Chinese counterparts as well.

Japan, Korea, and China is, in fact, under the East Asian Cultural Sphere (EACS).

And styles and approaches of calligraphy is a great example of doing it.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

06-25-2010, 05:15 PM

I really liked the calligraphy on that website even though I have no idea of the meaning but artistically it is so dramatic. Do japanese people like it?

My friend told me that you have to kneel to do japanese calligraphy correctly. Is that general?

I believe that japanese calligraphy did come from China originally?

Interesting to read about Korea also.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

06-25-2010, 05:31 PM

A Chinese friend of mine, an old flatmate, was a calligraphy enthusiast! Everyday, he would spend no less than 1 hour practicing! With everything he showed me and told me about calligraphy in China, Japan etc I was never really impressed compared to Arabic Calligraphy!

I don't think Chinese or Japanese calligraphy is necessarily made to look beautiful, and perhaps that's why I don't appreciate it! My friend done it almost as a meditation tool. I don't know if it's just him, but I can see it being that way!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

06-25-2010, 09:30 PM

Don't some people use calligraphy as a sort of meditation.

I think personal taste may come into this-- but I for one love japanese calligraphy

Should one compare with other countries calligraphy and its development?

Its good to compare and enjoy what ever suits the individual taste all beautiful in their own way. Arabic calligraphy must have developed differently from that of Japan etc etc. All is fascinating and compelling

My own handwriting is appalling so I appreciate calligraphy more so.

Its rather like ART-- so varied but thats whats great about it. its interesting to know how each countries writing technique developed. Much must be rather like heiroglyphics-- making pictures that express meaning.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
GoOsT (Offline)
New to JF

A picture - 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Hello everyone!
I've got a little "problem".
I've got a picture, a write, a proverb from Japan.
Unfortunatelly i dunno what does it mean, so ill appreciate that if somebody able to translate for me , if you can speak japanese, and u can help me, pls send a message here, or to my e-mail address.
E-mail: d-_-b_lax@hotmail.com
U send me an e-mail ill be freackin' happy, and im gonna take a picture about it and send u.
Thx for ure help!!!!
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-30-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Don't some people use calligraphy as a sort of meditation.

I don't know but I was once told that you could sit seiza until your heart becomes calm and write the most beautiful caligraphy.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Todayer (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via ICQ to Todayer Send a message via Skype™ to Todayer
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM

Thanx, i very like it!

To become more strongly every day!
My gallery: https://todayer.ru
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Japanese calligraphy as well as Chinese calligraphy is not just about putting down strokes on paper...

Some things that separate "good" from "bad":

- balance + composition
- line quality
・ strokes should in areas be bold, thin, dark, and light
・ In general NO "BLAND" STROKES ← this is crucial...

Here is a gallery of some of my pieces for those interested in seeing some pretty "good" calligraphy, or at least I think it's pretty good: 書Calligraphyofjapan道

As much as I admire and respect your passion, it is difficult for me to acknowledge your work as calligraphy. Sorry to say, but you are lacking the basics.

The balance is distorted, lines inconsistent (kasure used for writing "bones" of the character) and the whole construction is uncertain. Your works do not follow neither Chinese or Japanese calligraphy rules, not even 禅筆道 which is the most liberal of them all. It seems that you have picked up some hints from the net and started to write, which is great, but before you get into bad habits i strongly suggest to slow down.

If you truly want to advance, please start with the basics. Find a teacher that could guide you, and study 臨書. If you want i could point you at decent websites that have a lot of free information on calligraphy.

Hope you wont take it wrongly, but calligraphy is my life and I could not help writing my thoughts down.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, Practice is crucial when it comes to calligraphy. And after loads of practice, I sometimes feel that the thing most important is to follow your instincts rather than think too much before every stroke.
Correct. To achieve good 行気 in 書 one needs to write through 無心 with his heart not mind. To do so, one also needs years of practice using his brain and thinking of every stroke he makes. If you start writing with only your heart from the beginning, you will skip over the foundations, which in effect will give poor results - weak 書風.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
A Chinese friend of mine, an old flatmate, was a calligraphy enthusiast! Everyday, he would spend no less than 1 hour practicing! With everything he showed me and told me about calligraphy in China, Japan etc I was never really impressed compared to Arabic Calligraphy!

I don't think Chinese or Japanese calligraphy is necessarily made to look beautiful, and perhaps that's why I don't appreciate it! My friend done it almost as a meditation tool. I don't know if it's just him, but I can see it being that way!
Calligraphy is a poetry of lines and meaning. It speaks to those who are able to meditate with it. Not only the person that writes enters the meditative state. If the viewer is not able to do so he wont be able to connect with it. Not everyone likes poetry, not everyone likes abstraction. Calligraphy is a bit of both. A lot of Japanese people do not understand it, they simply want to rush through it.