JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Hy ryuurui

I am in sussex in the UK. The chinese gentleman I spoke about lives with an English partner in some famous cottages here in sussex.

He is alovely young man. The thing is I was keen to learn how to write japanese calligraphy and not chinese. Private lessons are so expensive, I am on a small pension so its not too easy.

I have two books on shodo-- but to be honest I have not yet persevered. Shame on ME. I seem to have so many other activities in my life but not made time to really get down to real study and practice.

I realise that one has to be dedicated and practice daily.

It certainly is beautiful when done well. I am sure that because of your passion for what you do that you will succeed.

http://www.solarnavigator.net/geogra...ttages_top.jpg hopefully you can see this photo of the cottages at cuckmere. artist lives in the lower cottage.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-24-2010 at 03:54 PM.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Hy ryuurui

I am in sussex in the UK. The chinese gentleman I spoke about lives with an English partner in some famous cottages here in sussex.

He is alovely young man. The thing is I was keen to learn how to write japanese calligraphy and not chinese. Private lessons are so expensive, I am on a small pension so its not too easy.

I have two books on shodo-- but to be honest I have not yet persevered. Shame on ME. I seem to have so many other activities in my life but not made time to really get down to real study and practice.

I realise that one has to be dedicated and practice daily.

It certainly is beautiful when done well. I am sure that because of your passion for what you do that you will succeed.

http://www.solarnavigator.net/geogra...ttages_top.jpg hopefully you can see this photo of the cottages at cuckmere. artist lives in the lower cottage.

oh wow, that is really beautiful . Looks like cliffs of Dover.

You are very correct, it takes a lot of time and devotion. I can easily spend the entire weekend on writing, and all of my free time. I wish I could have a small income from studying it or selling works, then I can do it 24/7.

Well, if one day you want to try I could direct you to good free websites that possibly could help you start studying. You don't need to do it "professionally". Calligraphy is a great way of meditating and recipe for longevity.

Japanese calligraphy is a bit different than Chinese.for example they don't have kana in Chinese, so they could not write this:

(#33 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-27-2010, 06:57 PM

I believe there is an art in doing the bamboo etc. It too is beautiful and I understand what you mean about the KANA.

I will get back to you later. regards, Babs in UK. PS thank you for your kind offer.

By the way, I hope sometime that your dream will come true.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-28-2010 at 09:12 AM.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-29-2010, 10:27 AM

Cheers, I appreciate it. Sure thing, let me know and I ll gather some information for you.