JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Art (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/)
-   -   Kimonos,Ikebanas,Tea ceremony .... (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-art/2794-kimonos-ikebanas-tea-ceremony.html)

yoneko 03-04-2007 07:49 AM

Kimonos,Ikebanas,Tea ceremony ....

Anybody interested in talking about these arts?

annelie82 03-06-2007 06:11 PM

I just posted a thread in the Food forum about the origins of Japanese tea-drinking, so yeah, I'm interested. ^^ Don't know much about them though, except that the Japanese word for tea ("o-cha") may derive from the Portuguese word for tea ("cha").

EDIT: Nyororin just informed me that tea-drinking was brought into Japan from China and then *exported to Portugal*. Apparently tea has been consumed in Asia since the 9th Century.

Thanks, Nyororin!

~annelie

maitrekong 03-06-2007 07:21 PM

yeah these items are very interesting i would be have more informations to :)

yoneko 03-29-2007 02:40 PM

The Divine Japanese Tea

About Japanese Green Tea

Complementary and Alternative Medicine Index (CAM)

virago 04-29-2007 12:15 PM

I'm fascinated by kimono's, I actually went to a kimono fashion show that was put up in Norway sometime last year. They looked simply amazing.

Really starting to like green tea more and more as well, although the usual stuff you can get here in Norway is really old and not very well kept (they keep the leaves in a big barrel, not vacuum packed, for a LONG time). Hoping to buy some at o-cha.com soon, I just don't know which yet ;)

glaylover 04-29-2007 01:12 PM

When I was living in Kyoto I took traditional dance lessons and got to perform onstage it was an amazing experience.
My JApanese 'grandmother' was a kimono collector and professional dresser. I had many opportunities to wear an learn about kimono.
I even got to dress in the traditional wedding outfit once wig and all.....so heavy!
I love the traditional arts, it's just such a pitty that most young japanese people today don't study them as often, or that's what I found in our town. I was the only person in my dance class under the age of about 55!!! But they made me feel so welcome and they her helpful...plus they used to bring me sweets every lesson to have with tea so I loved them even more!

virago 04-29-2007 01:37 PM

Yeah, it's a shame.. The show I went to was by a group from Japan who are trying to encourage people to learn more about Japanese tradition, they travel all over the world. It was really nice, they had people ranging in age from 5 to 80-something.. Wouldn't mind seeing more of those kinda things..

They did some traditional dances and showed some traditional ways of celebrating various holidays etc, it was great :)

glaylover 04-29-2007 01:54 PM

Yeah what I found also which was really fun was the Obon festival. Getting dressed up in Yukata(sweltering in the kansai heat and humidity of summer) and dancing through the streets with the rest of the town. So much fun!

Kanji_The_Wanderer 05-11-2007 03:35 AM

What certain events go on in "Tea ceremonies"? What are they for?

Tolbarizhei 05-11-2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer (Post 120658)
What certain events go on in "Tea ceremonies"? What are they for?

definetely interested, and if anyone has time to do a little research on the history of kimonos id definetely be interested in knowing more