LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-03-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Special traits? What are these "special traits" you allude to? If you are talking about cultural, historical or language then I already covered this when I gave you the correct term to apply to this (nation).

If you are talking genetic or biological... well that is the outdated part I was referring to. There are regional genetic tendencies but they are vast (i.e. continental) and not consistent. I would really love to go into more detail here but my field is not biology/medicine/genetics. The conclusions they come to concerning race are relevant to my field of study however.
Let's be clear that there is not one "Asian race" as there is not one "White race". Clear distinctions can be seen between Irish folks, German folks, and Swedish folks, just to name three. The same is true in Asia.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
SatoriOne (Offline)
JF Regular

07-03-2008, 07:23 AM

The white skin, or rather light skin perception exists in many cultures. In latino cultures most people want their children to be light because it shows they are of more European ancestry. They will also not be discriminated against like darker skinned people. It is unfortunate but that is how things are in Latin America.

In the case of the Japanese it is different. I believe it has to do with percieved beauty. White is clean and pure. In the past it also signified that a person had a sheltered life as they do not go out and work in the sun. Those people of course being the rich. So you can see it as a status thing that has still carried over to the present day.

I myself am dark skinned and I prefer it that way. I dont get burned so easily and a lot of chicks find it exotic.
(#123 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-03-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Let's be clear that there is not one "Asian race" as there is not one "White race". Clear distinctions can be seen between Irish folks, German folks, and Swedish folks, just to name three. The same is true in Asia.
I think you're again misunderstanding me.

I agree that there isn't an "Asian" race or "White" race. In fact you'll find that I find the notion of race outdated. But I completely disagree that there are measurable, clear, consistent physical distinctions between nations within a region. Nor are there clear consistent GENETIC distinctions between humans as a whole that seperate us into "race". (The regional similarities I talk about are concerning a particular gene or genes, but not overall. And like I said before they aren't consistently found in all the people within a region, rather they are more numerous in some regions than in others.)
(#124 (permalink))
Old
Shinshiro (Offline)
New to JF

07-04-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Are you Japanese?

Demure might be "ideal" in courting, but Japanese women run households and raise children, so "demure" and "frail" only has so much value.

Acting "cute" gets you attention. Acting "weak" does too. But those aren't the women that men want to marry. Those are just for fun.
Yes I am Japanese. Does that give me plus or negative points in this argument?
I think Japanese men do in fact desire to marry these “frail” and unassertive women. However I find most Japanese women can be both genteel and submissive, and also strong willed and reliable when need be. I do think you need to put on the submissive façade first though, cus that’s what men think they want, at least. Many men will shy away from a girl who is too headstrong.
I say all this as my own opinion from what I have observed. I don’t claim this to be universal, I am sure many Japanese men like strong girls too. Nor do I think it is how it should be. It’s just what I feel is the case.
Sorry about going talking about sexism in this thread, which has nothing do with it. Eeep :s
(#125 (permalink))
Old
Hellkite (Offline)
Finally, in LOVE!

Send a message via MSN to Hellkite Send a message via Yahoo to Hellkite Send a message via Skype™ to Hellkite
07-04-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Are you Japanese?

Demure might be "ideal" in courting, but Japanese women run households and raise children, so "demure" and "frail" only has so much value.

Acting "cute" gets you attention. Acting "weak" does too. But those aren't the women that men want to marry. Those are just for fun.

well, hahaha. you described my dream wife now! cute and weak, i would not say they are just for fun,i would marry one like her! and caring for household and children, well, thats the best which could happen to you! hahaha. but back to the topic, i guess, they want white skin, because dark skin or brown skin would not fit to their style, or to their look anyway! and i think, with white skin, they look even cuter! hahaha. really!

Japan, I come next year!! wohooo!!
(#126 (permalink))
Old
Fire_Girl625 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Fire_Girl625 Send a message via Yahoo to Fire_Girl625
07-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Pale skin was once considered a sign of wealth, because that ment they didn't work in the sun as often. This was true almost world round, and still is in many cultures. Today, it's probably to make them look more traditional, or more victorian depending on the style. This, I believe, is called Bihaku, or Beautiful White.

Also, there is a popular style in which it is better to be tan, Ganguro. This look is popular amongst Japanese high school students, which also includes dying one's hair blonde. The point, I think, is to look more "American".

Personaly, I like the Bihaku look. I think it looks more regal and sophisticated, and makes women look feminine like princesses or ladies, and men look like princes and lords. Though there are LOTS of Japanese Ganguros who look very cute too, in their own way.
(#127 (permalink))
Old
Ambro (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Ambro
07-04-2008, 08:48 PM

I think this whole color thing is kinda like this, you want what you cant have.
Me for example, I am white and I think darker females are alot hotter then just the plain old white, since... well all women are white in my country and it gets kinda boring. So I find a nice japanese girl or a latino alot prettier then my fellow citizens.
And I assume its abit similar to that in most countries, different feels more exotic in a way.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I think you're again misunderstanding me.

I agree that there isn't an "Asian" race or "White" race. In fact you'll find that I find the notion of race outdated. But I completely disagree that there are measurable, clear, consistent physical distinctions between nations within a region. Nor are there clear consistent GENETIC distinctions between humans as a whole that seperate us into "race". (The regional similarities I talk about are concerning a particular gene or genes, but not overall. And like I said before they aren't consistently found in all the people within a region, rather they are more numerous in some regions than in others.)
We've had this argument before. The more "pure" the bloodline the easier it is to see distinctions, but thankfully they are beginning to fade ever-so-slightly worldwide.

I don't think we know enough DNA to definitively say there are no genetic distinctions between humans when some humans clearly have pale skin and some have very dark skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinshiro View Post
Yes I am Japanese. Does that give me plus or negative points in this argument?
I think Japanese men do in fact desire to marry these “frail” and unassertive women. However I find most Japanese women can be both genteel and submissive, and also strong willed and reliable when need be. I do think you need to put on the submissive façade first though, cus that’s what men think they want, at least. Many men will shy away from a girl who is too headstrong.
I say all this as my own opinion from what I have observed. I don’t claim this to be universal, I am sure many Japanese men like strong girls too. Nor do I think it is how it should be. It’s just what I feel is the case.
Sorry about going talking about sexism in this thread, which has nothing do with it. Eeep :s

There is a difference between being "frail" and weak and being quiet and not outlandish. And yo are right, women do what they need to do to get a man. Nothing "frail" about that.
(#129 (permalink))
Old
xkohakux (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2008, 07:27 PM

I´m not sure how it is in other european countrys or in America, but in Germany we have body lotion which makes your complexion darker. Because a lot of people like a tan during the whole year.

When I was in Japan I saw a body lotion which bleaches your skin. This is normal my penpal told me. And she really didn´t belive me when I said in Germany we are trying to get a tan.

For me I like both, fair or dark skin.

Probably people always want to have what´s exotic for them...
(#130 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-06-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
We've had this argument before. The more "pure" the bloodline the easier it is to see distinctions, but thankfully they are beginning to fade ever-so-slightly worldwide.
I'm sorry but that's a huge and completely unscientific conclusion you've jumped to. You're going to have to define what constitutes a pure bloodline and then give me an example of a nation which is "pure" for me to understand that.

Again... There is no measurable physical or genetic difference between a Han Chinese, Korean or a Japanese. This is a scientific fact whether you believe otherwise or not.

Quote:
I don't think we know enough DNA to definitively say there are no genetic distinctions between humans when some humans clearly have pale skin and some have very dark skin.
I think we do... and I think that these distinctions come under the regional tendencies I was talking about.
Closed Thread