JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Akazukin (Offline)
New to JF

Become the Lolita - 05-29-2008, 09:48 AM

Just some tips for the Loli-chans.
Newbie Lolitas should never hesitate to buy whatever they find is just so kawaii! Understand that one can be a Gothloli and Sweetloli. It's all about dressing in whatever you find adorable. Though you must also remember the one and true lolita law: "To be innocent and pure as best as possible". Don't just throw your dress on sloppily! Examine the girls (or guys) in the magazines, online, or in anime and see how their dresses are aligned. Wearing panniers under a dress will give the dress it's cute bell-like shape. Decking out in silver (or gold) will complete your outfit much better than you think (Just try not to over over over do it). Never wear sneakers or tennis shoes or the like, they will look horrible! But while your at it, polish some of your etiquette skills. Remember to be polite and courteous to others; yes, even if they aren't to you. Almost everybody on this Earth has been made fun of. Ignore the Neanderthals, unless it gets serious, then you can (as I unfortunately might do with enthusiasm) defend yourself or alert authority like peeps. Activities to do as a Lolita (if you choose to make it your lifestyle also) could range from learning calligraphy or embroidery (like in Kamikaze Girls!). Do some research about what the aristocratic ladies and gents back in the Edwardian, Victorian, Baroque, or Rococo. They usually liked stuff like horseback riding, having tea parties, going to plays or operas, or visiting museums. It is also fun to buy antique knick knacks, such as tea cups, curtains, or furniture. You can completely warp yourself back in time! Remember! Anyone is welcomed into Lolita! Whether if your in your thirties or if you live in California, you can still embrace your Lolita inner self. Let's spread Loli to the ends of the Earth.

"The world would be a better place if the only words we knew were "I love you".
(#2 (permalink))
Old
NeoVisualizm (Offline)
Noodles^_^

05-29-2008, 11:42 AM

oow thank you so much for this beautiful guide!
I love lolita very much but i didnt wear a lolita dress before XD
besides lolita dresses are way too expensive *-* i need to save up a lot! *-*
but i think.. i have.. kind of.. lolita lifestyle.. not completely tho! XD

But there is one thing tht I wonder, what do lolitas wear in normal life? Do they keep wearing petticoats and such??

☆ My Jeong, Hikaru, Sakae, Juka, Narumi, Satsuki, Rubii, Yuji, Jun ☆
☆ Claimer,ajsnoopy ☆ Claim,Miyavifan ☆
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Akazukin (Offline)
New to JF

05-29-2008, 03:07 PM

Japanese school girls only have Sunday off so they usually go to the Harajuku (the cosplay area in Tokyo) and dress up in Lolita. There they would mingle with cosplayers, visual kei peeps, and other Lolitas, get their photos taken for several magazines, or just acting their calm and elegant Lolita selfs. During school and weekdays, however, they would usually wear normal clothing. But some take Lolita as their preferred clothing and dress in it all of the time (like Momoko from Kamikaze Girls). Also for buying Lolita clothing. It is a bit expensive, but many Lolitas make their own clothing if they can't afford them. But if you lack sewing skills, you can buy Lolita-like skirts from places like Walmart or thrift stores. And adorn yourself in cheap accessories!

"The world would be a better place if the only words we knew were "I love you".
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-29-2008, 09:06 PM

I agree with most of what you said, and find it good advice ^_^

However, I have to disagree with this statement:

' Newbie Lolitas should never hesitate to buy whatever they find is just so kawaii!'

I wish it were true, but being Lolita takes a lot of organisation and co-ordination. If you just buy random things that are 'Kawaii' you may end up on a website called 'Lolita Fucks.' This website display people who are doing Lolita completely wrong - and although it's pretty harsh I'm sure most people don't want to end up there! Also I'm sure if people want to be Gothic Lolita, they want to do it properly. Buying things that are 'kawaii' is good, as long as the co-ordinate and look elegant and fit with your outfit! Just my input there ^_^
(#5 (permalink))
Old
NeoVisualizm (Offline)
Noodles^_^

05-30-2008, 08:00 AM

ooww they only have Sunday off??owww i see... hmm...
alright i get it! thank you Akazukin!!^-^v

hmmm... thats a good point miss misa.. hmm..
I didnt see wrong lolitas tho.. i mean on website or so.. maybe i should check!^^

☆ My Jeong, Hikaru, Sakae, Juka, Narumi, Satsuki, Rubii, Yuji, Jun ☆
☆ Claimer,ajsnoopy ☆ Claim,Miyavifan ☆
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sweetlolitachii (Offline)
A Cute Kangaroo? Where?!

06-02-2008, 11:46 PM

I really like the guide you posted. I'm a Gothic and Sweet Lolita on the side, and I live in Alabama so nobody knows why I dress up like that when I go out in public. -_- Haha, I just laugh when people stare. I'm also pretty poor so I find whatever dresses work for me and I normally top it off with a cute Japanese hairstyle. (I have naturally curly hair, so I don't have to get a perm.) And when I'm not wearing my dresses, I usually dress in casual skirts and pants, or dress Goth Punk.

But yes, I agree on that guideline. Unfortunately, a lot of people can't afford dresses and such, so it's really hard to pull everything together. =( (I find online stores like vivcore and Baby the Stars Shine Bright have a bunch of stuff if you can't get it at your local stores. It may be costly, but you definitely find what you want.)

Everyone, don't give up though and don't be afraid to be your inner Lolita! ^_^
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Jeebus (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2008, 12:20 AM

Thank you for this guide. Although I am going for Decora, I love Lolita styles!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ayriel (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2008, 06:36 AM

Nice guide =)
I've noticed i have almost a lolita lifestyle... i love crafting, baroque, rococo, edwardian, watching operas, classical music, elegant looks, and i tend to be polite with everyone (even if they hate me)

But... my city is way too hot... Lolita clothes are too heavy D:

I will make a lolita dress soon... I promise i'll post it here =)
(#9 (permalink))
Old
CaraHime (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akazukin View Post
Examine the girls (or guys) in the magazines, online, or in anime and see how their dresses are aligned.
Actually, I wouldn't recommend looking at how anime girls wear lolita. We get a lot of cat ears and frilly beasts that way...
Other than that and what has already been said in other posts, you're pretty accurate.
However, I'd like to add that it isn't a MUST to be a lifestyle lolita. You don't have to enjoy tea parties, embroidery, etc to dress lolita. It's never bad to be polite and courteous, but if all lolitas are that way, why have lolitas earned the stereotype of being elitist bitches?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
LiberiFatali (Offline)
Magni Nominis Umbra

06-03-2008, 06:11 PM

I have a Gothloli dress I wear only when I jam on my guitar and pretending to be a J-rocker.

If your wings have been broken
and you can no longer move
come to find your peace with me
nestled here against my chest.
I will welcome you to this place
where flowers forever bloom
and will give to you a dream
from which you will not awake.