LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

02-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephilip View Post
i suggest the word "RESPECT" .. it'll look cool on your neck...
yes. since people with tattoos on necks all are.

IMO, these tattoos like "respect, dream, love" are the dumbest things one can ink on their body, specially if westerner does it in kanji.

if you want to be very unoriginal then simply get a tattoo of your sign - scorpion, cancer etc...
(#12 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Actually I have a better suggestion now for a great tattoo.

=>

This is sure to show everyone how cool you are with your new hip "asian" tattoo.

Last edited by RickOShay : 02-12-2011 at 10:52 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Tattoos generally say "i am insecure", "I suffer from a lack of emotional/mental intelligence", and/or "I come from a poor social background". These connotations are even stronger in Japan. Fortunately, many people who get tattoos one day wise-up, which is why laser tattoo removal is currently such a big business. People should be able to respect you for who and what you are, rather than the markings you put on your body. If tattoos are required to "fit-in", then you are hanging with the wrong crowd.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghap View Post
Exactley.

It seems I was unluckey !

2 lines have joined so the symbol probabley dosent mean what i was told

Starbird Stock Designs Catalog

The left symbol is my own mark....

We can all be stupid when were young but can i ask even with a little tattoo like this is there still consequences?

within Japan?
That link shows a kanji that is not Japanese. There are lines missing on the second character.

勇気

There are always consequences.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 05:12 AM

Tattoos are more or less permanent. And, that's why mixing them with a faddish design that you mistakenly confuse as 'classic' ends up something you regret.

Nothing is more pathetic than spotting a 'tramp stamp' on an aging 40-something woman.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-13-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Tattoos generally say "i am insecure", "I suffer from a lack of emotional/mental intelligence", and/or "I come from a poor social background". These connotations are even stronger in Japan. Fortunately, many people who get tattoos one day wise-up, which is why laser tattoo removal is currently such a big business. People should be able to respect you for who and what you are, rather than the markings you put on your body. If tattoos are required to "fit-in", then you are hanging with the wrong crowd.
Riiiiight, that's not over-generalizing and judgmental AT ALL. Tell us more, oh righteous one.

While some tattooing is done for fad (especially these days), a lot are also done for meaningful, artistic and spiritual purposes.

You have made so many high-horse blanketed generalizations in that one paragraph, I don't even know where to begin to reply. Nor do I think I even want to have a conversation with someone as ignorant as you sound.

Last edited by xkmkmlmx : 02-13-2011 at 06:13 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmkmlmx View Post
Riiiiight, that's not over-generalizing and judgmental AT ALL. Tell us more, oh righteous one.

While some tattooing is done for fad (especially these days), a lot are also done for meaningful, artistic and spiritual purposes.

You have made so many high-horse blanketed generalizations in that one paragraph, I don't even know where to begin to reply. Nor do I think I even want to have a conversation with someone as ignorant as you sound.
Yeah. I equate tattoos with body art, or something.. not all that other crap. I mean personally I would never get one, but to say that anybody with a tattoo falls into one of those categories, is a bit ignorant and short-sighted.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That link shows a kanji that is not Japanese. There are lines missing on the second character.

勇気

There are always consequences.
You are correct it is not Japanese Kanji tho since the "drawing" of each is similar (especially in regards to the western alphabet) I believed the point would still be valid.

Said point being that if somone is going to mark you with such a symbol and they dont speak/read/write that language be wary.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
angelmod (Offline)
New to JF

02-13-2011, 02:16 PM

i have a tatoo in my face another firefly in my back and a tatoo written of my favorite video game*Resident Evil*

you should make a tatoo of a *Koi* on your neck^^
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Taylor22 (Offline)
New to JF

02-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I strongly disagree. Yes, tattoos are looked down on in Japan. But what you've said above is only your own opinion and while some people will agree with you, it's only because not all people like the idea of tattoos. I am not insecure or any of what you said and I have a tattoo on my wrist that symbolizes my childhood and future. Just because you have a tattoo doesn't mean you should one day "wise-up" because it's not a reason you'd need to. My tattoo means something to me, even though I got it quite some time ago, and it always will. There's people who think what you have said about piercings (even just the ears like many girls get) but if someone said it to you would you agree?

I don't think we should push our own views onto someone else to make them feel bad. If OP wants a tattoo, that does not make them a bad person and I say go for it! I do however advise to only get one once you have thought of one that actually means something to you so you won't regret it. Don't get a tattoo for the sake of having a tattoo. Now THAT is stupid.