JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#131 (permalink))
Old
CyberPunkKitty (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to CyberPunkKitty Send a message via MSN to CyberPunkKitty
06-17-2009, 08:13 PM

it's true that the more extrem versions of gyaru (gal fashion) such as ganguro, manba and yamamba are being practiced less and less, the lighter versions, as there called, are still very popular. The ones you see the most now are onee-gyaru or b-gals and such, who don't wear as much heavy make up, but still tan and darken their skin and such

~Come on, live a little, breath a little, feel a little more..~
(#132 (permalink))
Old
Sukai (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Sukai
06-17-2009, 08:26 PM

It is a fashion i would never consider to wear myself. However I may not like how they dress but that doesn't mean i don't like them as people. ox

Haruhi: "Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a mental illness."

Sukai
(#133 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Dose this have any ties to old customs or was it a new thing when it was posted?
(#134 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

06-18-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
Even In Shibuya there's hardly any.
Not that I'm really complaining though,
It's much nicer to see girls showing their beauty instead of trying to ruin it.
Oh I see...but its still a pretty cool fashion
(#135 (permalink))
Old
DevilHunter04 (Offline)
JF Regular

06-18-2009, 02:27 AM

I'm not a personal fan of Ganguro, but I'm not one to say bad things about any fashion, since I myself am a big decora/harajuku/lolita follower. I don't think Japanese girls look all that pretty in Ganguro, but if they like it, I'm fine with it. I googled the Ganjiro, that one's nice and quite pretty.
(#136 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-19-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Eh, I don't know how to feel. I don't want to judge a group of people for their style when I don't know enough about it, but I'm curious about it. I wish I knew where it came from.
*Points to my old post about page or two back*

I think that those who did participate in Ganguro look were emulating white American girls who get darker skin tones through tanning. If I am wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.
(#137 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-19-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
*Points to my old post about page or two back*

I think that those who did participate in Ganguro look were emulating white American girls who get darker skin tones through tanning. If I am wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.
That sounds possible especially if they wore those stupid ugg boots too.
(#138 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Ganguro seems kind of weird to me, but I wouldn't knock them for it. It's probably no different than someone of another country dressing in an Asian country's style or emulating a Hispanic country, etc. As for the clothes...too much going on for me. The clothes are too busy. lol

The only thing about Ganguro or Manba (think that's what it is when you really darken the skin) is the origin. If I recall correctly, they were going on about how they were emulating the girls in LA with tans. To me, they're just trying to be black in skin tone. Why is it so bad to say or admit that?
Thanks for pointing it out. =)

It's bad to admit because, if it's what you're suggesting, it's blackface. Literally.

I still don't know enough about the culture of ganguro, though. Maybe one of these days I'll look into it more.

LOVE: pass it on
(#139 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-19-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
Dose this have any ties to old customs or was it a new thing when it was posted?
I would say this is a fad is tied to two things: 1) sunworshipping, and the idea that if these girls have nothing better to do than to go to the beach and sunbathe. That in-your-face laziness is a bit of a slap in the face to Japanese society.

And 2) the bleached hair and dark skin is the opposite of traditional Japanese fashion, again a slap in the face to Japanese tradition.
(#140 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-19-2009, 08:26 AM

At the moment Ganguro is a little dated, it moves in and out of fashion all the time. Gyaru ( a more modest form of Ganguro ) tends to stay in fashion more, and it is basically tanned girls with shorter skirts, without all the heavy makeup and the hair doesn't have to be dyed.