in my city we have hum ..i think between 40 and 65 people every saturday
(#22 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-31-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkudesu View Post
Any Harajuku fans here? I wanna go there soooooooooo bad! Has anyone been there? What's it like?
Certainly an interesting part of town!

Take a look at the busy map.
Harajuku - Google Maps

Cheers - Oz
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

01-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucker View Post
i know ...on the pictures it looks amazing.. .but in reality ?
Yes if you go there on a weekend. You won't see much there on weekdays when the kids have school.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

01-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Even then. Sundays in Tokyo are dead now. You want loads of cosplayers? Kyoto International Manga Museum on cosplay days. Make sure to check the schedule or contact them. When you go on the proper cosplay day, usually two Sundays out of the month (depends on the months which Sundays) the entire museum and grounds will be full of them.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#25 (permalink))
Old
umeshuuu (Offline)
JF Regular

02-11-2010, 02:08 AM

Aaahhhh I love Harajuku! I went there a lot when I was in Japan last year, it's an awesome place. I'll know quite a lot about it now so I'll post what I think might be interesting! Sorry if this is info some of you guys know already though haha ^^

I like to think of Harajuku as having 3 main areas

Takeshita street
The famous crowded pedestrian only street which is absolutely chock-a-block with people most of the time especially on Saturday and Sunday. You can find pretty much all kinds of youth alternative fashion and mainstream fashion here and there are girls and guys dressed in all sorts walking up and down. People watching here is so much fun! There's loads of shops with super cute kawaii decora-style stuff, lots of punk and goth fashions, lolita-style stuff, some sexy gyaru fashion, lots of accessories, shoes, lingerie shops as well. Even a couple of clothes shops for dogs! XD And of course lots of fast food places and many crepe stalls where you can get those famous Harajuku crepes stuffed with cream, cheesecake, and whatever you want! ^^ They also have idol goods shops on this street (think Johnny's photos, concert goods and posters etc) and many places to take purikura! And a very big 100yen store where you can get practically ANYTHING (some lipstick, a plant pot, a set of chopsticks, some socks...) for 100yen as the name implies. Awesome x)

Ura-Harajuku (Harajuku back streets) where you find lots of cool, alternative guys' fashion much of which is music orientated, also girls fashion here too, and lots of hair salons etc. This area is pretty quiet compared to the others.

The main streets and crossroads leading to Shibuya and Omote-sando
Has loads of massive department stores (LaForet is one of them, the big store with a lot of alternative fashion (Lolita, Punk etc) on the bottom 2 floors) and lots of foreign brand shops (H&M, Topshop, Forever21...) as well as designer brands etc.

Meiji Shrine and Yoyogi Park area
This is the area with the famous Cosplay/street fashion bridge ^_^ As zucker asked about, and Tsuwabuki mentioned, there's not always a lot of cosplayers nowadays though... it is a little bit of a myth (as in there's not usually so many that people imagine there is). But if you're lucky maybe you'll see quite a few! Best bet is to go on Sunday from about 11am I think. If you are lucky and you go on a day when there are many cosplayers or fashionable people there it's definitely fun and they'll be totally cute ^_^
This area is close to Yoyogi park where people do street performances, and a concert hall which is always flooded with Johnny's fans whenever there's a concert on there ^_^

Oh, and also, yes the prices in Harajuku are generally cheap, at least in the smaller shops! There are often sales or reduced items in shops where you might be able to pick up something for just 1000 yen. And a lot of shops have a general price range of 1000-4000 yen, which is very cheap considering how cute the fashion is. Quality is generally not too bad either. Of course some shops are expensive though especially the more unusual clothing like the Takenoko store or some Lolita or punk shops.

Harajuku for me is basically a place where you can dress how you like and you won't get judged at all. The close minded or traditional people in Japan I'm guessing don't usually don't go there haha. I mean you don't often see a lot of people over the age of 30 (or, looking or acting like they are older) walking around the streets there. It's a place full of youth spirit reflected in the awesome things you can see, do and buy there. Anyone who goes to Tokyo should definitely not miss going!!

EDIT: Some pics if anyone's interested!

My friend is in the pic, at the time I didn't imagine putting them up on forums lol.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
I'm Lisa! Nice to meetcha

Last edited by umeshuuu : 02-11-2010 at 02:23 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Cakes (Offline)
Has cookies?~

02-28-2010, 07:24 PM

I've never been to Japan, but I want to go so much! I'd love to be able to find the indie brands that are impossible to get over here; some Atelier Pierrot stuff, for example. Or even just find a Baby, IW or Mary Magdalene! Internet shops are great, but being in an actual Lolita shop would be amazing for me.

Though I suppose that hotel fees, plane tickets and the like would be... well, rather more than shipping fees and custom duty, aha. Oh, well, it's always been my dream to tour Japan; see the fashions in Tokyo, visit the beautiful old shrines and temples, find geiko in Kyoto... ah me, now I'm getting dreamy.

Disclaimer: all opinions, expressions, exclamations and cake presented in the above are the personal thoughts of the writer only, and are as such not intended to represent any large group or other party.

Things get really silly when people start to put disclaimers in their signatures.