JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2008, 08:30 AM

Food from temples is vegetarian. Many temples serve food for visitors, if you pay.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenteajunkie View Post
that's true, if you buy premade, or at restaurants. but's it's really easy to make at home, with just miso paste and optional spices...
Read the label carefully. Much of the miso paste already includes the dashi, even when labeled organic.

Or course you could have onigiri with vegetable stuffings, natto, edamame, vegetable tempura, and of course rice. It could be boring and you will have to pay close attention to what your choices, but you shouldn't starve or even be malnourished.

Just don't make the other mistake a friend of mine did by not only assuming miso was vegetarian, but also kimchi. You may not see the fish, but its in there. Eventually she gave up and modified her vegetarian diet to include sustainable fish.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
greenteajunkie (Offline)
JF Regular

06-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Read the label carefully. Much of the miso paste already includes the dashi, even when labeled organic.

Or course you could have onigiri with vegetable stuffings, natto, edamame, vegetable tempura, and of course rice. It could be boring and you will have to pay close attention to what your choices, but you shouldn't starve or even be malnourished.

Just don't make the other mistake a friend of mine did by not only assuming miso was vegetarian, but also kimchi. You may not see the fish, but its in there. Eventually she gave up and modified her vegetarian diet to include sustainable fish.
Ah! I soooooo love edamame, i'm practicly an addict!

Perhaps stars fall, just as the rain

Until they burn on a windowpane

The grief of loss no written place

It is simply painted, on my face.