JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
Fugu - 04-11-2008, 01:39 AM

For anyone who doesn't know Fugu is Blowfish. The reason I made this thread is I want to try Fugu, I know it's a delicacy in Japan, but I also know it's poisonsis and can kill you. So to anyone who has had Fugu is it really all that dangerous? And what does it taste like, normal fish? Or something completely different?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-11-2008, 02:08 AM

Er, I wouldnt try it. I love my life :x

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-11-2008, 02:54 AM

Yes fugu is poisonous, but no, it is not dangerous. The meat itself isn't poisonous, only a sac of poison inside the fish that the chef removes. A handful of people die each year after eating fugu, but it isn't usually the chef's fault. Most of the time patrons wish to add a little poison to their soy sauce as it numbs the tongue in pleasant way. Too much poison and...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
04-11-2008, 02:56 AM

;_; I'd rather smoke pcp laced with salvia before trying GuFu, But to each his own..

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-11-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animelover32 View Post
For anyone who doesn't know Fugu is Blowfish. The reason I made this thread is I want to try Fugu, I know it's a delicacy in Japan, but I also know it's poisonsis and can kill you. So to anyone who has had Fugu is it really all that dangerous? And what does it taste like, normal fish? Or something completely different?
Fugu is my favorite fish!! It just has the most delicate flavor meat of all sea water fishes.

Fugu is lethal ONLY IF it's prepared by an amateur who doesn't know which parts (organs) are dangerous. This is why you are not legally permitted to prepare fugu without the license from the government.

So as long as you eat it at a restaurant, no problem. If you like eating fish in general, you will love fugu. Many of the restaurants that serve fugu only serve fugu, which is a good sign of their expertise.

I don't know what kinds of fish you're used to eating, but I think you will find fugu to be very tender, moist and creamy. Many fugu places only serve a course meal that will look like:

1. fugu-sashi (thin slices of raw meat). This is THE most difficult part for the fugu chef. It comes in such thin slices that each slice is half-transparent. You will be able to see the drawing on the plate through the slices. This is why the fugu restaurant must collect expensive plates to serve the fugu-sashi.

2. karaage (deep-fried fugu). This will provide such a huge contrast with fugu-sashi. Non-cooked vs. Completely cooked. Deep-frying adds a sweetness to the meat. It's finger-lickin' good.

3. fugu-nabe. Nabe means a pot. They will cook fugu and some vegetables in a big clay pot right on your table. This is the course where you will see the largest chunks of meat. A winter favorite.

4. zousui (rice porridge). When you're done with your fugu-nabe, there's excellent stock left in the pot. So they take out the little bits of bones and veggies from the pot, season the stock, and put rice in it to cook a few minutes. Voila! Zousui has no fugu meat in it, but many fugu-lovers agree that this IS the entree.

I highly recommend a fugu dinner during your stay here.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
04-12-2008, 12:27 AM

Oh man it sounds so good. I'll probaly have to wait to try it until I go to Japan since I doubt any of the Japanese resturants around me, serve it. I'm not saying they're bad but America probaly outlaws Fugu here.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-12-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animelover32 View Post
Oh man it sounds so good. I'll probaly have to wait to try it until I go to Japan since I doubt any of the Japanese resturants around me, serve it. I'm not saying they're bad but America probaly outlaws Fugu here.
I don't think I have ever seen it in the US. Maybe in New York or LA they have it...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-12-2008, 01:04 AM

Fugu can be found in the US, but it's not exactly common. You're average Japanese restaurant wouldn't have it. From what I've heard, there are a few places in New York City, a couple in LA, and a few in San Francisco that serve Fugu.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-20-2008, 04:29 AM

i ain't eating that

crunchyroll.com
(#10 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
04-20-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShintoCanadianmale View Post
i ain't eating that
~~~lozer x]

(jk)

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.