JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Best/worst Japanese food? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/16312-best-worst-japanese-food.html)

taro 11-03-2008 02:37 AM

Well, I like nato very much besides jal soba and tempura.

Parallax28 11-03-2008 07:52 PM

Anything that's ramen, soba, or udon

Used to digg that sushi stuff, but now its not doing it for me:rolleyes:

clairebear 11-03-2008 07:54 PM

I've never seen any Japanese food outside of pictures, so idk. n_n

kenmei 11-03-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 620735)

really? :confused:

you're missing out

Uriko 11-03-2008 07:56 PM

i heart natto.

Salvanas 11-03-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clairebear (Post 620735)

Bout time you come down to London and let me and Bureda treat you to some Japanese food then.

I love Sushi, and Ramen.

Nato needs an acquired taste.

LucyL 11-11-2008 11:07 PM

I really dislike sushi XP just can't stomach the stuff.

Love ramen and udon. I need to try more...

Levi 12-17-2008 01:34 AM

Sorry to revive an old topic, but what the hell? I'll do it anyway.

My favorite Japanese food is shabu-shabu and almost any form of kobe beef for that matter.
Like many other posters, I really do not like natto. I guess you have to grow up eating it which I have not. But, I have a good excuse, I'm an Osaka boy. :D

stephyrampage 01-01-2009 01:23 PM

favorite.. yakitori :)
i know it's only a appitizer but i buy like 3 servings of it and eat it as a main course.

least favorite.. natto... blech.

BakaCrisis 01-01-2009 01:36 PM

I love sushi ^_^

Arikado 01-01-2009 01:52 PM

Tempura is great, especially with udon. Authentic ramen wins too, of course.

I haven't tried natto yet, but I keep hearing it's gross... The idea of fermented beans doesn't exactly entice me anyway. Hahahah, who knows, I may give it a shot sometime.

Kinsora 01-06-2009 02:36 PM

My favorite... Katsudon, Umeboshi, Dango and Tamagoyaki are all up there together, though i usually have curry with my tonkatsu because it tastes really gooood. :)

My least favorite would have to be Oden. With all that crap in there, there's no telling what someone else put in that. Plus, the broth and stock is usually disgusting with the noodles and the softboiled egg (which i always end up getting. XP)

kyo_9 01-06-2009 03:53 PM

I've just eated rice cake or o-mochi last weekend and the taste is wonderful..

BucktheWolf 04-14-2009 08:04 AM

set me up with a good donburi-mono, and I'm done! :D

niku-don... oyaku-don... those are the best kind.

There is something to be said for Sweet potato Tempura, too :P

Mmmm... it almost makes me hungry :3

What I hate, though... is sushi.
Nag all you want. It's still raw fish and rice.

Pexster 04-14-2009 09:15 AM

SUSHI! you guys are really missing it. It depends where you get it and how they make it.

I know people can't change other peoples minds, unless themselfs change it. OR FORCED hahaha jk actually im not jk-ing. haha

But luckly when I first ate it, it was delicious.

But I hate wasabi. I don't like it. -_-

BucktheWolf 04-14-2009 09:17 AM

Well, Pex, I've never been fond of fish, in general x3

Wasabi, on the other hand... I don't want to think of spicy foods like that right now x3

Pexster 04-14-2009 09:20 AM

Oh, haha you should have said somthing in the first place. ^-^

Me either. Wasabi is gross, my mum eats it and I can't stand the smell or taste. X_X

kMal 04-14-2009 10:15 AM

Sushi is not always rice and raw fish. There are all sorts of sushi. I love nigiri kobachi, maki kobachi, udon with a little bit of beef and monjayaki. There aren't many Japanese foods that I don't like!

Oh and miso-soup!

kawaionigiri 04-14-2009 10:34 AM

it's look like many people hate natto very much

but I really want to try it

I'm from indonesia so it's hard to find japanese food

but I already try some (such as : sushi, onigiri, takoyaki, okonomiyaki, and sukiyaki)

but the worst for me is some thing that 100% un-cooked (besides salmon)

the best is Nori!

we in indonesia really like Nori (well that's for me and my classmate)

especially Tae Ke Noi (the one from Indonesia should know this!)

~sorry for any misspeling :vsign: ) ~
:ywave:

alexlovesrock 04-14-2009 01:47 PM

least favorite is poisinous pufferfish

most favorite is MOCHIIIII

ColorblindGirl 04-16-2009 06:37 PM

I LOVE Omuraisu ^_^
And I don´t like fish so much, so I don´t like sushi...

joeyj 04-16-2009 07:01 PM

Favorite is Ramen

and...

Least favorite is natto beans due to the smell

tokioprincess1 04-27-2011 07:29 PM

i don´t like fish so much...so i guess it´s kind of band for me and jaoanese kitchen...:) ...but...for me the worst taste food was natto...

myk 04-27-2011 08:15 PM

Sushi is usually really good (unless it's super cheap or from a buffet or something).
And, like everyone else, I can't stand natto.

Atredies 05-03-2011 01:49 PM

best food for me is sashimi
worst food for me is japanese curry. not spicy enough compare to indonesian or indian ones.

jurgistamulis 09-16-2011 09:14 PM

@Vintin Dude, squids are really good! Trust me. Not sure what kind of squid I ate that time but it was quite delicious. :)

My favourite dish is miso soup.
Don't know about the worst but the first time I ate sushi I was like: what is this funny looking green pasta? I remember that I was in tears when I took too much of it. ;D

Nebelherz 10-01-2011 09:30 AM

I like sushi, nattou, sashimi, japanese sweets and lot more. Only thing I yet tried and didn`t like was konnyaku... I don`t know, but the konnyaku I had, tasted weird.. ( I had had some konnyaku noodles)
I think nattou doesn`t smell or taste bad. (I mean some cheese does smell much worse than nattou... O_O)

baraku85 10-27-2011 09:13 PM

I like curry rice.

crestedibis 01-18-2012 07:56 AM

I find that I am getting fussier about food as I get older.

I like natto and shiokara. The former has a nutty flavor and you feel like you are eating something nutritious. Natto on rice is my favorite breakfast. Shiokara is not meant to be eaten in large quantities. In moderation, it is a great accompaniment to a dry sake. A small dab will also help the rice go down.

On the other hand, I do not generally like other salty foods. I can't really see the point of tsukudani.

What I REALLY hate, though, is ham. It shows up even in breakfasts. Pink, cold, salty, sliced ham. Ham and bacon pollute otherwise vegetarian dishes like stir fry and pasta dishes. It is as if the Japanese feel that including ham or bacon makes a dish somehow more luxurious. Hate the pink, hate the salt.

I also dislike most fried foods. How do the Japanese stay slim and healthy while eating so much karaage and kurokke? I easpecially hate their cold versions seved with cold rice in a bento. Cold, greasy, flavorless, colorless--yuck.

Then there are the non-foods. Tokyo style raamen, served with a single slice of pork, some nori, menma, and maybe half a boiled egg, has almost no nutrition. Instead, it is full of sodium and fat--the soup is surprisingly high in calories. So is curry roux. Both raamen soup and curry roux often contain lard. Yum.

Convenience store food is getting more and more varied, but tends to be very salty and full of additives. The sandwiches sicken me, literally. Spongy white bread filled with more than one filling. Hey, everybody likes ham, egg salad, vegetable, cheese, and potato salad. So, why not put them all in one sandwich? These sandwiches look like train wrecks and make me bilious.

White rice. I avoid meaningless starches whenever possible. I would rather spend my daily caloric allowance on something that is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, and/or fiber. Again, how do the Japanese stay healthy filling up their stomachs with white rice?

Maxful 01-22-2012 04:59 AM

No raw food for me, it makes my stomach turn.

harekilic 09-10-2014 08:26 AM

I love any type of sushi but i dont think its healty

doodoofan 09-23-2014 07:17 AM

I love sashimi, I used to eat it a lot when I first came to Japan. I hate natto, I think it's the nastiest thing I ever tasted. My Japanese friends told me that in Japan, people started eating natto when they were young so they got used to it very fast. Children are not picky about food so I guess that's the reason why so many Japanese people can eat natto.

LolaMeca 12-29-2014 02:31 AM

Blergh Natto >.<

I think natto is the worst food in Japan haha but the one I love is kare (curry) <3

Marksly 12-29-2014 09:27 AM

Sushi forever

I love sushi! And curry

RadioKid 03-03-2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LolaMeca (Post 1361151)
I think natto is the worst food in Japan haha but the one I love is kare (curry) <3

Let me plead for NATTO.

In western sense, foods has four kind of tastes: sweet, salty, sour and bitter.

In Japan, our ancesters added one more taste called "UMAMI:(tasty)" in Japanese.

UMAMI was identified in early 1900s as glutamic acid (1908) or inosinic acid (1913) and chemically synthesized as some products.

If you feel something new in MISO-soup, it is the UMAMI.

As NATTO has much UMAMI in itself, many people love it and other people hate it because of the smell.
Even native Japanese, peope in western Japan often hates NATTO.

To overcome the smell, add green onion in it as shown in this video. Here NATTO lover and NATTO hesitater try NATTO (at 7:30) in their manner.

In this video, they stir NATTO after putting other ingredients. But I recommend to stir first at least 20 times before adding soy sauce. Recommended: 50 times or more before and after adding soy sauce and/or seasonings.

Here is another brave guy who tried NATTO for the first time.

He also stir NATTO after adding soy sauce. I think he is wrong. and He added soy sauce too much. I think 1/4 amount of his soy sauce is enough.

He bought four packs of NATTO at once and tried them all serially. After having fourth pack, he found the NATTO is great.

To overcome the smell and to be used to NATTO taste, it is good idea to put NATTO into Curry, MISO-saup or other foods with strong tatste.

BTW:He had the NATTO before breakfast. Does he know what "朝飯前(ASA-MESHI-MAE):before breakfast" means in Japanese? It means "easy work which can be done before breakfast".

ilovejapan4 12-15-2015 01:46 PM

I love Ramen!
https://tazuu.com/en/forums/41?lid=jf_BWJF_151215

Adele3 05-10-2018 02:42 PM

For me, the best sushi.

Michiru23 05-23-2018 12:05 AM

I love any type of sushi (my favorite...)
My least favorite has to be natto too...