JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Best/worst Japanese food? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/16312-best-worst-japanese-food.html)

hennaz 06-12-2008 06:34 PM

Best/worst Japanese food?

Hey everybody, out of curiosity, what is your favourite and least favourite Japanese food?
My favourite has to be sushi (though I also like tempura, yakisoba, onigiri and mochi). My least favourite has to be natto, which is probably the only Japanese food I do not like.
How about you?

TalnSG 06-12-2008 06:59 PM

HA! My favorite is either natto or umeboshi. :p

I guess the worst for me is either uni or marinated squid stomach.

EveV 06-12-2008 07:02 PM

I really don't like any Japanese food besides their sweets.

LittleFallenAngel 06-12-2008 07:07 PM

I like onigiri alot...

And I dont really like Tekkamaki....O_O;;

puppyface 06-12-2008 07:16 PM

I love any type of sushi (my favorite...)
My least favorite has to be natto too...

Tsuruko 06-13-2008 07:55 AM

Natto is horrible. . . Do not even remind me. . . .

ewh. . .

I like most Japanese food. Though my favorite is really more of a drink and that is Matcha green tea, that stuff is wonderful. . . Though I do have this really great recipe for making Matcha Green tea ice cream, which is. . . so. . .freaking. . .delicious. . . .

merveTurkey 06-13-2008 10:25 AM

I like most Japanese food.
but
all the best sushi...:)

Henbaka 06-13-2008 11:40 AM

Favourite: Sashimi....onigiri...ramen...YOSHINOYA! ;)

Yuck: Natto. And also the little fish frys that you could buy in the supermarket in a box (looked like small sprouts, almost made the mistake of buying!).

asakuraT 06-13-2008 01:04 PM

That's my favorite,then:) tsukudani its called.
I think I am too picky to love sashimi and maki. Chirashi trust better,though.
And...hey, natto is really good when you live in Japan long enough to start missing something for improving digestion.What i hate is Japanese dairy food- they really have no idea of it.
All the traditional food is well balanced and tastes good to me.

yuujirou 06-13-2008 09:17 PM

hmm~~
favourite would prolly beh either madai or natto x]

least fav~~.......
actually i love all japanese cuisine xDD
but there's this....oden thing that my boss makes for the employee meal...and it makes me nauseous everytime i eat it x.x'''
and....also...mentaiko ....doesn't appeal too me for some reason xD
i dun like it's taste much too well x.x''''
okashii nee?

xYinniex 06-13-2008 11:15 PM

Favourite: TAKOYAKI, UDON, MISO SOUP
Least favourite: UMEBOSHI PASTE/SAUCE ON ITS OWN. it's rank.

VisualLace 06-14-2008 02:38 AM

Hmmm, I think everything I've tried so far has been pretty good... but miso soup is probably my favorite :D .

Least favorite... maybe octopus sushi; it's not bad, really, but the texture's a bit chewy for me.

IonFortuna 06-14-2008 04:20 AM

I love Wasabi...

...wait, that isn't really food...

Nathan 06-14-2008 05:04 PM

I'm rather skeptical about people who say natto is their favorite. Its an acquired taste to be sure, cheap and healthy, but there are far better flavors in Japanese cuisine than natto. I used to have it for breakfast, its not bad, but not the best.

My personal favorite would be a tie between takoyaki and a good miso soup.

My least would have to be いくら(ikura, fish egg) sushi. I could never get past the texture of it.

Okashi 06-14-2008 05:47 PM

When I went to Japan over spring break I had a lot of different kinds of foods.

So far my favorite was Tempura.

The one that was my least favorite would have to be Curry Rice.

I'm not saying it was horrible tasting. It was good, it was just the least favorite of them all. Pretty much everything tasked awesome!

TalnSG 06-14-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 514373)
I'm rather skeptical about people who say natto is their favorite. Its an acquired taste to be sure, cheap and healthy, but there are far better flavors in Japanese cuisine than natto.

That's your palette, not mine. I list it as my favorite because its the one Japanese food that I actually get cravings for...... just like for kimchi, though that is less often. Its also the only dish I will drive 20 miles across town to get from an Asian grocery store when I don't need anything else.

Quote:

My least would have to be いくら(ikura, fish egg) sushi. I could never get past the texture of it.
oooh, I forgot about that. It right up there with uni for me, but more because of the unappealing texture and the lack of taste, unlike uni's very distinct (and for me objectionable) taste.

xYinniex 06-14-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 514373)
I'm rather skeptical about people who say natto is their favorite. Its an acquired taste to be sure, cheap and healthy, but there are far better flavors in Japanese cuisine than natto. I used to have it for breakfast, its not bad, but not the best.

My personal favorite would be a tie between takoyaki and a good miso soup.

I quite like Ikura actually *hides*

allie2590 06-14-2008 11:36 PM

I like sushi and tempura the best and I hate pickled ginger!

yuujirou 06-15-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allie2590 (Post 514555)
I like sushi and tempura the best and I hate pickled ginger!

you must be eating the 'cheap' gaari x]

Quote:

Originally Posted by xYinniex (Post 514549)
I quite like Ikura actually *hides*

ikura ish fun too eat x]
but it leaves a fishy taste in my mouth >.<'

yuujirou 06-15-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalnSG (Post 514430)
That's your palette, not mine. I list it as my favorite because its the one Japanese food that I actually get cravings for...... just like for kimchi, though that is less often. Its also the only dish I will drive 20 miles across town to get from an Asian grocery store when I don't need anything else.

oooh, I forgot about that. It right up there with uni for me, but more because of the unappealing texture and the lack of taste, unlike uni's very distinct (and for me objectionable) taste.

ikura....lack of taste??? xDD
i often find that ikura is 'too' salty for me xDD

greenteajunkie 06-16-2008 05:22 AM

The few experiences i've had making and eating sushi have been unsavory, but it's an adapted taste. I am so obsessed with ramen, tofu, miso soup, curry, and udon noodle soup. Oh, and cold soba noodles... yummy... :marusmile:

CardKaptor 06-22-2008 09:06 AM

I love okonomiyaki. Deliciousness in pancake form. I can't stand ume maki, that was the worst thing...ever.

yuujirou 06-22-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardKaptor (Post 519499)
I love okonomiyaki. Deliciousness in pancake form. I can't stand ume maki, that was the worst thing...ever.

ever care to try the liver of hotategai (scallop)
and then compare? x]

TalnSG 06-22-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 514752)
ikura....lack of taste??? xDD
i often find that ikura is 'too' salty for me xDD

Ah, yes I have experienced the salty version, but not very often. I am thinking that perhaps the taste fades if the freezing for transport is not done carefully enough, and it could be that once the flavor is entirely gone there is only the salt left. Fortunately there has only been once when encountered soe that had gone bad.

Aota 06-22-2008 09:27 PM

Tofu, miso soup, octopus, and curry are definite faves.

SSJup81 06-22-2008 10:15 PM

The only thing remotely Japanese that I've tasted, and disliked, has been Ikura. Oh, another food I've had and disliked, has been Edomame. My teacher gave me this. It was way too salty for me. I acted as if I liked it, especially when she gave me some another time, so I just accepted it to be polite.

Even though I've never had it, I have this feeling that I wouldn't like Natto at all, but of course, as I say, "Don't knock something until you've tried it."

As for stuff I've tasted and loved, I'd have to go with okonomiyaki, yakitori, and sukiyaki. I :rheart: sukiyaki.

I would say Ramen, but I've never had any decent ramen, imo, and by decent, I mean able to go to a stand and order some nice and fresh. The stuff in the cup doesn't cut it for me. With the Japanese restaurants around here, it's mostly Udon or Soba based dishes.

reihiino 06-22-2008 11:26 PM

My fave is sashimi, curry, tempura...least is anything with eggs...

Jeshika 06-26-2008 03:22 PM

I love curry. It's by far my favorite food overall.

As for least favorite, I'm not entirely sure. There hasn't been anything I've run across yet that I absolutely dislike. I'm sure while I keep experimenting, I'll discover something. xD

sushidushi 06-27-2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IonFortuna (Post 514048)
I love Wasabi...

...wait, that isn't really food...

Yes it is! I love the stuff! :D

TalnSG 07-03-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushidushi (Post 523456)
Yes it is! I love the stuff! :D

Yum, fresh wasabi! I really love it, but I try to cut back on it when my sushi is good enough on its own.

But I recently was urged to eat more of it by a certain itamae. ;)
Itamae-san, if you are reading this, you were right because it was very good.

umeshuuu 07-10-2008 07:56 AM

Sashimi is amazing (and also very good for you)
But sashimi is expensive usually :( I eat sushi often, it's delicious! I also like ramen, karaage, basically anything!

Japanese foods I don't like are very few, but I won't eat natto, raw egg on anything (I'll eat semi-cooked egg, but not completely raw) and anything particularly slimy (I just can't bring myself to eat something slimy/gooey. Yuck.)

paul999 07-10-2008 09:01 AM

Best is Sushi, Sashimi & of course, you cant leave out Miso soup lol, Wost is Natto... EWWWW!

Wasabista 07-10-2008 10:17 AM

I love good old bento dishes. You know, the box lunch you buy at the corner shop -- freshly made, not that crap at 7-11 or Sunkus.

Nori bento -- fried aji on a bed of rice covered in nori and katsuobushi -- finest kind!

I'm also a big matcha fan, it's the most deliciousest tea in the world, except maybe for jasmine tea.

jiruri 07-10-2008 11:00 AM

i really like sushi!,
sushi ni taiskida se? i wonder if thats the way you say it in japan.....

and i'd like to try ramen sometime...

i hate that green stuff they serve with sushi...(i forgot the name)

all the best:vsign:

okiron 07-14-2008 02:47 PM

Best - Okonomiyaki with udon (Hiroshima style)
Worst - Natto

okiron 07-14-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiruri (Post 532633)

Thinking of wasabi?

allie2590 07-14-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiruri (Post 532633)
i really like sushi!,
sushi ni taiskida se? i wonder if thats the way you say it in japan.....

and i'd like to try ramen sometime...

all the best:vsign:

I like wasabi. It's the pickled ginger that I don't like.

MegumiDeshita 07-14-2008 07:11 PM

Hmm, that's a toughie. I'm a little picky, so there are a few things that I just won't eat. I can't really deal with anything with eel in it and I'm not a huge fan of tonkotsu ramen because I don't like pork; I won't eat raw egg or natto due to the consistency. >.> Outside of those things, though, I'm pretty much game.

babyshell123 07-20-2008 03:10 PM

Best: Ramen, Mochi, Curry Bread, Udon, Chanpurū, Tofu
Worst: Natto, Stinky Tofu (Just the smell that puts me off..) & Pufferfish..

Nickles 07-20-2008 03:39 PM

I love Melonpan! Its amazing rolls or bread loafs with baked pieces of melon in them.. omgod. So delicious. I also really love okonomiyaki, takoyaki, tempura and arare :) Those little crackers are so yummy.

Things I dislike, umeboshi.... bleh. I could live without it. Also, I'm not sure the name but it is akin to a crepe, only with nori instead. I don't really like eating sushi like that. But you know, to each their own.