JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kwkyori (Offline)
JF Regular

burdock root? - 07-28-2008, 12:31 AM

okay so i recently watched loveless and in one of the episodes, they mention a root called the "burdock" root. soubi uses it in pasta. is it good? or has anyone even heard of it?

sotto himitsu no kiss shite
mou ai ga ippai
[softly kiss secretly, my love is completely full]
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-28-2008, 01:37 AM

The burdock root (gobou) tastes great in ton-jiru (miso soup with thin-sliced pork and lots of veggies). It's good for your health as it's got so much fiber in it. I've heard it was available in your country as well.

Here's a good video showing you how to make ton-jiru in English:

(#3 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-31-2008, 08:38 PM

kwkyori,
You may have a little difficulty finding burdock in the local grocery store. If you don't have an Asian store with a good produce section, look for a good health food store. They all carry it in encapsulated powdered form, but try asking them to get the root itself. They may have a good source.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sushidushi (Offline)
JF Regular

08-08-2008, 01:57 AM

I found burdock root in my local Asian (mostly Chinese) supermaket for the first time last week. It doesn't really look especially edible to my English mind, but it is absolutely delicious.

I used it in a recipe called kinpira gobo, in which the burdock root is cut into thin matchsticks, with similarly cut carrot, and fried for a few minutes. I then added a mixture of sake, sugar and soy sauce and cooked it for a few minutes longer. I then took it off the heat and added some crushed roasted white sesame seeds. I think it's usually eaten hot, but I like it cold or at room temperature, too. I might have got the recipe a bit wrong, but it tastes rather good. I must get some more burdock tomorrow and make it again...

Incidentally, I had only ever heard of burdock before in a drink called dandelion and burdock - perhaps the English equivalent of the American root beer. I suspect that the drink has generally never even been near any dandelion or burdock these days. But it's still tasty.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

08-08-2008, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushidushi View Post

I used it in a recipe called kinpira gobo, in which the burdock root is cut into thin matchsticks, with similarly cut carrot, and fried for a few minutes. I then added a mixture of sake, sugar and soy sauce and cooked it for a few minutes longer. I then took it off the heat and added some crushed roasted white sesame seeds. I think it's usually eaten hot, but I like it cold or at room temperature, too. I might have got the recipe a bit wrong, but it tastes rather good. I must get some more burdock tomorrow and make it again...
Kimpira gobou is more often eaten cold in Japan. It doesn't taste nearly as good when it's hot. This is why it's a common item for the bento.

You have an okay recipe. Most Japanese would use mirin instead of sugar, though.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
sushidushi (Offline)
JF Regular

08-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Kimpira gobou is more often eaten cold in Japan. It doesn't taste nearly as good when it's hot. This is why it's a common item for the bento.

You have an okay recipe. Most Japanese would use mirin instead of sugar, though.
Thanks, Nagoyankee. Mirin it will be today, then! And I'll take some with me to work tomorrow in my "Bento" box.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

08-08-2008, 05:43 PM

Is that the stuff that's in the Dandelion and Burdock drink? They sell that drink all over here.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

08-08-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Is that the stuff that's in the Dandelion and Burdock drink? They sell that drink all over here.
It's even on Neopets. :P
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sushidushi (Offline)
JF Regular

08-09-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I think it's a very English drink. But I don't think they use dandelions or burdock these days. Rather like English lemonade often contains no lemons.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kokekoko (Offline)
New to JF

08-10-2008, 01:47 AM

I absolutely love 牛蒡 (gobou)!

Gobou tempura is especially good, and goes really really well with udon.

You can also find gobou chips in certain places and some supermarkets. One good location is in Yufuin, a small touristy onsen spot in Kyushu.