JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
Sushi Gallery - 08-09-2008, 05:47 AM

I've been thinking and... well I've decided to create a gallery of Sushi. Most people think that they've had great sushi, that they've tried the best of the best. Well, this is to either prove you wrong or reinforce your belief. In this thread I opt to portray sushi and the various components of sushi at their best. So far I've only managed/come across a few items that I believed were fresh enough to have pictures taken of, but I'm looking everyday to expand my little repertoire of sushi photography x]
Also, with every photograph, I will attempt to describe as best I can the portrayed ingredient/item. If anyone disagrees with any of my descriptions, feel free too offer your own opinion and I'll subject it into consideration ^^'

*Also, since the photos are going to be uploaded as they are taken, there will probably be no certain order that they are listed.*

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.

Last edited by yuujirou : 08-28-2009 at 12:29 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Uni - 08-09-2008, 05:51 AM

This particular batch of Uni (Sea Urchin Glands) is of pretty good quality. The colour is not lacking, looking a ripe gold, and the individual pieces are firm, defined and not melting.

Last edited by yuujirou : 08-28-2009 at 12:30 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-09-2008, 05:51 AM

yum!!!!!

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#4 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Ebi - 08-09-2008, 05:57 AM

This particular platter of Ebi (Shrimp) was just prepared (Speared with a bamboo skewer, boiled in salt water, butterflied from the bottom-up, de-veined, and rinsed in a salt-water solute) then plated and wrapped in plastic wrap. If you'll notice, the shrimp upfront has a darker orange tone to it, while the ones in back are more light. This is the proper way to display Ebi, as you show off the best pieces too the customers while using the not so good pieces first.

Last edited by yuujirou : 08-28-2009 at 12:31 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

08-09-2008, 06:05 AM

This batch of Tamago (Omelette) was just made by my Boss a few moments prior to the photo being taken. If you'll notice the Tamago is well formed and golden brown in some parts; as opposed to being deformed and burnt in some areas. In making sushi, the making of the Tamago (along with Anago (saltwater eel)) is considered one of the most difficult tasks. The reason being is that first off, the proportions of dashi, sugar, mirin, salt, etc, are rather difficult too get right, as they need to be precise so that the Tamago doesn't end up too fishy, or too sweet. Second, the Tamago is traditionally made in a rectangular skillet and with a pair of Ryouri Hashi (Cooking Chopsticks). If you'll imagine, forming a huge rectangular block of egg with a pair of chopsticks is no easy task, lol.
Anyway, Tamago is considered a finishing dish to a sushi meal because of it's sweetness.

Here is a photo of the Tamago made as sushi.

*A point that I want too bring up. In the above picture, please note the separate granuals of rice in the nigiri. If you will notice, the rice is compressed just enough to hold it's form until it reaches the mouth. Some Sushi-Ya tend to have their rice a bulking mush of over-saturated and compressed ball of gluten, solid enough to throw at your little sister, and stern enough to crack your teeth... a sure sign of a sushi-ya lacking in quality and experience*

Does this look appetising too you? Does it look professional grade? Is it an acceptable presentation? If you answered yes to any of those, then you are sadly mistaken.
This plate of sushi was personally prepared by me. And yes, it is terrible. It is actually quite embarrassing. First off, for the Shime-Saba (Marinated Mackerel), the Saba does not conform to the rice; it is simply resting on top of the rice, not a good sign as the nigiri probably fell apart and back into the customer's soy sauce as he was ready to consume it. Second, The topping on the Saba is also lacking. With such a small amount of Shouga (ginger) and Negi (Scallions) placed so awkwardly on top of the Saba, they are an abomination. Not only are they lacking aesthetically, such a small amount provides little practicality. The shouga and negi are too scarce to provide any compliment too the fishy taste of the Saba.
As for the Hotate-Gunkan (Chopped Scallops), some consumers find the taste and texture of negi with the creamy feeling of the Hotate with the mayonnaise a little too much, and sometimes awkward. This is basically an example of ignorance too consumer preference. Also, if you notice the soupy look in the scallops; I had mixed too much mayonnaise into the Hotate. With so much mayonnaise, the delicate taste of the scallops is overcome and it is now mayonnaise with a hint of scallop instead of the opposite.
About the Unagi (Freshwater eel), the rice is too large in proportion too the Unagi. Also, the Unagi is too small of a cut to begin with.
The placement is also quite off. Too start, the nigiri should be touching each other horizontally. Second, the position of the Gaari (pickled ginger) and Wasabi (horseradish) also look queer. As they are compliments, they should be seated next too each other, as opposed too being displayed on opposite ends of the plate.
And I suppose~ yes I'm being very critical of my own work, but these are the standards of which I always try to comply with inorder to maintain a satisfactory level of product quality.

Last edited by yuujirou : 08-28-2009 at 12:36 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Hoso-Maki - 08-09-2008, 06:22 AM

On this platter, rests two Hoso-Maki (Thin Rolls). The one on the left side is a Tekka-Maki (Tuna-Roll) and the other is a Negi-Hama (Scallions and Yellowtail-Roll). Both traditional items, the latter hardly ever being seen in typical Sushi-Ya.

It is said that an Itamae's (Sushi Chef's) skill can be judged by his Hoso-Maki. Reason being that all mistakes can not be covered up and become rather blatant. A few things too look for in Hoso-Maki include the filling, the surrounding rice, and the nori (seaweed).

Just a few things too ask yourself when evaluating a roll.

1. Is the filling consistent through out the entire roll? Or did the chef just throw a bunch of different sized chunks into my roll? Did he even fill the roll all the way through the ends? When fish is included, is the fish chewy? Did the chef make a point too use cuts of fish that don't have large amounts of tendon? If his supply is lacking, did he take the time too remove the tendons before using the fish?

2. Does the rice create a 'circle' around the filling? As in does it measure a relatively equal distance all the way around the filling, or is there one section where the filling actually touches the nori? Does the rice go all the way until the end of the nori? Are there two cuts of the roll that are only half-filled with rice? Or even, does the rice protrude pass the nori on two pieces of the roll? Is there rice anywhere on the outside portion of the nori?

3. Is the nori crunchy when you bite into it? Or is it just plain rubbery? Does the roll unroll as it sits there on your plate? Does it not fall apart in your mouth? Is the nori inside the roll? Does the nori look something like this --> @ ? With a strip of the nori penetrating into the rice?

4. Lastly, does it taste good? Do the ingredients compliment each other? Is one more overbearing than the other? Are the ingredients fresh? Is the Maguro (Tuna) a brilliant red, instead of pink/faded red/ or blood brown? Is your Hamachi (Yellowtail) a shimmery white or pale pink instead of a dull white and/or brown?

Of course, nothing can be expected too have an absolute consistency. Sometimes even the best will stray from such standards. This is meant too be a simple guideline too take into consideration when seriously evaluating your local Itamae. >.>

**Before this is brought up; Yes, I know mine aren't perfect either, but I'm working on it xD**

Last edited by yuujirou : 08-09-2008 at 06:36 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

08-09-2008, 06:40 AM

Yuuji, this topic is great. It's going to be helpful and great for non-sushi-eaters' tastes.

So cute. :3 Sushi is the harbringer of cute-ness and tasting salt water.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-13-2008, 01:00 PM

I've had Uni before, and liked it. I've also had Ebi before, and liked it. It took me forever to find a place that prepared it (the other place, which I didn't care for, never seemed to have the "ingredients"), but I adore tamago. I also didn't know that it's supposed to finish up the meal, but I guess it makes sense in that regard. I've had Tekka-Maki, but never Negi-Hama. Negi-Hama, though, sounds good since I like "negi" anyway. lol

Anywho, getting back on topic, for the maki-rolls, the place I go to, the rice does make a "circle around the filling". The Nori is usually rubbery when eating it. I always assumed that was the way it was supposed to be. The fish isn't 'chewy' either.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Kampachi - Amberjack - 08-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Here's something that's not really expected too be found at most local sushi-ya
Kampachi, or Amberjack, is said too taste and feel like a cross between Tai (Red Snapper) and Hamachi (Yellowtail)

(#10 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Hamachi - Yellowtail - 08-28-2008, 08:16 AM

Here are two cuts of Hamachi, or Yellowtail.
The top cut is from the top/back loin of the yellowtail is much more lean than the lower cut, of which is from the stomach. Rule of thumb is that more fat means more flavour; thus more desirable and sometimes more expensive.
However, the current stomach cut that is pictured still has the stomach lining and the rib bones still in, so the meat that is consumed is not really exposed in it. Just too note, the stomach meat is much shinier and more oily.

Hamachi has a rather sweet and (from the stomach) somewhat buttery taste too it. Some of my customers have described it's texture as a 'melt-in-your-mouth' sensation.