JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Miso sandwiches (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/20331-miso-sandwiches.html)

sushidushi 10-25-2008 09:36 PM

Miso sandwiches

I have recently begun taking miso sandwiches to work for lunch - just awase miso spead on to bread. Is this my own invention, or have others done similarly? Anglo-Japanese fusion food at its simplest. And very tasty indeed. :)

reihiino 10-25-2008 10:02 PM

my supervisor at my job has done it too. i give him props because he can down that thing in a minute...i personally have never tried it. although if i can find it here in the states, i'll mos def try!

Nagoyankee 10-26-2008 03:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sushidushi (Post 615661)
I have recently begun taking miso sandwiches to work for lunch - just awase miso spead on to bread. Is this my own invention, or have others done similarly? Anglo-Japanese fusion food at its simplest. And very tasty indeed. :)

I hate to disappoint you, but the combination of bread and miso isn't all that uncommon here in Japan. This is only natural because we have been baking bread for 300 years since the Portugese introduced it. That's why the Japanese word for 'bread' is 'pan', one of the few words if not the only one that our language shares with all Romance languages.

I trust that you can read みそ = miso on the packages.

emiluvsjmusic 10-26-2008 11:14 AM

Wow, no offense to anyone but that sounds and looks pretty gross :O

yuujirou 10-26-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic (Post 616058)
Wow, no offense to anyone but that sounds and looks pretty gross :O

Such a 外人 [Gaijin] :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

haha x]
jk... partially
different cultures have different foods....
i mean.... who'd ever figure to mix curry and ramen? >.>'''

Nyororin 10-26-2008 02:29 PM

I was always told that it`s very similar to that yeast spread popular in the UK and Australia. Marmite and... Vegemite? I forget which is sold where though.

When we visited Australia, that`s really exactly what it tasted like. Miso.

Quote:

i mean.... who'd ever figure to mix curry and ramen? >.>''
Curry and ramen isn`t so bad. It`s カレー鍋 that makes me cringe. :D

Trouble 10-26-2008 06:46 PM

Vegemite is um... it's like fermented bean paste except saltier and black. It really is an acquired taste. I think that it's as cultured as peanut butter and jelly is in the US.

sushidushi 10-26-2008 10:05 PM

Not at all disappointed - I feel honoured to find myself in such esteemed company. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagoyankee (Post 615778)
I hate to disappoint you, but the combination of bread and miso isn't all that uncommon here in Japan.

sushidushi 10-26-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 616123)
I was always told that it`s very similar to that yeast spread popular in the UK and Australia. Marmite and... Vegemite? I forget which is sold where though.

When we visited Australia, that`s really exactly what it tasted like. Miso.

Marmite is English; Vegemite, which is similar to Marmite, is Australian, but also sometimes available in England.

I love Marmite! But I'm not sure that I'd say it tastes like miso, except that it is delicious and salty.:)

sushidushi 10-26-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuujirou (Post 616078)
Such a 外人 [Gaijin]

I'm a gaijin and I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't eat miso for a day or two!

Is the word gaijin generally considered offensive, by the way? Doesn't bother me, either way - just wondering.:)