JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Exclamation Japanese fruit - 02-16-2009, 12:25 AM

Why the hell is Japanese fruit so perfect? It seemed like no fruit I bought there had any blemishes or bruises

Is it just strict quality control? Where do they import those perfect melons from?

And what do they feed their apples? I had ones the size of my large head

(#2 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

02-16-2009, 12:30 AM

Oh your right they are perfect !
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-16-2009, 01:05 AM

They raise them in greenhouses, and wrap the fruit in plastic and paper while they`re being grown, put soft padding beneath heavier ones, etc. Perfect examples are a rarity, which is why they`re so incredibly expensive. The imperfect ones can be found for 100th the price at local markets and pick-it-yourself establishments.

This is pretty big news right now, as the percentage of "perfect" fruit is around 3~5% of the crop - but it provides 95% of the profit for the growers. But with the economy suspicious at this point, no one wants to buy 800yen apples or 12000yen melons.... So the growers are starting to panic.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
iatethechildren (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to iatethechildren Send a message via MSN to iatethechildren Send a message via Yahoo to iatethechildren
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM

O.O;; They really have square watermelons?! Omg, when will we get SQUARE Bologna? You know... so it fits the bread. Lol.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

02-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Lol... But does it taste good?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Yuusuke (Offline)
Banned!

02-23-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatethechildren View Post
O.O;; They really have square watermelons?! Omg, when will we get SQUARE Bologna? You know... so it fits the bread. Lol.
we have it...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Perfect? I wonder why you think that

Cube Melons are difficult to eat, and I don't like any fruit grown in Greenhouses, doesn't have the same taste (though, this is probably psychological).
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-24-2009, 04:16 AM

Even after living here 10 years, I think I have only once spotted a square watermelon... And it was in a display advertising a store, not really on sale.

In general, the fruit usually is quite good. When I say "greenhouse" in reference to Japan, I probably should use "plastic sheet house" as it`s a more accurate term. The stuff is grown outside, just shielded from the more extreme weather by a thin vinyl sheet tent like thing.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
sdbri (Offline)
New to JF

02-26-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Even after living here 10 years, I think I have only once spotted a square watermelon... And it was in a display advertising a store, not really on sale.

In general, the fruit usually is quite good. When I say "greenhouse" in reference to Japan, I probably should use "plastic sheet house" as it`s a more accurate term. The stuff is grown outside, just shielded from the more extreme weather by a thin vinyl sheet tent like thing.
I have to agree here, fruit in Japan is great and they take a lot more care in growing it. The greenhouse is for climate control - it's still grown in the ground.

A lot of why fruit in most countries isn't as good is it's picked before it's ripe so it can be transported without being damaged. Unripe fruit is hard and durable, ripe fruit is soft and needs lots of packaging. You can see this done to the extreme with Avocados and Pineapples - they literally have to sit for weeks to ripe on a shelf after arriving.

This is the case for almost all fruit in the US, even many local sources. You can grow much better stuff in your own backyard, or get it direct from the farm. The biggest difference in higher end restaurants aside from preparation is the freshness and ripeness of their ingredients - they take care to source their ingredients with this in mind.

Last edited by sdbri : 02-26-2009 at 09:08 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
sushidushi (Offline)
JF Regular

03-06-2009, 02:13 AM

Is that melon really US $79.90...?