JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#111 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-15-2009, 08:56 PM

I am not sure whether it was American or Japanese food I corrupted this weekend, but I love it when experiments turn out this well.

I was craving a good, old fashioned, home-made BLT. But I discovered I was missing a major ingredient ..... the tomato. So I stared at the nearly empty vegetable crisper for a few minutes (adding to the chill of the already dropping temp of the kitchen) wondering if I should just scrap the whole idea. Then I decided to see what pickled radish would be like instead of the tomato.

I now have a new favorite sandwich - the BLPR (?) Some pickled daikon radish slices (still white, not the yellow) give the moist crunch and sourness, without the drip of the tomato. On the second one, I added a little red pepper paste, which was a nice twist and I suppose adds the missing red coloring if you feel the need.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#112 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-16-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
You'll take the bait??!?

im responding to your post (that had nothing to do with food), that makes you the bait.
My post has everything to do with food, and how to act towards people's cultures through table manners.

You went on a totally different subject, and part of culture, which did not match the subject.

It's called a Strawman.

Quote:
also I have been to the middle east (I like the way you say you are highly arabian background, does that mean your parents smoke alot of hash?)

cultural differences, lets see.
in most of the world, when you offer someone a can of drink you open the can and pour it into a glass.

in the middle east the culture is to give the person a closed can and glass.

if you actually go to the middle east. if you are invited into someones home you will always be offered food, (must refuse 3 times, then say yes)
and drink. and if the drink is in the form of a can in "polite" society you will be offered the can sealed.
No, it means I'm Turkish, Egyptian, and with ancestry that reaches into the deep middle east.

As far as I know, there is no such etiquette to handing out drinks. Since knowing the middle eastern culture, the host takes it personally to treat you with respect and complete comfort.

For, in the middle east, a family is judged by how their hospitality towards others is. A relative, friend and stranger are treated with the exact same hospitality.

There is no "refuse 3 times then say yes." in the Arabian hospitality etiquette. That is in the Chinese culture, and mainly happened when a high ranking Lord was offered the Emperor's seat.

When you go into an Arabian's house, as a guest, they will find the need to make you eat atleast a small part of every course they have to offer. Arabian hosts feel that they're doing a bad job in hosting if you're not given atleast a part of every course. They will often try to make you eat more than you can.

To refuse can be seen as an offence. For a visitor who does not overeat can be seen by the host as a guest who is not showing the proper appreciation.

Quote:
anyway, i sense you are just trolling now. you show your world view to be small. well done
Quite the opposite, actually. You show to have a small sense of understanding of a culture that belongs to my ancestors. And you insult me, and claim that I am the one trolling.

Quote:
also, you miss the cutical point.

BURGER PICKLE??!!!
I'm sure the hamburger sold in fast food chains are a huge part of culture.

Taln has perfectly explained it. Thank you Taln.

Ozkai: If you have nothing worthwhile to say, then don't say anything. No one cares.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#113 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-16-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

My post has everything to do with food, and how to act towards people's cultures through table manners.

You went on a totally different subject, and part of culture, which did not match the subject.

It's called a Strawman.

No, it means I'm Turkish, Egyptian, and with ancestry that reaches into the deep middle east.

As far as I know, there is no such etiquette to handing out drinks. Since knowing the middle eastern culture, the host takes it personally to treat you with respect and complete comfort.

For, in the middle east, a family is judged by how their hospitality towards others is. A relative, friend and stranger are treated with the exact same hospitality.

There is no "refuse 3 times then say yes." in the Arabian hospitality etiquette. That is in the Chinese culture, and mainly happened when a high ranking Lord was offered the Emperor's seat.

When you go into an Arabian's house, as a guest, they will find the need to make you eat atleast a small part of every course they have to offer. Arabian hosts feel that they're doing a bad job in hosting if you're not given atleast a part of every course. They will often try to make you eat more than you can.

To refuse can be seen as an offence. For a visitor who does not overeat can be seen by the host as a guest who is not showing the proper appreciation.

Quite the opposite, actually. You show to have a small sense of understanding of a culture that belongs to my ancestors. And you insult me, and claim that I am the one trolling.

I'm sure the hamburger sold in fast food chains are a huge part of culture.

Taln has perfectly explained it. Thank you Taln.
You speak very highly of your culture, something I certainly knew nothing about.

They wanted to build a Mosque down the road, locals were outraged and the Mosque building was denied.

I guess this is due to people's ignorance and lack of education regarding your culture.

Actually, the image of Afghanistan is very different to what the west invision.

if you go on to YouTube, do a search for "Kabul", you find some city tours and it rather amazing with mdoern shopping centres and ATM's.

My impression was that when In Kabul, you withdrew money from a goat!

I was definitely wrong.

Cheers - Oz
(#114 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-16-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
You speak very highly of your culture, something I certainly knew nothing about.

They wanted to build a Mosque down the road, locals were outraged and the Mosque building was denied.

I guess this is due to people's ignorance and lack of education regarding your culture.

Actually, the image of Afghanistan is very different to what the west invision.

if you go on to YouTube, do a search for "Kabul", you find some city tours and it rather amazing with mdoern shopping centres and ATM's.

My impression was that when In Kabul, you withdrew money from a goat!

I was definitely wrong.
Haha, many people think that. It's odd, we're given such a negative light at times from people. Such a negative light.

I understand due to the current situations in the word, Muslims are viewed with a wary eye, but we are warm people deep down. Many of us are very misguided, unfortunately. But apart from that, we have an interesting culture.

It's quite like the Japanese culture, in general, although there are differences.

(#115 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-16-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy View Post
@pockymepink

yes i understand what your saying, however the last 2 lines of your post apear to agree whith what you are quoting.
(also i have dealt with this many many times, my favourite is when people show the number 2 with the back of thier hand facing out which to anyone from the uk is rather rude)
you can tell if someone is offending you or not, thats not hard.
Basic social skills are required for this, as i am sure you are aware.
Basic social skills are not consistant around the world.
Your basic social skills are not the same as the ones in Japan, or any other country. This is what I'm trying to convey to you. These basic principals that you feels are just so easy to pick out are very difficult, even for professionals who study basic social behavior in other countries.

Eye contact, smiling, gestures, posture, stances, infliction in word usage - all of these vary around the world, and each mean different things. Eye contact in some countres (In Japan, too, I believe) is considered rude. Smiling in some countries is consider awkward, or weird. Etc, etc.

Point is, basic social skills in your own country - sure, easy to know when someone's joking around or being nice to you. But when those same social skills mean something totally different in another country, you can't be sure if they're joking or really trying to tick you off
(#116 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-16-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy View Post

@MMM

point 1: As stated, citizen of the world.
culture is no longer defined by where we are from, or who our parents are.
it is also becomeing increasingly less inluenced by where we grow up/live
though that is not to say that all is moving towards the world of a single tribe

this is occationally refered to as Globalisation, you may have heard of it??

point 2: shhh, your wrong.
there is a big difference between going out of your way to offend people, and not going out of your way to apease and be liked/respected.
If you need to bend over backwards and use your knoledge of local customs and ettiquete to foster respect (to the point that if you did not you would not get respect), then thats respect is pretty shallow and probably only exists in your own mind.

point 3: it happens everyday, on more than 3 occasions.
i refer you to guns and roses (peace be upon them)
"Live and let die"

point 4: this kind of self proclaiming tripe deserves no response but you can have one any way.

the response is: LOLZ @ U
We are all citizens of the world. That doesn't mean culture doesn't influence how you see things and do things.

In my line of work I must be very aware of globalization as well as localization.

You argument is like saying not telling the truth is dramatically different than lying. The results are the same. Going out of your way to offend is the same as not going out of your way not to offend.

No one said anything about "bending over backward". It just means don't stick your chopsticks in the rice when you know it is offensive. That's all.

This is tripe?

A part of expressing yourself is earning the respect to get your message across. Part of earning respect is being respectful. If you have no respect for anything but yourself, no one will have any respect for you. What you are trying to express will never be heard.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in fantasyland.
(#117 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-16-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:

Haha, many people think that. It's odd, we're given such a negative light at times from people. Such a negative light.

I understand due to the current situations in the word, Muslims are viewed with a wary eye, but we are warm people deep down. Many of us are very misguided, unfortunately. But apart from that, we have an interesting culture.

It's quite like the Japanese culture, in general, although there are differences.
Straying a bit off topic, but sometimes I find the level of negativity toward anything from the middle east a bit shocking.
There is a great program on in Japan - 世界ふれあい街歩き - that really shows the world very accurately. (Or at least I`d like to think so...)
They wander around different cities, avoiding most tourist spots, and just look at real life - talking to people, usually finding someone willing to show their home and family, etc.
Anyway, their walks in the middle east are always great to watch. Thanks to their "tours", right now the top cities my husband and I want to visit are places in that part of the world.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#118 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-16-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Straying a bit off topic, but sometimes I find the level of negativity toward anything from the middle east a bit shocking.
There is a great program on in Japan - 世界ふれあい街歩き - that really shows the world very accurately. (Or at least I`d like to think so...)
They wander around different cities, avoiding most tourist spots, and just look at real life - talking to people, usually finding someone willing to show their home and family, etc.
Anyway, their walks in the middle east are always great to watch. Thanks to their "tours", right now the top cities my husband and I want to visit are places in that part of the world.
That'd be very interesting to watch.

Is there a translated stream of it anywhere?

Apologies for the OT.

(#119 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-16-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
That show is great! It's one of the shows we can watch on TV Japan here in the US.
(#120 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-16-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:

That'd be very interesting to watch.

Is there a translated stream of it anywhere?

Apologies for the OT.
To keep from straying off topic, I`ll contact you out of this thread.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.