LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy View Post
I am a citizen of the world and whatever i decide to do, is "my" culture.
You can choose to be a part of a certain culture or cultures, but there will always be a greater culture that influences what you do and how you think.

Quote:
I dont go out of my way to offend people.
Knowing something is offensive and doing it anyway is the same thing.

Quote:
I dont expect someone from Japan (or anywhere else) to know the details of my culture. And im not going to get offended if they dont, or give them any brownie points for knowing.
That's easy to say until it happens.

Quote:
Live life to your own, express yourself. not how you "think" poeple expect you to express yourself.

where i am from we call that "Keeping it real"

A part of expressing yourself is earning the respect to get your message across. Part of earning respect is being respectful. If you have no respect for anything but yourself, no one will have any respect for you. What you are trying to express will never be heard.
(#92 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-14-2009, 08:51 PM

The mention of a "chicken sashimi" has me both curious and nauseous.

Are we talking completely raw chicken, or chicken chemically "cooked" with an acid instead of over a heat source?

Though I am not attracted to the still squirming versions of my beloved sashimi (fish!) I have no qualms about raw fish flesh consumption. However, being all too familiar with poultry processing just the thought ingesting raw chicken is enough to send me running the other direction. And I don't turkey, even if its well cooked. Once in a while I will have an over done wing, but that is generally my limit.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-14-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
what makes you think i "Respect" my own culture?

Ignorance is always a sweet cup to drink from, is it not?

Quote:
I wave at peopple with my right hand, thats offensive in certain parts of the world, in certain cultures. But i am not a part of those cultures.
I just have any real desire to fit in, or be an accepted part of the crowd.

I dont expect someone from Japan (or anywhere else) to know the details of my culture. And im not going to get offended if they dont, or give them any brownie points for knowing.
A man who does not respect other people and their customs has no manners, and in the long run, lacks social skills.

Quote:
Live life to your own, express yourself. not how you "think" poeple expect you to express yourself.

[/quote]

Where I am from, we call that "uncourteous" and "disrespectful". There is a different between "keeping it real." and being rude.

You can live your life without caring about others expectations, but you can still be mannered and courteous about such things.

To have no culture, is to have no identity.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#94 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Easier said than done.
I'm American, and while I'm pretty open minded about other cultures, I'm still grounded in my own, as well as the rest of us. If someone were to flip me the middle finger, or stick their tongue out at me, I would be offended. Why? Because in America, those are offensive gestures. However, in other parts of the world, these are friendly greetings.

It's not that they might not know about YOUR culture, it's that you probably don't know about theirs and have no way to know if they're offending you or not.
(#95 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
12-14-2009, 10:25 PM

Iv watched several customers in Japanese restaurants in the heart of DC actually stab their food with chop sticks. Now this is of course funny and yet sad. What makes it worse is their forks available why these people never ask for forks is beyond me. So i actually ask a customer who was sitting across from me why he was stabbing his food he told this is the way they eat in China and its rude to eat Chinese food any other way (did i mention we were at a Japanese restaurant) . All i could do was stare then face palm and go back to eating my meal.

Last edited by Sinestra : 12-14-2009 at 10:29 PM.
(#96 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-14-2009, 10:56 PM

You should've taken a pic. and posted it here.
(#97 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

12-14-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Iv watched several customers in Japanese restaurants in the heart of DC actually stab their food with chop sticks. Now this is of course funny and yet sad. What makes it worse is their forks available why these people never ask for forks is beyond me. So i actually ask a customer who was sitting across from me why he was stabbing his food he told this is the way they eat in China and its rude to eat Chinese food any other way (did i mention we were at a Japanese restaurant) . All i could do was stare then face palm and go back to eating my meal.

Im pretty sure chinese people don't stab their food in china either.
Trust me, I'm chinese. They use chopsticks too.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#98 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-14-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
what makes you think i "Respect" my own culture?

I wave at peopple with my right hand, thats offensive in certain parts of the world, in certain cultures. But i am not a part of those cultures.
I just have any real desire to fit in, or be an accepted part of the crowd.

It's all very usual for different cultures.

When I went to live in japan, I was constantly worried that I may offend if I didn't copy certain aspects of their culture.

I actually then realized that it didn't make any difference, and at the end of the day, I simply became natural, and was well respected for that.

On the other hand, I met foreigners that wanted to become Japanese, and it just looked so un-natural for both Japanese and foreigners alike.

Cultures are always a fun part of travelling.

Cheers - Oz
(#99 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-14-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
That's also confusing for me.

It's rude in Japan to "stab" your food with chopstick's.

I could not understand why Chinese would stab their food either because whilst I realize it was a Japanese restaurant with pointy end chopsticks, Chinese chopstick's are very broadly rounded on the tips and would be difficult to stab .

I have found that my Western people who cannot use chopstick's well, and lack the rules of Asian etiquette, that they often stab their food whilst attempting to master the fine art of eating with chopsticks.

Cheers - Oz
(#100 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
The mention of a "chicken sashimi" has me both curious and nauseous.

Are we talking completely raw chicken, or chicken chemically "cooked" with an acid instead of over a heat source?
Completely raw, fresh from a chicken slaughtered (usually) that day.

Quote:
Though I am not attracted to the still squirming versions of my beloved sashimi (fish!) I have no qualms about raw fish flesh consumption. However, being all too familiar with poultry processing just the thought ingesting raw chicken is enough to send me running the other direction. And I don't turkey, even if its well cooked. Once in a while I will have an over done wing, but that is generally my limit.
There is chicken rated for raw consumption, and chicken that is not. Pretty much anything you would find at a supermarket is way into the "not" territory even in Japan. Imported chicken is never approved. The type that is rated for raw consumption is much more expensive due to a difference in rearing and processing the chicken. Near our house is a place that processes chicken for raw consumption. Every morning, a truck shows up with cages of living chickens. You ask for a chicken and they slaughter and pluck it (or rather, steam the feathers off) and hand it over within minutes. The actual butchering is done back at the restaurant.

Having had a relative work in a poultry processing plant in the US... I would NEVER EVER EVER eat raw chicken there. There is a reason they tell you to make sure you cook it through and through in the US.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.