JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#151 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

Funny moment, while observing local customs - 12-21-2009, 02:40 PM

during an important "closing the deal" dinner with some very senior families, (in someones home aswell!)

after learning some "new" japanese from a certain hottie, and with the repeat events promised to me that very night on my mind, when asked by the host if i was pleased with everything. i replied in my finest Japanese

"Kono Agee wa oshiri des!"
(This tastes like ass!)
as aposed to
"Kono Agee wa oishi des"
"this is tasty"

everyone looked very serious for about half a second, (i had offended the wife of a family head one does not normally offend). then burst out laughing.

my fixer explained why everyone was laughing,
also it was funny on another level because aparently she was not a very good cook, (tasted fine to me though) but everyone including her husband) was always too polite to say anything.
(#152 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy View Post
during an important "closing the deal" dinner with some very senior families, (in someones home aswell!)

after learning some "new" japanese from a certain hottie, and with the repeat events promised to me that very night on my mind, when asked by the host if i was pleased with everything. i replied in my finest Japanese

"Kono Agee wa oshiri des!"
(This tastes like ass!)
as aposed to
"Kono Agee wa oishi des"
"this is tasty"

everyone looked very serious for about half a second, (i had offended the wife of a family head one does not normally offend). then burst out laughing.

my fixer explained why everyone was laughing,
also it was funny on another level because aparently she was not a very good cook, (tasted fine to me though) but everyone including her husband) was always too polite to say anything.
They were also no doubt laughing at the Gaijin's ignorance in the Japanese custom and in normal manners and courtesy.

So well done. You just aided in reinforcing the stereotype that we westerners have in Japan

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#153 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

12-21-2009, 05:26 PM

dude, what kind of $1 crack are you smoking?

i wanted to end a pretty trolly, flame thread on a happy/funny anecdote and you have to come in with your worthless 2 pesos.

so just for kicks.

1. you say "no doubt"
only a fool (and an arrogant one at that [oh the hypocracy] ) would be able to comment on an anecdote with "No Doubt"
you do not know the facts of the situation, therefore, ergo, there is doubt.
unless you were there yourself, you cannot comment on what people were thinking in an event you know nothing about.

2. you say "Gaijin"
gaijin is a sometimes offensive (depends on context, please dont debate) term used at white people, it may technically mean anyone foreign to japan but is pretty much used exclusively to describe white people, someone who is black will seldom be called gaijin.

as you yourself are not white, perhaps someone (and that'l be me) should point out that it is not your place to use words that can be used to describe someones race if you are not of that same race. (this includes but is not limited to the words honky, cracka and whitey)

thats why 50 gets away with saying Nger this Nger that, and chris martin from coldplay doesn't.
(this is international manners)

3. you asume they were laughing at my "ignorance of Japanese custom and courtesey"
I understand Japanese culture and custom a little bit more than you.
whats more i have an understanding of the 'deeper meaning' behind them which is always more important than the custom itself, and you would have trouble understanding from a website, which is (I assume) your only point of reference on japanese culture and custom.

4. ignorance in "normal manners"
so now you are bringing about a personal attack, which you cannot justify or validate. i know how to carry myself in realms of society (on an international level) that you don't even know exist. Boy.

the stereotype that we westerners have in Japan,
I dont know what kind of Pr*cks you hang out with,
but anyone who judges anything based on a "stereotype" is a person that is beneath me. will be treated as such, and deserve it.

In conclusion

shh
(#154 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:

i wanted to end a pretty trolly, flame thread on a happy/funny anecdote and you have to come in with your worthless 2 pesos.

so just for kicks.

1. you say "no doubt"
only a fool (and an arrogant one at that [oh the hypocracy] ) would be able to comment on an anecdote with "No Doubt"
unless you were there yourself, you cannot comment on what people were thinking in an event you know nothing about.

2. you say "Gaijin"
gaijin is a sometimes offensive (depends on context, please dont debate) term used at white people, it may technically mean anyone foreign to japan but is pretty much used exclusively to describe white people, someone who is black will seldom be called gaijin.

as you yourself are not white, perhaps someone (and that'l be me) should point out that it is not your place to use words that can be used to describe someones race if you are not of that same race. (this includes but is not limited to the words honky, cracka and whitey)

thats why 50 gets away with saying Nger this Nger that, and chris martin from coldplay doesn't.

3. you asume they were laughing at my "ignorance of Japanese custom and courtesey"
whats more i have an understanding of the 'deeper meaning' behind them which is always more important than the custom itself, and you would have trouble understanding from a website, which is (I assume) your only point of reference on japanese culture and custom.

so now you are bringing about a personal attack, which you cannot justify or validate. i know how to carry myself in realms of society (on an international level) that you don't even know exist. Boy.

but anyone who judges anything based on a "stereotype" is a person that is beneath me. will be treated as such, and deserve it.

In conclusion

shh
I have no idea why I respond to you any more. . .

2) 'Gaijin' is a pretty common term, and although not tecnhnically politcally correct I wouldn't go as far to say it's racist or rant about it to the extent you have. It's certainly not as offensive as you make it out to be. 3) Why do you assume you know the culture better than he does? If you're making such social gaffs then I'd personally say that you don't. 5) You really don't make yourself sound like an adult, especially when you tell people to 'shh' when you disagree with them.
(#155 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

12-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:

so just for kicks.

1. you say "no doubt"

2. you say "Gaijin"

In conclusion

shh
Your reaction delights me, especially since you consist of pulling the "child" card on me, which means nothing, in my eyes. Since, an adult should be able to use simple capital letters, no?

No wait, you're right, I'm a child. My opinion doesn't matter. Arrogance. Always a lovely trait to have.

1: The word "no doubt" is a simple saying. You don't need to write a paragraph, so that I can understand what it means. I know the meaning of "no doubt", and I don't require your expertise to understand it.

Thank you for wasting your time though

2: Gaijin isn't as offensive as you make it out to be. The word "Gaijin" is used more for "foreigners" than "white people". Don't take it too heart. It's been used against me many times. I didn't get offended, and nor should you make such a commotion out of it.

Get over it.

3: Ah, the ignorance. No, actually my "reference" for my knowledge on Japan, is going there countless times, and living under with a Japanese family for 2 weeks. To add, I have a friend who has come over from Japan, and who I talk to regularly.

This isn't a competition of "who knows Japanese culture more than the other." Since you might know a deal more than me. But, maybe not. Perhaps, you should stop being so ignorant, and understand that my age doesn't touch my wit, nor my knowledge.

I know a fair bit about culture. I don't need age to tell me about it. Perhaps you should stop using your age as a means to try and justify your knowledge?

4: Yet again, you misunderstand.

I was criticising the "normal manners" of the Gaijin stereotype. Not yours. I'm not out to vex or wrong you. I have better things to do with my time.

5: You obviously haven't lived in Japan for a good amount of time. We westerners aren't seen as the most intelligent of people in the world. We're viewed with a sort of wariness. If there is a crime, and a Gaijin was there, then he'd no doubt probably be one of the main suspects from the start until proven innocent. However, since the Japanese are known for their politeness, and their courtesy, it's not displayed into our faces.

Not everyone sees us like that, but then again, it wouldn't be a stereotype then, would it?

Then again. I'm just an ignorant little boy, who knows nothing of the way of the world. My opinion is invalid, in shadow of your awesome intelligence.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#156 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

12-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I have no idea why I respond to you any more. . .

2) 'Gaijin' is a pretty common term, and although not tecnhnically politcally correct I wouldn't go as far to say it's racist or rant about it to the extent you have. It's certainly not as offensive as you make it out to be. 3) Why do you assume you know the culture better than he does? If you're making such social gaffs then I'd personally say that you don't. 5) You really don't make yourself sound like an adult, especially when you tell people to 'shh' when you disagree with them.
oh god,

im really not doing this all over again!

1. counting starts with one

2. yes it politically incorrect and as such how "upset" or amount of "hissy" i decide is fit is entirely at my own discretion,
personally i dont give 2 hoots, but as the general theme seems to be how important it is to be polite and mannered, and then to use the word gaijin is hypocracy

3. it was was not a social gaffe, it was a freudian slip

4.the next number is 4, and as stated the fact that i know more about certain world cultures than salv is based upon the assumption (as stated) that his sole point of reference is the internet

5 well your only as young as the woman you feel

and i ended my post with shh because i was hoping for that to be the end of it, and as an indication that a pointless flame war was not on the cards.

as really i was coming back with clearly petty-over sensitive points regarding the level of my offense.

something salv managed to grasp, and understand

but you like so much else have completely misunderstood.

stop,
there is no need to reply.
you defending salv is like a mouse defending the US 3rd tank devision.

eek eek, "who moved the cheese??"

-----------
lolz ,

i didn't expect you to take that seriously salv

Last edited by WhoIsDaffy : 12-21-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: meh, same time post
(#157 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-21-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
2. you say "Gaijin"
Wrong. Completely wrong. Any non-Japanese can be and will be referred to as gaijin and gaikokujin. Chinese, European, African, doesn't matter.

Shh.
(#158 (permalink))
Old
WhoIsDaffy (Offline)
Banned

12-21-2009, 11:09 PM

thank you for pointing that one out there cpt obvious,

love the way you bold all but the part where i say that very thing.

still,

sometimes other races are refered to by names other than gaijin,

such as koko-jin or worse crobo.

anyway,

as stated,
i was just being silly with salv.

probably time to let thread rest methinks

though on a final note

Burger, remove pickle,

why?

so uncouth
(#159 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-21-2009, 11:41 PM

What is a "crobo"?

White people are called other things besides gaijin and gaikokujin.
(#160 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

12-22-2009, 02:30 AM

Daffy, I have a similar word to, gaijin, here in Thailand. They call us foreigner (especially whites), falang.

I don't mind the word. It's no different than us calling in Australia the Japanese, tourists, Asians, foreigners. Because all of those things might be true.

It only becomes offensive when someone knows your name, but persists to call you, gaijin/farang, instead of addressing you formally.

If people who know you are still calling you this, then you have every right to tell them to have some respect and address you with decency.

However, if the term is thrown around loosely in reffering to someone who's name you do not know, it's okay. It's just another word.

Finnally, there are few cultures in the word that have any eating skills whatsoever. The top two are Western cultures and Japanese. Most other cultures ate with their hands until only recently; some still do.

For someone who takes such an effort himself to practice correct eating, I despise people like you. You're trying to trash and boganize one of the best eating methods in the world. You should be ashamed.

If there is a Japanese steriotype, it deserves to be you; they should put you on national TV trying to eat traditional Japanese cuisine with a fork and spoon so everyone can laugh at the stupid bogan foreigner.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…