JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
pmulcahy25 (Offline)
New to JF

maple syrup in japan - 04-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Maple syrup in Japan:

1. What are some of the most common sweeteners in Japan? (ex. honey, brown rice syrup, maple syrup)

2. Where would someone normally buy sweeteners in japan and how often? (ex. street/farmers markets, corner stores)

3. What are the common uses for each sweetener in Japan? For instance what is the most common use for honey? Maple syrup?

4. What type of people usually buys the common sweeteners? What type of person buys honey, what type of person would buy maple syrup?

5. Do you think Maple syrup has a future in Japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
pmulcahy25 (Offline)
New to JF

04-28-2009, 01:14 AM

What do people in Japan use maple syrup for?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-28-2009, 01:16 AM

In my experience, maple syrup is a luxury item that is rather expensive when purchased in Japan. When people do have it they put it on pancakes.

I often see people purchase maple syrup as gifts to take home to Japan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Undertherose25 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-28-2009, 02:42 AM

My goodness someone likes Maple Syrup.

Well...you know any advanced country is going to have imports or exports. We have Asian imports so why can't they have Canadian/American imported as well?

♥Proud Wife of a U.S. Airman♥

Dir en Grey
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

04-28-2009, 03:06 AM

Good point what MMM said as I know shops abound here selling all honey's and related products targetting the JP tourist.

I lived in a town in Kyoto named Fushimi Momoyama.

We had a small private shop down the road selling honey and the hives for bees. The price of a jar was like around $25

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
04-28-2009, 03:14 AM

2 words, Cracker Barrel.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-28-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy25 View Post
1. What are some of the most common sweeteners in Japan? (ex. honey, brown rice syrup, maple syrup)
If we eliminate normal white sugar and limit ourselves to stuff you pour directly over the food when you eat it... Honey, general purpose "syrup", caramel syrup, etc.

Quote:
2. Where would someone normally buy sweeteners in japan and how often? (ex. street/farmers markets, corner stores)
This depends on the sweetener, but I am going to say that 95% of the time people buy it at regular supermarkets. Novelty type syrups - specialty honey, maple syrup, etc - are usually sold in specialty shops and high end supermarkets.

Quote:
3. What are the common uses for each sweetener in Japan? For instance what is the most common use for honey? Maple syrup?
Honey is popular to spread on toast. General syrup and maple syrup for pancakes. Caramel, honey, and maple are also used in cooking. However, on average I can`t say that any of these are used on a daily sort of basis.

Quote:
4. What type of people usually buys the common sweeteners? What type of person buys honey, what type of person would buy maple syrup?
I`m going to say this is all up to preference and cost. If someone likes maple syrup and can afford it (usually 800 yen for a small bottle, in contrast to 200 for general purpose syrup or 400 for honey) they will likely buy it.

Quote:
5. Do you think Maple syrup has a future in Japan?
I definitely think so, as pretty much everyone knows of it. Maple flavored cookies and the like are quite popular.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
pmulcahy25 (Offline)
New to JF

04-28-2009, 04:04 AM

Thank you very much for the great response.