JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

Popular organic foods in Japan - 05-18-2009, 06:40 PM

I have heard that because of a variety of tainted-food scandals that organic foods are gaining in popularity in Japan.

Does anyone in Japan know what the most popular types of organic foods are?

If I were to send a gift box to someone who was into organic food who lived in Japan, what would be a big hit? (Obviously perishables like berries are impossible, but any non-perishables is possible.)

Also, is it legal to send seeds in the mail?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2009, 11:58 AM

I would say tofu and rice. But tofu is perishable. High quality organic tofu is a nice treat for a veggie.

Sending seeds domestically if of course ok. But, sending seeds internationally, is illegal, but done often. Technically you could get in a lot of trouble. A few packs of seeds are usually no worry.

Last edited by wasabijuice : 05-19-2009 at 12:04 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

05-19-2009, 12:05 PM

I tried japanese pears the other day [much like chinese pears but sweeter]
I'm not sure if its organic though =)

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Hmm... I would say to go for dried fruit, trail mixes, etc.
Fresh organic fruits and vegetables are pretty common these days. For example らでぃっしゅぼーや and it`s kin. We buy our vegetables through them, and they offer various gift packs if you`re just aiming to give someone something organic without it necessarily being from overseas.

As for seeds - I really can`t see why you`d want to send any? You can buy pretty much every type of seed and bulb with ease inside Japan - and any you can`t are certainly going to be against the law to import.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

05-19-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

Also, is it legal to send seeds in the mail?
To Japan from Australia, yes, but the other way around, no.

Infact, If I sent a box from Japan to Australia and that box just happend to be a box that was used for fruit, It is also illegal and Japan post wouldn't accept it.

Australia has strict quarantine rules, not sure about the US, Europe and the other's.

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

05-19-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
To Japan from Australia, yes, but the other way around, no.

Infact, If I sent a box from Japan to Australia and that box just happend to be a box that was used for fruit, It is also illegal and Japan post wouldn't accept it.

Australia has strict quarantine rules, not sure about the US, Europe and the other's.

Phytosanitary certificates (meaning they are disease free and inspected) are required for all seeds entering Japan, and most countries. They are expensive.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-19-2009, 03:00 PM

Organic coffee, multi-purpose syrup, lemon/lime juice, olive oil, salad dressings, crackers, preserves, etc.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Rather than sending something from outside of Japan, perhaps you can find a company (vis the net) to deliver a nice selection of organic products locally.

Sort like having flowers delivered. Then there would not be any quarantine issues and the items should be fresh.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I understand what you are thinking, TalnSG, but I am hoping for things that are 1) organic and 2) not available (or available easily or inexpensively) in Japan that I can access easily here in the Northwest US (where there are lots of organic shops, restaurants, grocers, farmers markets, etc.)

You have given me some great ideas.

I had heard mini-gardens on verandas, etc are gaining popularity so people can grow their own vegetables, so I was thinking if there were some varieties of tomatoes or onions not available in Japan it might make an interesting gift. I didn't realize the laws on seeds were so strict...will have to rethink that.

How do you like Radish Boya, Nyororin? I have heard good things about them, but it sounds a little spendy....organic always is.