JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Sake Vs Spirits (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/25285-sake-vs-spirits.html)

xYinniex 05-20-2009 04:15 PM

Sake Vs Spirits

The ultimate showdown, Sake VS Spirits.
Which do you like better?
Which one can you tolerate more?
What gets you drunk quicker?

Personally, I find that because I'm asian, I can't usually tolerate normal spirits like vodka, malibu, barcardi, I just go tomato red, the WHOOLLE FACE. Whereas, when i drink Sake, maybe because i'm used to a rice based diet, I don't really go red [until about 4 cups haha], I only get a pretty pink tinge on my cheeks.

I personally like the availability of normal spirits. I only drink sake with family and close friends. =) very rarely.

iPhantom 05-20-2009 04:22 PM

Well, when I want to get drunk I want to enjoy the drink. I don't like normal Vodka that much, neither Baccardi. Campari is for me, or Metaxa.

o.o I didn't know being asian has a different effect on normal spirits. Also, I've yet to try Sake.

Salvanas 05-20-2009 04:37 PM

Getting drunk, for me, is a chore. I have a stomach of steel fortunately, so unlike others, I can enjoy the drink and watch everyone else die around me. *Grins*

But, I've only tried a few bottles of sake. Which I loved, but I want to try different types first before judging.

Yinnie, we're going Sake drinking! :P

Hatredcopter 05-20-2009 05:22 PM

Alcohol is alcohol, and it'll act the same on you regardless of your race. Keep in mind that sake is typically 15-20% alcohol, whereas most spirits are 40% (or more). This might be why you feel you can tolerate sake better.

I generally like the taste of sake, although I rarely drink it, despite being in Japan. Sake is not popular at all with the younger generations in Japan, and since I typically hang out with people of that age group, I don't get a chance to drink sake much. Every now and then I'll order a strong cup of awamori if I'm in an izakaya, but other than that, I don't drink it much.

TalnSG 05-20-2009 06:48 PM

Preferring umeshu to sake, I would have to say spirits.

Once in a while I will have sake, as long as it is cold and unfiltered. are Its very difficult for me to even get past the aroma of the filtered and/or warm sakes. Since this usually translates to a preference for the higher prices varieties, I usually stick to my umeshu .... unless I can find soju.

When all else fails, make mine a single malt scotch with ice.

Gahzirra 05-20-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatredcopter (Post 719758)
Alcohol is alcohol, and it'll act the same on you regardless of your race. Keep in mind that sake is typically 15-20% alcohol, whereas most spirits are 40% (or more). This might be why you feel you can tolerate sake better.

Wrong Hatred it may not be race specifically, but it is a genetic trait that is very common among the Asian population. This phenomenon of the "Asian Glow" affects about 50 percent of Asians when experiencing alcohol. The reason is genetic; those affected have an inactive form of the enzyme needed to break down alcohol's main byproduct, acetaldehyde.

I actually think this is even higher than 50% as my 4 Asian friends all experience this genetic trait, although some to higher degrees than others. My Korean friend can light up a room after just a few drinks.

reptilesandsamurai 05-20-2009 08:44 PM

I'm not a big fan of Sake. My beverages of choice are Captain and Coke or Crown Royal reserve and ice.

kenmei 05-20-2009 11:48 PM

i prefer shochu to sake any day, i can drink sake but i don't really like the taste of straight alcohol (this goes for any)

more specifically i love chu-hai, especially yuzu...

can chuhai are the best :D

kenmei 05-20-2009 11:52 PM

for non-japanese my preferences are usually 7&7, bloody marys and wine (<3 chianti)

generally those are considered more adult drinks but i've grown out of my drink to get hammered phase...

i can still drink all the normal hard stuff, vodka cran (<3 level & goose), rum and coke, jack n coke, adios mofo, long islands but i don't really go that route anymore.

it'll usually take me a few (3+) of those to start getting a good buzz on

Salvanas 05-20-2009 11:59 PM

I prefer shots most of the time. But if I'm relaxing, either a Martini, or Gin + Tonic is the best for me. Cool and bitter.