JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Whale Meat! - 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM

I know I am gonna get bashed for scoffing whale meat but listen...

In my local mart (hallo mart) they have some whale meat in the fish section and it tickled my curiosity so I went ahead and bought some sashimi quality whale.
For starters I thought I would be chewing on some whale flavour rubber and that the taste would be like land mammal;but boy was I wrong.

The stuff was awesome!!! It was so soft and delicate in texture and packed a really fishy flavour. After scoffing half of the whale steak sashimi style I decided to taste it cooked, so I took the remaining half and pan fried it quickly so to leave the middle reddish. My god this stuff tastes as good cooked as it does raw.

I can totally understand why my UK forebears hunted this meat and also why the Japanese still do. It tastes LOVELY!!! (and can feed a whole village)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Heather (Offline)
IamAmongNoOne.

02-01-2010, 03:36 PM

I would love to try it, but, whale isn't kosher.

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness will never understand it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2010, 03:39 PM

I eat pork too and I don't think that is kosher the last time I checked!

If I let other people dictate to me what I can and can't eat then I wouldn't be the carnivore I am today
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM

It was actually good? I have tried whale twice, and both times tasted pretty crappy. The first was whale bacon, which was gag inducing awful (like bacon that had been soaked in rancid sea water for weeks...) and the second was a sashimi quality cut of it... It was tough, chewy, and again tasted like a cross between beef and pork that had been, again, soaked in rancid seawater. Fried and it was tolerable but definitely not something I have the urge to try again.

I`ll have to take a look at my own local Hallo to try again.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I would love to try it, but, whale isn't kosher.
It swims in the ocean and has fins, but its a mammal and has no scales. Its been too many years since my talmudic studies to be absolutely certain, but I seem to recall the delineating factor for seafood is that it must have scales to be kosher.

no sharing my ebi with you, but you can have my toro.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
I know I am gonna get bashed for scoffing whale meat but listen...

In my local mart (hallo mart) they have some whale meat in the fish section and it tickled my curiosity so I went ahead and bought some sashimi quality whale.
For starters I thought I would be chewing on some whale flavour rubber and that the taste would be like land mammal;but boy was I wrong.

The stuff was awesome!!! It was so soft and delicate in texture and packed a really fishy flavour. After scoffing half of the whale steak sashimi style I decided to taste it cooked, so I took the remaining half and pan fried it quickly so to leave the middle reddish. My god this stuff tastes as good cooked as it does raw.

I can totally understand why my UK forebears hunted this meat and also why the Japanese still do. It tastes LOVELY!!! (and can feed a whole village)
Delicious, almost as good as dolphin.

I won't touch horse meat though. Basashi is just wrong. A horse is man's loyal friend.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

02-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
It was tough, chewy, and again tasted like a cross between beef and pork that had been, again, soaked in rancid seawater.
Sounds like you got some poor quality stuff. Whale sashimi at one of our local izakaya is extremely soft, tender, and moist, with plenty of flavor - no toughness whatsoever. I can't vouch for whale bacon, though.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-02-2010, 03:28 AM

Never tried it, but i will someday.

I wanna try Kangaroo. They say Kangaroo is good.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 02-02-2010 at 05:23 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-02-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Sounds like you got some poor quality stuff. Whale sashimi at one of our local izakaya is extremely soft, tender, and moist, with plenty of flavor - no toughness whatsoever. I can't vouch for whale bacon, though.
This is probably the case - I picked it up because it seemed reasonably priced when compared to other cuts of whale meat I`d spotted.

I`ve heard it`s great in curry, which is something I`d like to try sometime.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-02-2010, 11:28 AM

I must say it was very soft, tender and kinda melted in the mouth. It had a very strong taste of oily fish but not in a bad way.
Did not digg the horse sashimi so much, I ask them to fry it after one bite.

Still on my list of "want to eat that" are Camel, Dolphin, Kangaroo. I wouldn't mind a Panda steak next time I visit China, although I have eaten Bear I can just imagine the subtle overtones of bamboo.