Old
Cocomic (Offline)
New to JF

03-14-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpum View Post
The difference between chopsticks and knife & fork = evolution
This is not entirely correct.
The Japanese used to eat with chopsticks much earlier than the Europeans used knife and fork.
Therefore, there weren't as many lethal deseases in Asia as in Europe, especially during the Middle Age.

I'd rather call it a belated civilisation :-P

Last edited by Cocomic : 03-14-2010 at 07:55 PM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
basumarmi1510 (Offline)
New to JF

03-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Specially it depends on what I am gonna eating actually.......

However, chopsticks deff will be more preferable to me.
Thanks for your nice post...........
(#23 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

03-15-2010, 03:28 AM

If I have chopsticks and the food is chopstick friendly.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Knife & Fork...actually just fork.

Maybe the question should be "which is the actual easiest to use" because then of course the fork is easier. The difference between chopsticks and knife & fork = evolution
both utensils can be used crudely or eloquently.
however, chopsticks do require a little more skill to utilise effectively than silverware.

honestly, i have no true preference as i prefer to use the ware that's suitable and respectable to the cuisine.
ex. butcher a finely cooked whole fish with a knife and fork, or delicately pick away the flesh with chopsticks?
or slice through an 8oz rib-eye with a knife and fork with ease or exert pitiful amounts of force to unsuccessfully portion the same cut to bite-size pieces >.>'

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM

Normally I would agree with pairing the utensils to the cuisine being consumed. However, the past few decades have seen the standard western fork made with progressively rounder and duller tines; to the extent that many will not pierce a lettuce leaf. Whatever happened to forks really having tines? Were there too many accidental stabbings from running with table forks that now they have to resemble the points of scissors made for pre-schoolers?

Oops, didn't meant to unleash one of my pet peeves. I will just go back to my ceasar salad and chopsticks. They really do work better for salads than forks these days.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-16-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Knife & Fork...actually just fork.

Maybe the question should be "which is the actual easiest to use" because then of course the fork is easier. The difference between chopsticks and knife & fork = evolution
There is no "of course" about this at all. That a fork is easier to use is just your opinion and plenty of Japanese people might disagree with you. It can also depend on the food- like TalnSG I find it way easier to eat a lettuce salad with chopsticks than a fork because the lettuce will move around on a fork (if you can even get it onto the fork) but is more controllable with chopsticks.

And forks did not evolve from chopsticks- when in European history did people use chopsticks for them to have evolved into a fork?
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Naedora (Offline)
JF Regular

03-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
There is no "of course" about this at all. That a fork is easier to use is just your opinion and plenty of Japanese people might disagree with you. It can also depend on the food- like TalnSG I find it way easier to eat a lettuce salad with chopsticks than a fork because the lettuce will move around on a fork (if you can even get it onto the fork) but is more controllable with chopsticks.

And forks did not evolve from chopsticks- when in European history did people use chopsticks for them to have evolved into a fork?
The chopsticks came from Asia, i believe China, and Japanese adopted the customs from the land they came from.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-18-2010, 01:37 AM

Yes, I know that. From China, via Korea, to Japan, most likely. My point is that for chopsticks to have "evolved" into forks, people in Europe would have had to use chopsticks first, and later forks, with some utensil that was an in-between stage as well- that's the meaning of "evolve".
(#29 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
03-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasi View Post
Yes, I know that. From China, via Korea, to Japan, most likely. My point is that for chopsticks to have "evolved" into forks, people in Europe would have had to use chopsticks first, and later forks, with some utensil that was an in-between stage as well- that's the meaning of "evolve".
if you trace history way back... i believe europeans used to eat w/ knives >.>'''
like... hunting knives, lolz

the chopsticks were actually used first by royalty for a number of eras before they eventually descended into the lower classes of society.
>.>''
this is in japan, of course. I have no idea as to the role of chopsticks in chinese history >.>''

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-21-2010, 01:55 AM

Evolution of a utensil usually includes not only having pre-dated the use fo the untensil in question, but the replacement of it for common usage.

Not only did western flatware not succeed the use of chopsticks as common utensils in western culture, chopsticks have certainly not been replaced in any culture where they were ever in common use.

To even suggest that chopsticks are archaic, or that european flatware is an evolutionary advance over them, is not only incorrect, but hints of european arrogance.

And before anyone goes there, check your history before you cite the use of spoons or ladels. You will find their first documented use is not in western culture.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.