JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Zongo (Offline)
New to JF

05-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Ramen, udon, soba, rice, Japanese style yaki-niku, sashimi, sushi, (though hands are the traditional method) shabu shabu, sukiyaki, shoga-yaki, gyoza. Shall I go on?
I am with you on everything but the rice. It makes no sense to eat rice with chopsticks. If you had to move a tonne of sand from one place to another would you want to use two long sticks or a shovel?
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

05-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zongo View Post
I am with you on everything but the rice. It makes no sense to eat rice with chopsticks. If you had to move a tonne of sand from one place to another would you want to use two long sticks or a shovel?
Nonsense!

That just proves you don't eat the fine, sticky short-grain Japanese rice. If your rice is like sand, you must be eating the cheapest long-grain rice.

How can it make no sense to eat rice with chopsticks when in Japanese, the word for "cooked rice" also means a "meal"?
(#43 (permalink))
Old
jbradfor (Offline)
JF Regular

05-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Sticky rice in a bowl is pretty easy to eat with chopsticks, especially when you can lift the bowl to your mouth and just shovel it in. However, I'm not convinced that it is easier than a fork.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Sputnik0 (Offline)
New to JF

05-04-2010, 04:16 PM

As long as it's not soup or cornflakes, i'll eat it with chopsticks
(#45 (permalink))
Old
xHikariXCutenesSXAmex (Offline)
Alice Nine is life

05-09-2010, 02:47 AM

Chopsticks most definately. I can't eat rice without them. It just doesn't work.

Alice Nine is Life
(#46 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
I find it odd that you are with me on everything, meaning you know about Japanese food, but seem to no nothing about Japanese rice. As it has already been said, Japanese rice is sticky and clumps together, not like the shitty Uncle Ben's minute rice that you seem to be talking about.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-09-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradfor View Post
Sticky rice in a bowl is pretty easy to eat with chopsticks, especially when you can lift the bowl to your mouth and just shovel it in. However, I'm not convinced that it is easier than a fork.
I am convinced it is easier. With a fork you need to use more balance to ensure whatever you put on it does not fall off, whereas with chopsticks the rice is firmly gripped.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-09-2010, 05:33 AM

Eating Japanese rice with a fork is an effort in frustration. It is sticky enough that it sticks to the fork, and you can`t just scoop up a bit - you get a huge clump.

I can see the thinking being applied to loose rice - but Japanese don`t usually eat loose rice with chopsticks. You get a spoon or similar implement.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.