Old
honoraryjapanesegirl (Offline)
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

Send a message via Yahoo to honoraryjapanesegirl
Fugu! - 06-16-2010, 01:20 AM

Hey, guys!

My Mom and I were looking at this website when we came across this:

World's Scariest Foods in Food + Wine on Concierge.com

Has anybody ever eaten this? I know it says it's really expensive, but I was curious to know if anyone had slpurged on their adventerous side.

I also wanted to know, it doesn't say in the article, but, does the fish become non-poisonous or something when you boil it, or when it's cooked?? Or does it stay that way?! DX

Lol, thanks, guys, and have a wonderful day~!

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
~.::{Akatsuki Clan Member--Leader of California}::.~
~.::{Michiko Manami}::.~

Last edited by honoraryjapanesegirl : 06-16-2010 at 01:25 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
06-16-2010, 01:27 AM

I've seen this on many cooking shows, and from what they say, the chefs remove the poison sack, rendering it non-poison.

Though they leave enough poison to numb your mouth when you eat it. I'm hoping to try it if I can find a local resturaunt that serves it
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-16-2010, 01:39 AM

I`ve had it raw, in soup, in alcohol, and dried. Also had the roe.

As far as taste, it`s pretty normal. I personally didn`t find it particularly amazing. Cooking it doesn`t remove the poison, so you have to be specially certified to prepare it.

The roe was quite good, and is something I`d like to have again. The sake was fairly nasty, in my opinion... But I was out with someone who loved it, so ended up having to drink WAY too much of it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

06-16-2010, 02:03 AM

Ah, you're brave ones, PockyMePink, and Nyororin!!

Nyororin: Wow! They make sake out of that thing?! That's nuts!! So, it just tasted kinda fishy, that's all? No distinct flavour or anything?

PockyMePink: Lol, enough to numb your tongue, eh? Quite gnarly...I wonder if I should try it...anyone recommend it?

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

(#5 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2010, 02:34 AM

I've had it raw and fried, both times without knowing what it was or I wouldn't have eaten it. Not tasty enough to die.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

06-16-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
I've had it raw and fried, both times without knowing what it was or I wouldn't have eaten it. Not tasty enough to die.
Hahaha...alright, thanks, man Saved my life! I was actually thinking about trying it...Idk, seemed kinda interesting, but at the same time, I didn't want to risk my life over a piece-a over-priced fish...XD

Anyone else have any comments of suggestions? Does it taste similar to any other fish? Like tuna, salmon, or maybe even eel?

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

(#7 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2010, 04:37 AM

I have only had it deep fried, which for many people is about as tasty as you can make something, and I was not really impressed. I mean it tastes fine and all, actually it taste quite lean, but also very bland at the same time.

It was not all that expensive though.. so, maybe I was not eating the good stuff.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

06-16-2010, 05:11 AM

Fugu is the yummiest fish that exists, period. Otherwise, why would we spend a whole day's pay or more to eat it? However, if you are American and are used to eating robust-tasting food (such as sushi completely dipped in soy sauce, yuk), you might not be able to appreciate the subtle taste of fugu at all. If you are the kind of a fish lover who can tell blindfold over around ten kinds of fish apart, then you might actually enjoy fugu immensely.

BTW, in the course meal, what many fugu lovers (myself included) like the most is the rice porridge made from the left-over stock from the fugu pot that is served right before the porridge. Fugu meat and bones make excellent stock and rice cooked in it tastes just heavenly.

A typical fugu course looks like this:

Sashimi (called Fugusashi). Fresh fugu meat is nearly transparent.

Karaage (deep-fried). Fugu tastes sweetest when deep-fried.

Tecchiri (Fugu Pot). This is the main course though the pic is small.

Fugu-Zousui (Fugu Rice Porridge). This is the moment everyone has been waiting for. There's no fugu meat in it but just the superb stock from the Tecchiri and an egg.

Last edited by Sashimister : 06-16-2010 at 06:10 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

06-16-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
I have only had it deep fried, which for many people is about as tasty as you can make something, and I was not really impressed. I mean it tastes fine and all, actually it taste quite lean, but also very bland at the same time.

It was not all that expensive though.. so, maybe I was not eating the good stuff.
Lol...Yeah, I hear that the most expensive is the best. Hmm...a lean taste? Interesting...that sounds relative to what Sashimister was saying. Perhaps it's an aquired taste...? I like aquired tastes; I can usually aquire easily lol...but yeah. It sounds interesting. Maybe I should give it a try one of these days. I'll just have to make sure to save up! Lol! XD

Anybody else have their testimonies? XD

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-16-2010, 06:45 AM

I am pretty sure I can tell 10+ types of fish apart blindfolded. Being connected to 水産業 does that to you... But I still didn`t think fugu was worth the cost.
There is tasting good, and tasting good enough to pay incredible amounts of money for. Fugu may be good, but it does not fall into the second category for me. Maybe I`ve just never had the really good stuff, but it has always been good - but normal.

Something that does amaze me and seem very much worth the incredible cost - crab sashimi from a crab that has just been removed from the water. That has to be one of the most delicate and sublime flavors out there.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.