(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I like Aquarius way more than Pocari Sweat...
Checking the ingredients list, it does look like it`s better than it was. Now it only uses Sucralose. At one point, it used a mixture of Sucralose, Aspartame, and Acesulfame.

Still wouldn`t give it to a child though, as they have only done short term studies on the effects - and only on adults. It is known that the artificial sweeteners accumulate in brain tissue... But apparently they couldn`t find any negative effects over a 2 year study.

I would rather not take any risks with my brain or with the developing brain of a child.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

09-08-2010, 08:03 AM

Well I'm not a kid, and I don't have any kids as far as I know, so it's Aquarius all the way!

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#13 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2010, 08:27 AM

Hahaha, I'm glad I got a good warning. The explanation makes pretty good sense too! Sounds like you saved me from a hell of a morning

That's interesting about Aquarius... maybe I'll get pocari next time I'm in the mood.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

09-08-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Well I'm not a kid, and I don't have any kids as far as I know, so it's Aquarius all the way!
And I`ll keep avoiding it whenever possible. A 2 year study on it`s effects in the brain is not good enough to assure me that it won`t do something unpleasant to mine after 10 or 20 years.

But your brain is your brain. Do to it what you wish.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
dirtyroboto (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Just a tip. I metabolize very quickly, and if I drink sports drinks I can notice the difference within a few minutes, sometimes seconds.

Pocari is one of the better mixes, aquarius a close second. the powdered versions including top value are not good.

In the worst case I can drink a few mouthfuls of powdered mix and within seconds break into a sweat. It really goes in the mouth and straight out of my skin, My urine also shows a marked issue in dealing with the ingredients.

I would have an issue giving these drinks to a child undiluted as you may be putting undue stress on the internal organs to metabolize it.
I would suggest trying a 50% dilution with water to see if she likes that, and would not try to exceed 350ml per day.

Also you should see the case of the kids who drunk so much "sunny d" they turned yellow.
BBC News | WALES | Soft drink turned toddler 'yellow'

Last edited by dirtyroboto : 09-08-2010 at 03:30 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-08-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
DO NOT DO THIS.
If you do, be sure to tell everyone about the results afterward so they can laugh at you.

Pocari raises the speed of absorption and can slow the processing of alcohol. Drinking Pocari tends to make you hold onto the alcohol longer (longer hangover), and any remaining in your stomach will be quickly absorbed making things worse. It`s goal is to make you more hydrated, and will push you to hold onto stuff you probably want out after a long drinking session.

I imagine it is fine if you no longer have any alcohol in your system - but by that point, you`re probably not going to need to reduce a hangover.
I am not a doctor, but the hangover is the pain you feel after the numbing effects of the alcohol have worn off. Meaning the alcohol is out of your system (usually after a night's sleep).

But you are right, I would not drink it as a hangover prevention medicine, as you might wake up with alcohol still in your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
By the way - for children, avoid Aquarius at all costs. Aquarius is an artificially sweetened drink. It contains sweetener chemicals that are not safe for children (and probably not adults, really, which is why I will not drink it).

----------------
ETA; Pocari is supposedly a good way to "refresh" an alcohol "buzz" though. It`s the number one worst thing you can drink though if you`ve had too much to drink, even if that was hours ago. This is a big reason why you will see people offering *water* but never anything like Pocari.
That's interesting, as I always felt that Pocari tasted sweeter than Aquarius.

Any thoughts on Citric Amino that the young handsome golfer endorses? It doesn't taste as good as Pocari, but supposedly is better in terms of rehydration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyroboto View Post
Also you should see the case of the kids who drunk so much "sunny d" they turned yellow.
BBC News | WALES | Soft drink turned toddler 'yellow'
Just to be clear, Sunny D is not a sports drink, or even a Juice, but an orange colored soft drink.

Last edited by MMM : 09-08-2010 at 05:54 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Qayin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2010, 07:18 PM

I don't recommend your daughter to drink it. Pocari Sweat is sport drink so that means it contains mineral (electrolyte). For small kids, drinking this kind of drink is not good, you know, It's the same why you don't recommend pregnant women to drink mineral water. You don't like to see electrolyte level in this kind of sensitive people swinging. I think it's more harm than good.

(I don't read any research or know the ingredients of Pocari. I just guess from the information I see on this topic with my knowledge as a pharmacist. It may not be accurated)

Last edited by Qayin : 09-08-2010 at 07:20 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-08-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayin View Post
I don't recommend your daughter to drink it. Pocari Sweat is sport drink so that means it contains mineral (electrolyte). For small kids, drinking this kind of drink is not good, you know, It's the same why you don't recommend pregnant women to drink mineral water. You don't like to see electrolyte level in this kind of sensitive people swinging. I think it's more harm than good.

(I don't read any research or know the ingredients of Pocari. I just guess from the information I see on this topic with my knowledge as a pharmacist. It may not be accurated)
Aside from water, Pocari Sweat also contains electrolyte minerals such as, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium and Calcium. These electrolytes are lost by the body during perspiration. It is not enough to drink water alone because these electrolytes should be replenished to prevent spontaneous dehydration.

Welcome to Pocari Sweat Website

Why are these bad for children?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why are these bad for children?
Considering the way the OP phrased her question and mentioned her child won't drink water my concern is not so much that the drinks are "bad" for children if treated like a soda/juice/other beverage but that she may be hoping for a water substitute. In that regard, there is no decent replacement for water.

To my way of thinking, children have quite enough extra sugars, food additives, food colorings, etc. being introduced into their developing internal systems. The needless extra processing of waste in their kidneys should be reduced if possible. Why add another dose of chemicals from a source that is not essential? I'm not talking about a dehydrated child who is ill or playing active sports and sweating, just a three year old sitting around the house or out shopping with mom. Why more chemicals when there are other natural options?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

09-08-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not a doctor, but the hangover is the pain you feel after the numbing effects of the alcohol have worn off. Meaning the alcohol is out of your system (usually after a night's sleep).

But you are right, I would not drink it as a hangover prevention medicine, as you might wake up with alcohol still in your system.
Ethanol becomes ethanal in your body - the ethanal is what makes you feel like crap. Pocari makes it harder for your body to get rid of the ethanal as it tends to be distributed throughout the body more quickly. Water isn`t absorbed as quickly so while it doesn`t hydrate you as efficiently it washes the ethanal out of your system.

So basically the alcohol is still in your system. It`s just been changed into a form that makes you feel horrible and that you want to get rid of ASAP. Pocari isn`t a good choice for getting rid of anything.

Quote:
That's interesting, as I always felt that Pocari tasted sweeter than Aquarius.
Aquarius has changed their formula about 10 times in the past 5 years. Almost every time I look it`s different...

Quote:
Any thoughts on Citric Amino that the young handsome golfer endorses? It doesn't taste as good as Pocari, but supposedly is better in terms of rehydration.
I will be honest and say I don`t really know. I haven`t tried it and probably won`t as it`s expensive. I just find it a bit fascinating how incredibly hard it was for Pocari to make it on to the market because it tasted too medical and unpleasant (how it was described at the time in scathing customer reviews) but is now considered the sweeter one and other far more "medical" and bitter ones are fairly popular.

Quote:
Just to be clear, Sunny D is not a sports drink, or even a Juice, but an orange colored soft drink.
Actually, from reading the article it appears that the child turned orange because of a natural component of it... Sort of the same reason you get people stained orange from eating too many みかん in the winter in Japan.

Off topic, but I could never drink Sunny D when I was little because for some reason it gave me incredible circles under my eyes. Drink some and then an hour or so later it would look as if I had huge bruises under my eyes. A bit of a mystery.