JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-28-2007, 10:28 AM

I can't believe you guys... Here's a video. But If you can't get short-grain rice where you live, forget about rice balls.

(#32 (permalink))
Old
dragonflyheels (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to dragonflyheels Send a message via MSN to dragonflyheels
10-28-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
I can't believe you guys... Here's a video. But If you can't get short-grain rice where you live, forget about rice balls.

Pudding rice works the same! Plus Chinese supermarkets sell EVERYTHING... lol... hyperbolically of course.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
dragonflyheels (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to dragonflyheels Send a message via MSN to dragonflyheels
10-28-2007, 10:51 AM

I did everything she did there... lol... except I had to cook my rice in a sauce pan. Maybe she used less salt than me, and I used a bean filling [like to experiment with food] too... I can't stand mayonaise!
I'll just have to try again, you never know I might get it this time, but I'll go and get some rice from the Chinese supermarket [along with some lychee juice, pocky and sandwich cookies, yums =P] on Saturday rather than using pudding rice.
Thanks for the help everyone! =)
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

10-28-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyheels View Post
I wish it was that easy!
haha i honestly think that the harder or rather most annoying part is either washing the rice, or waiting for it to cook. the rest is easy. it's not like we are building a house or something to that level.

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#35 (permalink))
Old
dragonflyheels (Offline)
JF Regular

10-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
haha i honestly think that the harder or rather most annoying part is either washing the rice, or waiting for it to cook. the rest is easy. it's not like we are building a house or something to that level.

raverboy
What about dipping your hands in between each rice ball so you don't turn out as a rice-monster? It's annoying when the rice sticks to you not to other rice grains. Also cooking the rice to perfection, I have to cook mine on the hob, because I don't have a rice cooker. And guessing whether your rice tastes alright... I need my manners and it's not polite to gobble the food you're preparing!
You have to put quite a bit of effort into perfecting food. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and food freak and I have to say cooking seafood dishes is a lot easier than rice balls. [Used seafood as an example of a hard dish, because with no cooking instructions you have to guess when it's done based on trained site and the feel of it, whereas cooking things like chicken: if it's still bleeding and it's cold = not done] =P
Can I ask how much food you actually do cook as well? Assuming you're still rather young and go to school/college, I haven't looked at your profile. I'm the only one that prepares and cooks my meals, I won't let my mom/dad do it, so I get a lot of practice in [I'm 17 and go to college studying academic subjesct, not cooking or anything like that] lol. I guess we all have our own little things we find difficult in the kitchen as well.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

10-29-2007, 08:59 PM

like i said before, you're turning this little matter into something way out of proportion.

here's a suggestion because i won't want your hands to turn out looking like you just err..... you catch. next time, put a peice of saran wrap on the counter and place the rice in there, given you are making huge rice balls. use the saran wrap to surround the rice so it doesn't touch your hands and shape it into a ball. bing and you're done...

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#37 (permalink))
Old
dragonflyheels (Offline)
JF Regular

10-30-2007, 08:03 PM

No, I only make little ones... lol, I learnt from my huge ones not to make them that big, considering they don't fit in my lunch box. I'll just have to try again, but when I have time... too may essays to write at the moment.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Wyverian (Offline)
The Truly Insane One

Send a message via ICQ to Wyverian Send a message via AIM to Wyverian Send a message via MSN to Wyverian Send a message via Yahoo to Wyverian Send a message via Skype™ to Wyverian
11-14-2007, 06:08 PM

I have made some before... I don't think they turned out quite right. They tasted okay but nothing special then again as I said I don't think I made them right.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Suikazura (Offline)
New to JF

here is rice ball recipe - 11-23-2007, 05:22 PM

ONIGIRI MENU
(#40 (permalink))
Old
kuronekitochan (Offline)
Obbsesser of Japan

Send a message via AIM to kuronekitochan Send a message via MSN to kuronekitochan
12-02-2007, 07:06 AM

I usually use a rice cooker, the rice just comes out better, and when i form the balls i make sure my fingers are wet with salt water to prevent the rice from sticking to my hands, The ones I make aren't very artisticly beautiful but the rice gets packed well. I can't describe it well, sorry @_@

I want to be a strong one....
Raise Myself Up
And Breathe the Air of a Higher Place.