JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Food (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/)
-   -   Japanese Cooking and Recipes (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-food/4420-japanese-cooking-recipes.html)

cocoluvnihon 05-06-2007 03:56 AM

Japanese Cooking and Recipes

Hey, since I'm getting ready to go back home from college. I tend to get bored when I'm at home because there's nothing to do in the suburbs. So to cope with my boredom I want to cook some Japanese dinners for my family, and so my stepmom can stop complaining about her weight :p! Any receipes or ideas please private message or talk about it on the board thanks ! :ywave:

samokan 05-09-2007 03:02 AM

Ive tried making "Saba no Miso" or Mackerel with Miso

I changed the style a little bit for my own taste. But the 3 main ingredient is the one listed below.

Ingr. Mackerel, Miso, 1 teaspoon of vinegar, broth cube ( optional ), water

Mix water and vinegar and bring to boil ( the water will depend on your amount of fish , you can also increase the amount of vinegar )

Add Mackerel as soon as water starts boiling, boil for about 1 minute.

Mix miso and water and maybe broth cube ( i did not use broth cube )
Optional: I added a teaspoon of mirin and cooking wine.
Then put the boil mackerel and bring to boil in a medium heat for about a minute or 2. And then your done :D

Found this in a 5 min. cookbook , but as I said I change/add some more spicies :D :ywave:

Jefe 05-10-2007 08:45 PM

Simple Recipes

I'm looking for simple recipes that you can traditionally order in Japanese restaurants. Please keep the preparation time down to under an hour though, because school gives me little time to cook intricate meals. I need to increase my cooking skill by learning new recipes instead of just repeating old ones.

Much appreciated,
Jefe

EbonyVampiria 05-10-2007 11:45 PM

easiest thing to do, get some noodles, stock, chicken and a variety of vegetables and make raamen...very good and very tasty
stir fry chicken and the vegetables
cook noodles
make stock
put in bowl
eat

thats about it and good luck :-)

Jefe 05-11-2007 01:56 AM

Thanks, that sounds simple enough.. but what kind of noodles? (Ramen would be my guess, but I've never seen a package labeled as that in a store)

FFrikku 07-01-2007 06:31 PM

looking for recipies

im looking for yummy japanese snack and meals that i can make at home preferably not sashimi and sushi (i buy that at the store) but more like...things i can make without burning down my house. my mom's getting a little annoyed that all i eat is pocky and yan-yan.
also- any good school food ideas that wont spoil to quickly? i brown-bag to school

Sarahneco 07-02-2007 06:21 PM

1) Pocky is one of the best foods on earth. Tell your mother to RESPECT THE POCKY!! xD

2) Here's a good recipe for pork stir-fry--->

1/2 cup green onion, sliced
1/2 cup celery, diagonally sliced
2 cups pork roast, diced
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons oil
3 cups cooked rice, cold
1 cup water chestnuts, canned, sliced
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (or hot salt)
1 egg, slightly beaten
pinch of hot pepper flakes or cayenne, to taste
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce

Sauté onions, celery, and pork in oil until vegetables are tender crisp.
Add rice and water chestnuts. Combine pepper, salt, egg and soy sauce.

Stir into rice mixture. Cook, stirring 2 to 3 minutes or until heated.

....and sometimes I add 1-1 1/2 cup snap-peas. But that's just me. :D

As for good school foods, Sometimes I bring instant ramen to school in a thermas. It keeps it warm, but if your not careful, it'll pour on your lap when you open it...-_-"

I'll add more recipes, if you like :D Hope I helped.

FFrikku 07-02-2007 06:23 PM

yea, i bring ramen for lunch every day (it gets boring lol)
that sounds good. i like things not very salty, and i love meat, but i dont eat poultry (dont ask lmao)
im gonna try that

Sarahneco 07-02-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FFrikku (Post 167079)
yea, i bring ramen for lunch every day (it gets boring lol)
that sounds good. i like things not very salty, and i love meat, but i dont eat poultry (dont ask lmao)
im gonna try that

Hope you like it. :vsign: I knew a girl last year that told me that talking to your boiling ramen water makes it cook faster. I tried reading to it.

Mission: failed :D

FFrikku 07-03-2007 08:52 PM

i boil water and cook the noodles from the package (instant ramen; nice and cheap!) for about 8 minutes, then drain the water and pack it into a thermos so it stays warm till lunch. my friend's dad owns a japanese resturant, so she gets to bring sushi but she eats it all and usually has something i dont like. she did bring onigiri one day! oishii desu!!

xNatsuki 07-04-2007 11:53 PM

I came across this website in a magazine called ShojoBeat.
Cooking Cute~ I believe it's main focus is on bento, but I find it very useful too.

xNatsuki 07-05-2007 12:17 AM

This website was also mentioned in another thread, but here it is again.
Cooking Cute~ It's mostly small portion-ized because it's more for bento.

Maku 07-05-2007 12:23 AM

That site gives you that recipe for Spam sushi doesn't it?

Maku 07-05-2007 12:27 AM

Onigiri.
Requires a mould though, but it's worth it.
Despite it being such a simple idea, it needs more attention when cooking than it seems.

Akimizumi 07-05-2007 04:32 AM

actually you dont really need a mold... (click: make onigiri without mold) hehe.. it was the fastest i could find...also there is a cookbook on wikipedia on japanese food.. doesn't have too many dishes though

Maku 07-05-2007 05:06 AM

Thanks for showing me that.

Nyororin 07-05-2007 06:21 AM

Using a mold is the weird way to do it. I don`t know anyone who actually uses a mold to make their onigiri. You just wet your hands and ball them up.

FFrikku 07-07-2007 12:23 AM

._. spam...sushi....BARF! *gags* oh gosh, im sorry but i hate spam ._.

Housetek 07-07-2007 01:08 AM

can u make rice?

basicly its just your favorite meats and or veggies covered in rice.

then wrapped in Banana leaves.

theres also desert kinds with nuts and bananas and stuff

jus look it up online

my mom use to make me them to bring to school.

also verrrry verry good=)

Onigiri

For 4 fair sized rice balls, you need:

* 4 cups of freshly cooked Japanese-style rice (sorry, I wrongly stated 2 cups of rice here before. Each onigiri requires about a cup of cooked rice.)
* 2 sheets of nori seaweed, cut into 3cm/2 inch wide strips
* Salt
* Fillings. Some classic fillings are pickled plum (umeboshi), bonito flakes just moistened with soy sauce (okaka), bonito flakes mixed with pickled plum (umekaka), flaked cooked salted salmon (shake or shiozake), cooked salty cod roe (tarako), chopped up pickles (tsukemono), and tsukudani, various tidbits - bonito cubes, tiny clams, etc. - cooked and preserved in a strong soy-sugar-sauce. Some non-traditional fillings that work well are described below.

The key to making good onigiri is to have freshly cooked, hot rice. You can't make good onigiri with cold rice.

Wet your impeccably clean hands with cold water, and sprinkle them with salt. Take 1/4th of the rice and place on one hand. Make a dent in the middle of the rice with your other hand. Put in about 1 tsp or so worth of filling in the dent.

Working rapidly, wrap the rice around the filling, and form into a ball. To make the traditional triangular shape, cup your hand sharply to form each corner, and keep turning it until you are happy with the shape. Practive makes perfect.

Wrap the rice ball with 1-2 strips of nori seaweed.

Repeat for the rest of the rice.

The key to making good onigiri is to have freshly cooked, hot rice. You can't make good onigiri with cold rice.

Wet your impeccably clean hands with cold water, and sprinkle them with salt. Take 1/4th of the rice and place on one hand. Make a dent in the middle of the rice with your other hand. Put in about 1 tsp or so worth of filling in the dent.

Working rapidly, wrap the rice around the filling, and form into a ball. To make the traditional triangular shape, cup your hand sharply to form each corner, and keep turning it until you are happy with the shape. Practive makes perfect.

Wrap the rice ball with 1-2 strips of nori seaweed.

Repeat for the rest of the rice.

To bring along on picnic, wrap in plastic film or in a bamboo leaf (which is traditional). Some people prefer to carry the nori strips separately, and to wrap them around the onigiri when eating, to preserve the crisp texture of the seaweed.

If it's hard to get a hold of the traditional fillings, here are some non-traditional ones that I have tried that work well. However, unlike the more traditional fillings (especially umeboshi) these fillings are quite perishable, so be careful in hot weather if you are taking them for a picnic. Any rather strongly flavored, salty filling should work.

* Ground meat (pork or beef or a mixture), cooked with grated or chopped ginger, then flavored with soy sauce, some red pepper flakes, sake or mirin, and sugar. It should be quite dry. Curry flavored ground meat mixture works surprisingly well too.
* Canned tuna, well drained and flaked, flavored with a bit of soy sauce and/or salt to taste.
* Flaked corned beef
* Chopped up western style pickles (as long as they don't have too much garlic in the brine), well squeezed to get rid of excessive moisture

xNatsuki 07-11-2007 04:04 AM

I'd like to say that for beginners, it's best to make the kind of onigiri that is wrapped completely. I just cut it into a square a little bit bigger than 2 times the onigiri size. Then I wrap it on both sides and fold down the corners. Practice makes perfect though!!

FFrikku 07-15-2007 07:02 PM

arigato! i have been looking for an onigiri recipie!

PingPong 07-17-2007 08:58 PM

Your favorite Japan Recipe

hey Gusy,

do you have a Favorite Recipe from japan?

:ywave:

pixuli 07-17-2007 11:57 PM

favorite recipe... I don't know many recipes. I enjoy baking more than cooking XD But I usually do sushi, tempura or curry if I have time~

Ramen is good but it's hard to do all by yourself and takes a lot of time ´o`
So I buy instant ramen from store or eat it in restaurant~

Neikiyo 07-18-2007 03:18 PM

Nira Tama. That stuff pwns all.:vsign:

rosaline144 07-18-2007 06:12 PM

Chicken-Katsu with Tonkatsu Sauce [Sugar, Worchester Sauce, Soy Sauce, Ketchup] .. very simple and tasty ^__^

DarkraiShadowforce 07-20-2007 12:28 AM

:D Don't know the ingredients but..

I like the Chicken Teriyaki the most w/ young corn and sticky rice.Then Pork Teriyaki.

ChickenKatsu and other katsu like Pork Tonkatsu plus Kikkoman sauce taste good.Pawns lol

strawberritheEGLwaffo 07-24-2007 06:15 AM

Bento Recipes!

Hi, this is my first thread! I was just wondering how many of you do bento boxed lunches? I do, I recently got into doing them and thought if anybody had good "complete" bento recipes. As in, a whole bento, not just one dish good for putting in a bento. I will post some pics of my recipes soon!

Bento help links:
BentoTV

Thanks for listening! ^_^

kuromiXpink 07-24-2007 10:12 PM

mmm...
my frd made a chicken donburi for me once and it was great...
and i wanna try "...katsu" all the different kinds chicken, pork etc.
and of course no doubt on sushi *my number one love XD

Godzilla4ever 07-25-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNatsuki (Post 175629)
I'd like to say that for beginners, it's best to make the kind of onigiri that is wrapped completely. I just cut it into a square a little bit bigger than 2 times the onigiri size. Then I wrap it on both sides and fold down the corners. Practice makes perfect though!!

Thats the Same thing I did when I started cooking Japanese Dishes I have a Japanese Friend And He told me to start out with Easy Dishes Like Onigiri, Chicken Dumplings And grilled catfish with hoisin Peanut sauce. Ugh I started cooking Food when I was 6 lol

Godzilla4ever 07-25-2007 12:51 PM

Need Delicious Recipes

It been about 2 months since I started cooking japanese Dishes And im looking for tasty recipes

totalSMfan 07-27-2007 12:31 AM

I have a recipe for Kyotofu's mini green tea chocolate cakes if you're interested.

masaegu 07-27-2007 02:52 PM

Before anyone can answer you, they would need to know if you can actually obtain near you many items of Japanese food that are suitable for bento. Meanwhile, enjoy this amazing bento site by a Japanese woman. Bento* 弁当

Tolbarizhei 07-27-2007 03:13 PM

wiii.. i love going to some sushi restaurants and grabbing the bento box to go. so convenient.. yummy too!!!

kurishi 07-27-2007 03:53 PM

Well i love to put in my bento box (it's been a long time since i don't use it)

chicken dumplings with stir-fried broccoli,onigiri w/ sweet egg flavor and tamago

mmmm!!! i'm hungry now!!!! v.v

pixuli 07-27-2007 08:09 PM

bento is good! I like to make artistic bento with small cute things (like star chaped carrots and so on). I like to use lot of time preparing bento. Unfortunately, in Finland there isn't many bento accessories, but using some imagination there is plenty of food that can be used as accessories ^_^

I usually put onigiri, sushi, rice, meat, fruits, vegetables and egg in bento. And I take 2 different sauces with me. Tought it all matters what kinda feeling I have and what shaped lunchbox I will use (or am I in a diet like now. Then I dont take food with me at all, I only eat in the morning).

kurishi 07-29-2007 02:29 AM

*_* star shaped carrots? that would be so cute i wouldn't eat it xD

SakeinmyOchoko 07-29-2007 09:31 PM

Heres another link worth a look. Check out the links on there too.

Bento Box!

BTW, I have this strange feeling that the owner of that sight might possibly be a "Sailor Moon" fan. Hmmmmm.....:p

El2IN 08-04-2007 11:03 PM

Japanese Recipes?

Heh. I was wondering if anyone could tell me some good Japanese recipes. Simple ones though, because I can't cook. :(

:pinkbow:Thanks in advance. :pinkbow:

xYinniex 08-05-2007 12:39 AM

My Lunch Can Beat Up Your Lunch!

recipes for bento.

Laine 08-05-2007 07:27 AM

Okonomiyaki
^ You can also replace the flour with rice, but then it can be referred to as okomeyaki instead... whatever, basically the same taste. That site also has some other simple recipes.