Seems so.....

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#322 (permalink))
Old
zeke797 (Offline)
Ruler of FIRE!

08-14-2007, 09:53 AM

Some people are that gullible I guess. XD

Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry. This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man. -William Shakespeare
As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods;They kill us for their sport. - William Shakespeare
Who Dares Wins - British Special Air Service

(#323 (permalink))
Old
HIalchemist (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Haaaa! Aha!....whew.Dumb question.

(#324 (permalink))
Old
Morlana (Offline)
New to JF

08-19-2007, 12:02 AM

I went to Mitsuwa for the first time and they actually have ramen packs with the meat in them in the cold section (where you can get the fruits/vegetables and pickled daicon radish). The noodles looked precooked, I bet that would be great instead of the hard brick you have to boil. Also here in NYC they just opened up 2 ramen restaurants. I can't wait to try them out.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
(#325 (permalink))
Old
waterlilly (Offline)
New to JF

10-10-2007, 05:05 PM

If you're ever in NYC try the following places:

Sushi Yasuda- you can get fugu here. $$$$
Japonica- $$$$
Kanoyama- $$$
and if you're on a tight budget Sharaku is good -$$

These places sell authentic japanese food, Yasuda, Japonica and Kanoyama all focus on sushi, while Sharaku has much more variety (though their sushi isn't quite as good). Yasua will cost you around $200 per person, but its the best sushi in NYC and you'd be hard pressed to find better unless you make a trip to Japan. Japonica is also pricey, their selection is somewhat limited but the quality of the fish is heavenly. Kanoyama has a lot of seasonal fish imported from Japan- it's my favorite neighborhood joint!
(#326 (permalink))
Old
waterlilly (Offline)
New to JF

Talking 10-10-2007, 05:21 PM

I have a theory on why most Americans don't like fish and are closed minded about trying sushi. It's very hard to find fresh fish in most parts of America, if you do it's very expensive. Unless you live in a coastal city, chances are the closed thing to "seafood" you've ever eaten is breaded fish sticks and canned tuna fish- neither of which are very good and both have that "stale" fish taste. This is most of America's idea of fish, and it makes them closed minded to trying sushi. In other words, bad experiences with stale fish mean they don't know what fresh fish should taste like. Intead of taking the leap of faith and tasting some fresh sushi, most will say "no thanks, I don't like fish".

While I have never been to Japan, I understand that fresh fish is the daily staple and food hygiene is excellent. People have great experiences with fish and sushi in japan because its almost always fresh and available. It's just not like this in the states, our staple is chicken and beef. the USA is huge, the vast majority of the land does not border the ocean, transporting fresh fish inland takes time and when the fish arrives at the supermarket it's been sitting on a truck for a week.

I doubt its an issue with something being raw, more than enough people in the USA love rare steak and steak tartare. There's plenty of people who like soft-boiled eggs and fried eggs with raw yolks.

Luckily, my mom broke me into sushi at an early age and I've been an addict ever since.

Last edited by waterlilly : 10-10-2007 at 05:24 PM.
(#327 (permalink))
Old
NickVelvet (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to NickVelvet
10-10-2007, 05:34 PM

I know that where I live (So. California) Sushi is huge. There are sushi restaruants all over the place, one of the more popular ones is owned by David Silveria the drummer of the band Korn (although hes currently takeing a break) I am not much of a fish eater but when I do eat it, its usually sushi.

Also being a fisherman there is nothing fresher than hooking up a Yellowtail, Albacore or yellowfin tuna, bringing it on the boat and having the cook slice it up right there on the spot with a little wasabi. Even when I get home and vacuum sealing my fish I always take a small filet and slice it up.
(#328 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

10-10-2007, 05:39 PM

haha i'm lucky in that i live in hawaii and we are surrounded by the ocean. fresh fish is something that comes to us naturally. as for me personally i'm tried of maguro and samlon. they are too common. i even hate the california roll. booooooooooooring.

if you're looking for something different, try some hamachi (yellow fin tuna) or some ikura (salmon eggs). those are very good.

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#329 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

10-10-2007, 05:41 PM

one thing, if there isn't a sushi bar at a sushi restaurant then it's bullshit.

secondly, if you are looking for something more authentic try some izakaya style restaurants. most of the places that are here in hawaii are a sit down style with tatami mats and all.

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#330 (permalink))
Old
waterlilly (Offline)
New to JF

10-10-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVelvet View Post
I know that where I live (So. California) Sushi is huge. There are sushi restaruants all over the place, one of the more popular ones is owned by David Silveria the drummer of the band Korn (although hes currently takeing a break) I am not much of a fish eater but when I do eat it, its usually sushi.

Also being a fisherman there is nothing fresher than hooking up a Yellowtail, Albacore or yellowfin tuna, bringing it on the boat and having the cook slice it up right there on the spot with a little wasabi. Even when I get home and vacuum sealing my fish I always take a small filet and slice it up.
Its big in New York City too (where I live). But when you start to head inland it changes. I lived in Rochester, New York for a few years it was impossible to get good fresh fish and good sushi.