JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Dasutin (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Dasutin
What's different - 12-28-2007, 05:54 AM

I'm really new to learning Japanese and I was wondering what's the difference between Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-28-2007, 06:15 AM

Kanji: These are pretty much the Chinese characters. A character can represent a word, like the kanji character 光 (Hikari) means light.

Hiragana: This is the Japanese alphabet. Hiragana is pretty much used for words that don't have a kanji character. Hiragana is also only used for Japanese words. Let's say you knew the word for "light" was "hikari", but didn't know the kanji. It would be written in Hiragana as ひかり.

Katakana: This alphabet is pretty much used for sounds and words foreign to Japanese. Like my name is Wendy, but since it's not a native Japanese, it would be written Uendei in Katakana as ウエンデイ as opposed to うえんでい (Hiragana).

Edit: That's the best as I can explain it. Maybe someone else can do a better job.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 12-28-2007 at 06:28 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
12-28-2007, 07:33 AM

Think of Kanji and Hiragana as regular "box" (or print) letters in English, and Katakana are Italics. We use italics to show that the word is forgeign to the English language.

Kanji can be read either by meaning or by sound. This gets kind of confusing, but you won't need to worry about Kanji for some time now if you're just starting.

Hiragana is the one you want to learn first. It (and Katakana) are both phonetic--each symbol represents a sound. More accurately, they're syllabic, as each symbol is a full syllable (or mora in Japanese, if I recall correctly).

On the other hand, if you're planning to travel to Japan sometime very soon, I'd recommend you learn Katakana first--I've read that Katakana is the survival tool for any Western gaijin in Japan that can't speak the language due to its being used on restaurant menus and the like.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Dasutin (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Dasutin
12-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Thank you so much for your help and someone told me about japanese.about.com earlier and I already learned ten hiragana. YAY ~<3