JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kiyoshisensei (Offline)
The Hamster Shinobi King

Kanji ( p.s. HAPPY NEW YEAR!:] ) - 01-02-2008, 10:46 PM

Konnichiha

I'm interested in learning Kanji to the fullest!

So if you know of a good Kanji site with like the whole kanji alphabet, that would be awesome.

Domo
ki'sensei

GAI-SENSEI: "HOY LEE... HASE!!!"
ROCK LEE: -TAKES PANTS OFF!!!-
GAI-SENSEI: "NO LEE... THE WIEGHTS. I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE WEIGHTS, LEE." -SIGH-
ROCK LEE: "HAI, GAI-SENSEI!!!"
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
01-03-2008, 01:05 AM

Well, first, you have not think of Kanji as an alphabet, 'cause it isn't.

If you can read kana, then this site should be helpful:

Drill and learn the Japanese kanji, learn Japanese

Good luck!

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sakurako (Offline)
New to JF

01-03-2008, 02:18 AM

If you know Chinese, Kanji is not difficult. Most Japanese Kanji is the same meaning with Chinese.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

01-03-2008, 04:52 AM

as i always say to kanji threads, don't just drill on a computer or with flash cards. practice writing them and really learn them. it is no good saying i know 1000 or 500 or even 100 kanji if you can only write a couple of the basic ones. if you use the language in life there will be times you need to write and you are not going to know how to write many. if you want to learn them, drill the writing of them in compounds (2 or more kanji together)
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kiyoshisensei (Offline)
The Hamster Shinobi King

01-03-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
Well, first, you have not think of Kanji as an alphabet, 'cause it isn't.

If you can read kana, then this site should be helpful:

Drill and learn the Japanese kanji, learn Japanese

Good luck!
not an alphabet, why you say that?
thanks, i found the link very helpful
happy new year
ki'sensei

GAI-SENSEI: "HOY LEE... HASE!!!"
ROCK LEE: -TAKES PANTS OFF!!!-
GAI-SENSEI: "NO LEE... THE WIEGHTS. I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE WEIGHTS, LEE." -SIGH-
ROCK LEE: "HAI, GAI-SENSEI!!!"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

01-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyoshisensei View Post
not an alphabet, why you say that?
thanks, i found the link very helpful
happy new year
ki'sensei
each character has a meaning of it's own, unlike an alphabet. to be more specific they are ideograms, here is the meaning of the word:

ideogram |ˈɪdɪə(ʊ)gram| |ˈʌɪd-|
noun
a written character symbolizing the idea of a thing without indicating the sounds used to say it, e.g., numerals and Chinese characters.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-03-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
as i always say to kanji threads, don't just drill on a computer or with flash cards. practice writing them and really learn them. it is no good saying i know 1000 or 500 or even 100 kanji if you can only write a couple of the basic ones. if you use the language in life there will be times you need to write and you are not going to know how to write many. if you want to learn them, drill the writing of them in compounds (2 or more kanji together)
But with the computer, they only show you the Kanji and its meaning. It's not often you come across something with proper writing direction.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

01-03-2008, 10:34 AM

give me any character and i can write it correctly i would believe. this is because there is an order to how writing the characters words. once you get used to it you can look at any new character and know the order. there are indeed resources on the internet for learning stroke order. perhaps not for every kanji but the general rules that are followed.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
01-03-2008, 11:19 PM

This website shows you not only stroke order, but direction, as well:

http://www.yamasa.cc/members/ocjs/ka...anji3!OpenForm

It also gives kun and on readings, english meanings, grade number, jouyou number, etc below images of a box style (what you'd see on the computer), an animated brush style (if you were doing calligraphy), and pen style (every day writing with a typical implement).

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-04-2008, 09:30 AM

That's pretty cool. I can't wait to get into that...but by the looks of it, I still need to work on my sentences. lol

I guess it's true about how it's more difficult to learn a new language when older as opposed to younger.