(#11 (permalink))
Old
jpdrag0n (Offline)
日本頑張れ!

01-29-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineBled View Post
nope. lol I pronounced it correctly. It also depends on the dialect
depends on the dialect? ive never heard "kawaii" pronounced any other way than just the regular way that MMM pointed out. in okayama and tokyo it was pronounced the same...and these places are very different in terms of dialect...and im japanese so i think i would know.

そんな関係ねぇ!

HERO OF JAPAN
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2008, 09:53 PM

Make sure you guys don't say "kowaii" which sounds like "kowai." It means scary.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#13 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

01-30-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It is pronounced the same in any dialect...

(With an American accent):

Ka (as in the first syllable of "cotton")

wa (as in the first syllable of "Washington")

ii (as in the first syllable of "east" but extended to twice as long.)

KAWAII has four syllables in Japanese: Ka-Wa-I-I. Each should be spoken for the same length of time.
I have to say, the american accent must be profoundly different in pronunciation of the word cotton to an australian accent. the way you have sounded it out using english words sounds much more like 怖い rather than 可愛い. I know you would pronounce it correctly MMM but we pronounce cotton in australian accent like コットン so very different sound. thought that was interesting.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-30-2008, 03:33 AM

1) I doesn't rhyme with "Hawaii"

2) I understand that "cotton" is pronounced different ways in different parts of the world. That's why I said "American accent". There are many dialects even in American, but the basic, newscaster dialect pronunciation is correct.

Proving that explaining pronunciation over the internet is very difficult.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-30-2008, 03:38 AM

Still odd that you chose cotton, MMM. For someone unfamiliar with Japanese pronunciations, I'd still use "Hawaii" as an example, and point out that you have to extend the "ii" part of it. Seems that'd be a closer similarity than the "co" in cotton for "ka".
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-30-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Still odd that you chose cotton, MMM. For someone unfamiliar with Japanese pronunciations, I'd still use "Hawaii" as an example, and point out that you have to extend the "ii" part of it. Seems that'd be a closer similarity than the "co" in cotton for "ka".
The problem with that is that the emphasis in Hawaii is on the "wa" and it is a 3 syllable word in English.

Depending on who you are talking to, there is no stress in the 4-syllable Kawaii or it's on the last two syllables "ii". If you take "Hawaii" and replace the H with a K you will more than likely sound like you are saying "kowai" which, as mentioned before, means quite the opposite of "kawaii".
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
01-30-2008, 04:03 AM

Hawai'i actually has a stop between the two i's, so you're all technically wrong . Well, MMM had the best explantion :P .

/ka wa i i/ (IPA, spaces between syllables)

I'll try to approximate the sounds with the standard alphabet, but remember that I speak western American English.

kah-wah-ee-ee

For OP, just remember that vowels are kept pretty short (kinda clipped, really), so don't spend a lot of time on the 'ah' part of those sounds. Also, there should be no real emphasis on any one syllable--that'll come in by itself.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
kuronekoaus (Offline)
Resident Rockstar

01-30-2008, 09:39 AM

Lol maybe the user who created this thread should speak to a Japanese teacher/ student in person. You can't really imitate sounds you can't hear...

Too cool for a yellow emoticon

(#19 (permalink))
Old
DannysGhostGirl (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2008, 06:58 PM

Yeah, you've got a point. Only problem is, I don't know any Japanese people/teachers.........
(#20 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The problem with that is that the emphasis in Hawaii is on the "wa" and it is a 3 syllable word in English.

Depending on who you are talking to, there is no stress in the 4-syllable Kawaii or it's on the last two syllables "ii". If you take "Hawaii" and replace the H with a K you will more than likely sound like you are saying "kowai" which, as mentioned before, means quite the opposite of "kawaii".
I was actually just referring to "ha" and "ka", for the most part.