JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
danboodro (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to danboodro Send a message via MSN to danboodro
Need Help Interpreting Japanese to English - 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, just joined today!

Basically, I joined for one main reason, but I'm sure I'll stick around for a while, I'm a bit of a forum junkie.

Anyways on to my request. I am a part of a small team of programmers, artists, and we're working on translating a Japanese released game for the PS2 to an English release. The main programmer has already gone through and reverse engineered the game and we have gotten to the data files that contain the Japanese dialog. We just need some help understanding it and translating it now. Most of it is in simple dialog, just as I am talking to you, so there shouldn't be anything to hard to understand.

If you are up to the task or interpreting and translating all of this you can download the .txt files from the links below. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There's quite a bit of text, so just do what you can.

HACK_01LIST.TXT
GCMNFLIST.TXT

Thank you to anyone who has downloaded the files and taken a look at them. Very much appreciated.

-DanBoodro-
(#2 (permalink))
Old
danboodro (Offline)
New to JF

04-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Ooops!!! So very sorry. I didn't know the links wouldn't work for you guys. Let me upload them somewhere else. Here's fixed links below.

http://www.macanu.com/HACK_01LIST.TXT
http://www.macanu.com/GCMNFLIST.TXT

Pleeeeeeaaaaaase help me. We really wanna release this game.

-DanBoodro-
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Are you meaning...for free?

Those lists would take days, if not weeks to translate, and the phrases are so fractured, without "being on the team" and seeing the phrases used in context, you are going to get a "All your base belong to us" translation.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
danboodro (Offline)
New to JF

04-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Are you meaning...for free?

Those lists would take days, if not weeks to translate, and the phrases are so fractured, without "being on the team" and seeing the phrases used in context, you are going to get a "All your base belong to us" translation.
That's kinda what I figured...damn. I translated it through Google, but that didn't help much. And yea I know there's a lot. Hmmm...the only way a person would really understand the actual context would be to go and play the entire game all the way through...grrr.

Well, the game is .hack//fragment for PS2, Japanese release only. So if anyone out there has it and knows Japanese well enough to help translate it, let me know. Might be going out on a limb asking for that, but it's worth a shot.

-DanBoodro-
(#5 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
04-10-2008, 11:38 PM

Oh man, I love .hack!! I have the first 4 games for PS2. If I had the game you're doing, I'd totally give the translating a try Your text files are all random characters for some reason, so I can't read them either... So you're on a team of legit PS2 programmers? You should let me in your group to translate for you especially since I'm a programmer too :-Þ Anyway, good luck releasing it 'cause I wanna play it!

Last edited by filiadragongurl : 04-10-2008 at 11:41 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
danboodro (Offline)
New to JF

04-10-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadragongurl View Post
Oh man, I love .hack!! I have the first 4 games for PS2. If I had the game you're doing, I'd totally give the translating a try Your text files are all random characters for some reason, so I can't read them either... So you're on a team of legit PS2 programmers? You should let me in your group to translate for you especially since I'm a programmer too :-Þ Anyway, good luck releasing it 'cause I wanna play it!
Not official PS2 programmers, but experienced. You can check us out here :The World and we have a YouTube video posted to show what we have translated so far here : YouTube - .hack//FRAGMENT Localization Project

-DanBoodro-
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Japan Extraordinaire

04-10-2008, 11:50 PM

Just curious... are you trying to make a disk that will play on a PS2 or make something that will play on an emulator? Who are you "releasing" to? Is there any way I could get the game w/ the Japanese dialog to help translate?

Your youtube video is just trying to connect to load forever... I don't think it's going to work^_^; And I'm not sure what your website does for me either. Sorry to be troublesome!

Update: I got the youtube video to work from the link on the website. The look of the servers and everything looks exactly the same and from what I saw of the Japanese in that video, it's probably exactly the same as the first 4 volumes of .hack I have. The only thing that looked different at all was the design of the main char and the main char's friends, but even the other char shown in the video has the same name! Is the story line different too? I sure hope so^_^;

Last edited by filiadragongurl : 04-11-2008 at 12:23 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-10-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Your text files are all random characters for some reason, so I can't read them either...
Go to VIEW == ENCODING and make sure your webpage is set to Japanese.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Japan Extraordinaire

04-11-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Go to VIEW == ENCODING and make sure your webpage is set to Japanese.
hmm... if I open that text file in a webpage it freezes if I right-click to change the encoding... if I download it I can't find a place to change the encoding in Notepad or Wordpad. Thanks for trying to help though!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-11-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
hmm... if I open that text file in a webpage it freezes if I right-click to change the encoding... if I download it I can't find a place to change the encoding in Notepad or Wordpad. Thanks for trying to help though!
If it's a .txt, you can view it in your browser. Just browse to it from your address bar.

It might be because of the file size. Wait for it to load.

I
沖縄           My blog

Last edited by Harold : 04-11-2008 at 12:40 AM.