LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
manners (Offline)
JF Regular

07-28-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Actually I think a program is good as refreshing something or studying new grammar. For the rest turn off the computer and use pen and paper. Have a page of newspaper or something written in Japanese, a dictionary, paper and pen and start working.
Typing won't bring you far at all in studying.
Good points.

But try writing e-mail in Japanese and see how easy it can be because you don't have to remember the stroke order of Kanji. My Japanese benefited from e-mail communication as I could contextually remember the kanji to use without sluggin away trying to remember strokes.

A lot of Japanese themselves tend to forget some kanji too.

Have a nice day
My Japan Blog Do your own research because this is not advice.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
PouncingAnt (Offline)
JF Regular

07-28-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Actually I think a program is good as refreshing something or studying new grammar. For the rest turn off the computer and use pen and paper. Have a page of newspaper or something written in Japanese, a dictionary, paper and pen and start working.
Typing won't bring you far at all in studying.
I somewhat disagree! Typing pretty much got me to the level I'm at today.

I spent 2 years between high school and coming to Japan where I had no Japanese lessons. My primary method of learning Japanese in this time being instant messaging with Japanese people on the internet.

In terms of learning new vocabulary, I must have learned at least as many words each year by emailing and chatting on MSN with my Japanese friends than a year studying at high school!

Sure, you don't write the characters down, and even forget to write some, but you learn to recognise them, and I very rarely find myself in the position (even having spent a year in Japan now) where I need to write in Japanese anyway.

That aside, I think for bridging the gap from upper beginner/lower intermediate to upper intermediate, its darn hard to find any replacement for email/instant messaging, since it can keep you in contact with Japanese people for most of the day, if needs be.

Used in conjunction with a tinsy bit of writing (a short journal entry each week, maybe) and you've got yourself as much practice as you need.

You can also check out Japanese lessons on my site
(#43 (permalink))
Old
kaizoku (Offline)
New to JF

07-28-2008, 02:13 PM

sHOT!!!!!

i started my Japanese classes on Saterday and i already can read and write hiragana, it amazing although i have been remembering lots of stuff from anime and JDrama, if i learn a new word i would write it in hiragana,katakana and kanji.
The language is amazing especially when your Sensei is a Japanese.
Kanji is the best, the history behind how it came to be, it keeps me going.

I would like to improve my skills, so im always up for a chat or whatever.
PM me or email me anarchyape@gmail.com

Peace out

なにお わかりません
(#44 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manners View Post
Good points.

But try writing e-mail in Japanese and see how easy it can be because you don't have to remember the stroke order of Kanji. My Japanese benefited from e-mail communication as I could contextually remember the kanji to use without sluggin away trying to remember strokes.

A lot of Japanese themselves tend to forget some kanji too.
I do use emails, or better NJstar WP, which basically does everything for you if you want (even write out the whole conjugation of every verb).
I have exercises that I email to a Japanese teacher who corrects them. But before compiling the WP sheet, I write the whole exercise on a sheet of paper and then I will redo it (I won't simply copy it) on the WP.
It is not that hard to remember the strokes and even if I get one or two wrong it is not the end of the world.

Of course we are all different and what works for me might not work for you. I am old and my generation got used to pen and paper and we use it alot, newer generation might find more useful a computer
(#45 (permalink))
Old
sutocorporation (Offline)
New to JF

hi - 07-28-2008, 05:19 PM

yeah it is right

(#46 (permalink))
Old
KudoSan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2008, 05:51 PM

日本語を学んでいます、これは僕の一年です、でも、日 本語が学なたのがいい。

僕のメルアドレソはcrunchybarboy@yahoo.co.jpです。

I am learning Japanese, this is my first year, but, I need to study more. -_-

My email address is crunchybarboy@yahoo.co.jp.

(#47 (permalink))
Old
manners (Offline)
JF Regular

07-30-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
I do use emails, or better NJstar WP, which basically does everything for you if you want (even write out the whole conjugation of every verb).
I have exercises that I email to a Japanese teacher who corrects them. But before compiling the WP sheet, I write the whole exercise on a sheet of paper and then I will redo it (I won't simply copy it) on the WP.
It is not that hard to remember the strokes and even if I get one or two wrong it is not the end of the world.

Of course we are all different and what works for me might not work for you. I am old and my generation got used to pen and paper and we use it alot, newer generation might find more useful a computer
Good stuff and keep up the learning.
Cheers...

Have a nice day
My Japan Blog Do your own research because this is not advice.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
rakashael (Offline)
New to JF

hi - 08-04-2008, 04:59 AM

I was looking around online the other day and found a free kanji dictionary online. The website is saiga-jp.com, it appears to be a site for Nic-knacks but at the left side there is a link to the dictionary. It is very useful and I use it all the time.

Sicerely,
Raka

Miserability is a figment imagination. Pain is the whole concept of our minds because it makes us question it's reality.

~Rakashael
(#49 (permalink))
Old
JaggedLittlePill (Offline)
New to JF

08-10-2008, 12:56 PM

i think that its a nice offer

but i prefer to teach myself japanese because when i learn from other people they arnt always correct