JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ivo (Offline)
New to JF

Electronic dictionary -where to buy it? - 05-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Hello everyone,

I am more or less a new member to this forum and I am hoping to get help from you.

Where would you buy a good English-Japanese electronic dictionary? (I have in mind those calculator-type looking electronic dictionaries). Should I buy them in the U.S. or in Japan?
How much should I expect to pay for a decent one?
What functions should it have?
Could you recommend a certain type or a brand?

I've been studying Japanese in a very serious fashion for 1 year now and I am going to do a home stay/language program to Hokkaido this summer. I know that there exists a huge array of these electronic dictionaries in Japan but I am not sure if they are totally suitable for non-Japanese. Your thoughts? Otherwise, I'll have about 1-2 days in Tokyo to look around and buy one. Any suggestions where to go?

Thank you for your all input in advance,

ivo
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-25-2008, 09:22 PM

Most electronic dictionaries are meant for Japanese people, but there are ones that are suitable for intermediate learners of Japanese as well. I'm a big fan of the Canon WordTank G55 - it comes with an english manual and the interface on it can be switched to English as well, making it good for English-speakers who are learning Japanese. I'm not sure if I would recommend it to beginners, however.

They usually run from $230-$260 or so. You can order it online (just search google for retailers) or you can pick it up in Japan.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Mine was about ¥30,000, but it came with a kanji writer. Casio EX-word.

Although I admit, I get more out of looking up kanji I don't know than learning Japanese words from it. There's usually a bit of back and forth between the English->Japanese and Japanese->English sections to be sure I have the correct term.

If you have a lot of extra cash lying around and are serious about learning Japanese, I did find this thing:
Japanese Language Tools--Complete System
It's ridiculously expensive, but appears to be quite useful.

However, if you've been studying hard for a year, and are capable of doing a homestay, I don't see why you couldn't get away with just buying one from a store in Tokyo. You should be able to use a cheaper one from there just fine.
I don't know about the prices now, but you could get electronic dictionaries without a kanji writer for as low as ¥8000. But as Hatredcopter stated, a good dictionary runs around the ¥250,000+ area.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TKS (Offline)
JF Regular

05-25-2008, 10:10 PM

----------

Last edited by TKS : 11-12-2008 at 01:20 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

05-25-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKS View Post
Hi Ivo,

You don't necessarily have to go buy one. Nowadays, when a person wants a piece of software, he need only do a search on "freeware".

Freeware: Software that is free.

Good luck.

-TKS
While I agree with this sentiment with many types of software, there are no free or open source alternatives that are as comprehensive (and portable) as these electronic dictionaries.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-25-2008, 10:17 PM

You get what you pay for.

Free sources will never be as good as the professionally developed methods you purchase.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
DragonShade (Offline)
美魚さんは白鳥な

05-25-2008, 10:23 PM

I went the Japan town last time. And wow! these dictionaries are expensive, the cheapest one is around like 250$ , and some reach as high as 400$. YOu could get it from Amazon, tho. still its too expensive for me

白鳥は哀しからずや、空の青、うみのあをにも、染まず ただよふ。 
美魚さんは白鳥、僕は青、ぼくらは交わらない

My Anime List

Chara Listing XD

Last edited by DragonShade : 05-25-2008 at 10:25 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TKS (Offline)
JF Regular

05-25-2008, 10:25 PM

----------

Last edited by TKS : 11-12-2008 at 01:19 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
james1254 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2008, 07:51 AM

I find a DS and kanji sonomama jiten works well. (not English interface or manual so you have to be intermediate at Japanese at least to use it.)
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
05-26-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKS View Post
You don't necessarily have to go buy one. Nowadays, when a person wants a piece of software, he need only do a search on "freeware".
Well, that's true, but not in this case!
The topic is about portable electric dictionaries (in japanese 電子辞書), little computer-like machines that carry a lot of different dictionaries and are very useful for everyone.

I'm a big fan of freeware stuff, but it's simply not possibile to download a freeware version of an electronic device.

In topic:
If you're going to Tokyo, you'll find a good selection of dictionaries in every electronics store. Try the biggest ones, like Yodobashi camera, Bikku camera, LAOX, etc.
Basic models can be found also at reasonable prices (around 25.000yen).
Obviously, advanced models (with a touchpad, voice recognition, upgradeable firmware or color screen) can be much more expensive.
I strongly suggest you buy your dictionary while you are in Japan! Outside Japan, these things are very very expensive.

Last edited by Cyclamen : 05-26-2008 at 12:08 PM.