JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

assistance please (very important) - 06-10-2008, 11:45 PM

I am only posting two threads, cause I really need help with this.
and people go to my other thread, but aren't posting.

It's for a note to have given to someone. I need to mail it off tomorrow.

I have til at least tomorrow morning, or at the latest tomorrow afternoon early, like say hopefully 1 pm central time.

I just want to be sure this is absolutely 100% correct, before writing it on a card to give to someone.

こんにちは。 お元気ですか? 私の名前はJessyです。

私は新しいファンです。

自分が今までのところ知っていることから、私は、あな たがおもしろく、
おかしくいとし
いと思います。

私は、いつかAyabie、コンサートであなたと他の奴に会う ことを望んでい
ます。

私は、それが良くて、おもしろい経験であると思
います。

ただ何かをあなたに与えたくて、あなたがそれが好きで あることを願って
います。

彼の名前はMasa-chanです。 望んでいるなら、あなたはそれを変えること
ができます。

this is what I am trying to say, in English:

Hi. How are you? My name is Jessy.
I'm a new fan.
From what I know so far, I think you are fun, funny and sweet.
I'm hoping to see you and the other guys in Ayabie in concert, someday.
I think it would be a good, fun experience.
I just wanted to give you something, and am hoping you like it.
His name is Masa-chan. You can change it if you want.
But I am hoping you will like the name, too. (this I just added, so I haven't got the translation for it)

I did look in a dictionary, and most of this seems to be correct, but some of it doesn't, I think, with how the site translated it.

I would like it as close to my original thoughts as possible. But I understand if sometimes it has to be quite different, if there's no literal exact translation.

Also, if I am thinking something doesn't seem to have the right meaning, and there might be another word, could I ask about that?

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-11-2008, 12:05 AM

Miyavi-fan,

Machine translations don't work. I get the gist of what you want to say, so in one way, what you have is OK, but you want something that is 100% exact translation, and that just doesn't exist. English and Japanese are too different.

I might be able to fix a sentence or two, but I am not going to rewrite the whole thing. After yesterday, I don't know if Nagoyankee is feeling so generous after you asked for corrections when you weren't going to use the translation anyway.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

06-11-2008, 12:10 AM

no. I said it's fine if it's not 100%

I only said I want the translation to be 100% correct. I don't want to say something that is not at all similar to what I want to say.

I would have most certainly have used what he put, had I not already had to send it off before his reply was posted. Also, he could simply say that himself.

R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-11-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavifan View Post
I just want to be sure this is absolutely 100% correct, before writing it on a card to give to someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavifan View Post
no. I said it's fine if it's not 100%

I only said I want the translation to be 100% correct. I don't want to say something that is not at all similar to what I want to say.

I would have most certainly have used what he put, had I not already had to send it off before his reply was posted. Also, he could simply say that himself.
I shouldn't speak for Nagoyankee, so I won't. Just understand that translating something isn't like tying your shoes. You are asking a big favor. I can't understand if you are sending fan letters why the timing is so very vital...

私は新しいファンです。

This is fine.

いつか、ぜひAyabieのコンサートを見に行きたいです。
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

06-11-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMan2 View Post
I could help you, but I just never took the time enough to memorize the Kanji forms
It's ok. Kanji is not easy, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I shouldn't speak for Nagoyankee, so I won't. Just understand that translating something isn't like tying your shoes. You are asking a big favor. I can't understand if you are sending fan letters why the timing is so very vital...

私は新しいファンです。

This is fine.

いつか、ぜひAyabieのコンサートを見に行きたいです。
I do understand that. It's not a fan letter. It's a card, which is going to be given directly to him, on the 18th, and it needs to get mailed off to California
in time. Or if possible a little early. So the person going to the concert can bring it with her.

Is it the first two lines, or the single line, that's ok? It's the single line that wasn't right, isn't it?

Ok, you obviously misunderstood. 100% correct does not mean the same as 100% as how I had written it. It means I don't want any wrong words that either don't make sense, or mean something else.

R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-11-2008, 01:09 AM

The first two lines were fine.

I rewrote the fourth line.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

06-11-2008, 01:15 AM

Ok. thank you.
I've saved it in email, to add to whatever else I am able to figure out for accurate translations.

R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2008, 02:10 AM

I don't quite understand your necessity to have it in Japanese if you cannot read/write in the language.

Here's my shot at one of them. I'm still thinking about the "I wanted to give you something" line, but I have to work tonight, and probably won't get it done.

[His name is Masa-chan. You can change it if you want. But I am hoping you like the name, too.]

彼はマサチャンです。好きな名前に変わってもいいです 。でも、あなたも「マサチャン」が好きを願っています 。

He is Masa(chan). You can(may) change it into a name you like. But I hope you like Masa(chan) too.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
06-11-2008, 11:35 AM

こんにちは。 お元気ですか。
私の名前はJessyです。
私は新しいファンです。
今までわかったことを考えてみて、あなたが面白くて柔 和な性格の人だと思っています。
私はいつかアヤビエのコンサートであなたと他のバンド ・メンバーに合いたいです。
楽しそうな体験ですね。
私はあなたにプレゼントをあげようと思っていましたか ら、これを送ります。
好きになるように願います。
彼の名前は「マサチャン」です。好きな名前に変わって もいいんですけど、あなたも「マサチャン」が好きでよ かったでしょうね。

I'm pretty sure there are some errors, for example, I don't know how to say "from what I know so far". I've translated it into 今までわかったことを考えてみて (it somehow fits the text, but I know it's not right).

Another thing: it the letter, it would be better if there was the recipient's name instead of "anata".
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

06-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't quite understand your necessity to have it in Japanese if you cannot read/write in the language.

Here's my shot at one of them. I'm still thinking about the "I wanted to give you something" line, but I have to work tonight, and probably won't get it done.

[His name is Masa-chan. You can change it if you want. But I am hoping you like the name, too.]

彼はマサチャンです。好きな名前に変わってもいいです 。でも、あなたも「マサチャン」が好きを願っています 。

He is Masa(chan). You can(may) change it into a name you like. But I hope you like Masa(chan) too.
It's so he can read it, without having to have it translated. I can read and write a little Japanese.

yeah, I decided that wouldn't work very well. That something simpler might be better. Unfortunately I have to mail it today, to be sure it gets to the person in time, who will be giving it to the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclamen View Post
こんにちは。 お元気ですか。
私の名前はJessyです。
私は新しいファンです。
今までわかったことを考えてみて、あなたが面白くて柔 和な性格の人だと思っています。
私はいつかアヤビエのコンサートであなたと他のバンド ・メンバーに合いたいです。
楽しそうな体験ですね。
私はあなたにプレゼントをあげようと思っていましたか ら、これを送ります。
好きになるように願います。
彼の名前は「マサチャン」です。好きな名前に変わって もいいんですけど、あなたも「マサチャン」が好きでよ かったでしょうね。

I'm pretty sure there are some errors, for example, I don't know how to say "from what I know so far". I've translated it into 今までわかったことを考えてみて (it somehow fits the text, but I know it's not right).

Another thing: it the letter, it would be better if there was the recipient's name instead of "anata".
Did you translate the Ayabie line? Cause I don't see the name Ayabie spelled put as Ayabie. That's how the group has it, and how I wanted it. I will do my best to figure out if that line was done, and just replace which word it is, with Ayabie.
oh. What are the two sentences in the bracket things?

Huh. I am suppose to say the name of the person, when talking to the person himself? That's very different. I'll need to look up his name then, to see if it's written in hiragana or something, or just written like this: Kenzo.

what does this, that you switched it to, mean?
(今までわかったことを考えてみて)
I have to mail it off today. I leave in less than an hour, but even if you get this after I've left, I will still be interested in knowing what it means.

(thank you to all who helped me with this. I appreciate it.)

R.I.P. Jasmine....