JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
zestron (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to zestron Send a message via Yahoo to zestron Send a message via Skype™ to zestron
DS Japanese Dictionary? - 06-16-2008, 12:47 AM

I'm wondering if I should buy an electronic dictionary or a DS Japanese dictionary. It seems that there are a few of them out there. Should I get an electronic dictionary or just buy a "game" for my DS instead?

EDIT DS -> Nintendo DS

Links
JapanChronicles: Nintendo DS, kanji dictionary [What I want to get]
DS gets wordplay, Japanese-English dictionary - Joystiq
Game and Watch Hidden in DS Dictionary | Game | Life from Wired.com

You can google Japanese DS Dictionary and find more.

"If it is possible to manipulate this thread, then it will be possible to control everything in the world." - Curses and Witches -LA
--
[If you have the time, translate and PM me this(Note: Its a big block of text) {http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3239/heartwarmerinstructionxp9.png}]

Last edited by zestron : 06-16-2008 at 12:51 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-16-2008, 04:08 AM

Kanji Sono Mama Rakubiki Jiten (漢字そのまま楽引辞典)

I use this every day for my work. It is not a "game" but a dictionary. It is perfect for looking up kanji I am not familiar with, as I can just write them in. And it has definitions in English (not for every word, but a majority).

If you want to look up kanji you don't recognize or if you know the hiragana, but not the kanji, it is perfect.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-16-2008, 04:28 AM

As an owner of both a DS dictionary and an electronic dictionary, I'd have to say it depends what you're looking for. DS Dictionaries are good for your basic word and kanji lookups - certain ones have neat features like showing you the animated stroke order on kanji, etc.

Many of the mid-to-high range electronic dictionaries are a lot more comprehensive and have a lot more features, as well as a lot more entries in their dictionaries. They have more specialized dictionaries (technical, medical, science, etc), and often contain a lot more less-common kanji.

If you're a beginner Japanese student or just want some basic dictionary functionality, I'd just go for one of the many DS titles there are. If you're an intermediate/advanced learner or if you're studying abroad in Japan, I'd recommend an electronic dictionary. The Canon WordTank G55 is a great one for learners of Japanese, because the interface can be switched to English, and compared to other electronic dictionaries, it's not too expensive (roughly $230 last time I looked).

郷に入っては郷に従え