JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
pinkX (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Japanese language schools (in Japan) - 06-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Konnichiwa!

Hello there. I'll try to keep this short.

I've started learning Japanese here in Portugal, but due to my schedules, I had to quit, because I didn't have much time to study.

I have a great passion for Japan, it's language and it's culture, and so I was thinking of combining all of this (when financially possible). What I mean is, I take some time off, and when on vacations (IN JAPAN), I could study the language at the same time!!! [I don't now if I'm being clear]

Anyway, the reason of this post is to ask for advice and some feedback of schools. I've found so many on the www but not really sure which one to pick.

I also would like to ask, what do you think is the minimum time to learn the basic? Like a month or so, in an intensive course?

[on the feedback please refer to all aspects you can remember, such as class schedules, course fees, other activities, if the school has a dorm, teaching methods... and so on]

Arigatou gozaimasu
(#2 (permalink))
Old
PouncingAnt (Offline)
JF Regular

06-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Yeah, a month of INTENSIVE study will get you some good basic skills. I'd advise using whatever skills you get to get yourself a penfriend so you can practice the language routinely, and be in contact with Japanese, as spoken by the Japanese. Also really useful to have someone to correct you (if not frustrating at times).

There are plenty of paid schemes that will help you get out here, like JET, for instance, that will also give you an opportunity to learn some language.

If you're in higher education, it shouldn't be too hard to get a scholarship to go to a university, all of which seem to provide Japanese lessons (I'm at Okayama University, and theirs are really good).

I'm afraid thats the limit of my knowledge so far as Japanese lessons here go. I hope someone else can give you a better answer

You can also check out Japanese lessons on my site
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Cirth (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Cirth
06-17-2008, 03:49 PM

Yup. Same thing with me. I had work AND Japanese courses, but they clashed, and I had to stop with the Japanese classes. Trying again this autumn though
I think the best sollution is to study HARD at home. Buy Japanese Mangas and try reading them. Get yourself a penpal or a netfriend from Japan. I came across an interesting site yesterday which focuses solely on penpals from Japan and internationally...I've given that a shot and hope it'll be ok.
The best way of course, to learn Japanese, is to travel there and be forced to learn the language...but unfortunately for me, on this case, I don't have alot of money...but I do want to live there for a year, which is why I'm doing all the stuff I just told you now, within this year, so that I might go to Japan and live there in a year's time...I dunno. That's just a plan. A major plan right now, but at least it keeps me going. I know I can learn it ^^

the site for the penpal thingy is Japanese Penpals?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
NTREEG (Offline)
JF Regular

06-18-2008, 01:13 AM

I'm attending a Japanese language school in Tokyo now. Just so you'll have an idea of what it's like...
We use a textbook. We cover 2 - 3 chapters of the text book each week. Each chapter has about 2 or 3 major grammar points that we learn and maybe somewhere around 15 to 30 new vocabulary words. We also learn about 6 new kanji each day.

The intensive language course works well in my opinion. I came to Japan in January and couldn't speak any Japanese outside of basic greetings. I had dinner with some friends last night that I hadn't seen since I first got to Japan and they were pretty amazed that I could hold a basic conversation with them after only 5 months of study. Of course my speaking wasn't anywhere near fluent, but they could understand me and I could understand a fair bit of what they were saying.

I don't know how effective only a month at school would be. You'd pick up some grammar and vocabulary for sure. But a continued effort would be best.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
pinkX (Offline)
New to JF

06-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Hello NTREEG! Thank you for your reply. Does your school have a website?
That would be also helpfull.

Thanks a lot
(#6 (permalink))
Old
NTREEG (Offline)
JF Regular

06-19-2008, 01:28 AM

Sure. My school is the Academy of Language Arts in Iidabashi.
ALA

Each level is about 3 months. I'm currently finishing up the "Beginner 2" class which ends this month and will start the "Intermediate 1" class in July.