JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-08-2008, 02:46 AM

The thing is, I already know not to use a lot of pronouns in Japanese and to not keep using "I", which is why I was trying, earlier in that letter message I was writing, to use words like "dakedo" or "dakara" etc., even though you informed me that it doesn't look as nice to use those types of words (I have to look again at what you wrote).

I was just wondering, when would one use the whole "Watashi wa (name) desu" thing which is taught in formal Japanese classes. That's also why I asked, what if you're introducing yourself to a group of people. I just find it awkward that I would be taught something that I would never use in an actual Japanese setting.

It's not like Spanish, where most teachers don't teach in "Vosotros" form because it's not really used anymore and is pretty much native to just Spain, not other Spanish speaking countries.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-08-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post

I was just wondering, when would one use the whole "Watashi wa (name) desu" thing which is taught in formal Japanese classes. That's also why I asked, what if you're introducing yourself to a group of people. I just find it awkward that I would be taught something that I would never use in an actual Japanese setting.
I understand your frustration. I've spoken to at least two dozen Japanese-learners abroad, some of them in person and others online. The majority of them have been North Americans, so I've spent much of my adult life speaking about pronouns. How ironical! With me being Japanese, pronouns aren't my forte!

To answer your question, I must pretty much have to repeat what I've already stated. You omit pronouns when you know that the other person will know who or what you are referring to. If you introduce yourself by saying "私はスミスです。", I'm sure most Japanese will feel the wordiness of "私は" being there. Whose name could you be telling us but your own? The important part is "スミス", not "私".

But you will definitely need to use "私" in the following situations.

Teacher: "Who broke the window?"

Smith: "私です。" or "私やりました。"  (Notice the particle が. You cannot use は there.)

Officer: "So, which one of you is Smith?"

Smith: "私です" or "私スミスです。" (Again, the particle must be が)

In these dialogues, 私 is the most important word. But 私 is not important when telling someone or a group of people what your name is.

I know you're still not clear on this. That's all natural at this stage. Pronoun usage IS difficult in Japanese learning, and so are particles. Smaller the words, the more difficult to use. I hope you give yourself enough time to learn them. Let me give you links that should explain pronouns better than I can:

Japanese nouns and pronouns

Total Quality Japanese: Speaking without pronouns

Finally, I don't think you should worry too much at this point how the Japanese you learn in school may be different from how it is used in Japan. That happens in every academic language course. They teach you whatever is easier for them to explain to the students from other linguistic backgrounds. Even I would teach you in a course the way you're being taught now because that way I wouldn't have to spend the entire class time trying to answer the inevitable 'why' questions. 'Why don't Japanese use this or that?', 'Why can't they speak like we do here?', 'Are you married?', etc. You know, there's Japanese that is taught in school and there's Japanese that is used in Japan. Believe it or not, I learned English the same way you're learning Japanese now. You will be alright in just several years.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-08-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Just wave your hand so the palm faces all people in the area as you say "hello". It will be easy understood.
I'm not certain how to respond to this. I'm not sure if you're being a smart alleck, or trying to give some actual useful advice.

That aside, thank you for the explanation Nagoyankee. I have to try and get out of the habit of using "私は" a lot and practice making longer sentences so that I wouldn't be tempted to use "私".
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-08-2008, 10:02 AM

I go either ショーンです or if I want to be improper/casual, 俺ショーン (particularly if I'm with a group of friends and I meet someone about my age).
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
It is a little bit of both. Honestly, no Japanese is going to take you seriously on first impressions if you speak anything other than English. The best response you will get is a smile and congratulations with "You learn speak Japanese is good!" ... Seriously, just say "Hello", they all know that and expect it.
Tenchu, you are familiar with Asia, but not Japan. If I introduced myself in anything other than Japanese I am saying "I don't speak Japanese" and a wall goes up. Even a stuttered attempt shows an attempt at communication and it much appreciated in Japan.

"They" don't all expect anything.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
karateka (Offline)
The Samurai Usagi Yojimbo

Location: somewhere wishing i was in the land of the rising sun
07-08-2008, 07:30 PM

does anyone else have any good greetings that i can use

the karateka has spoken....

attending member of the yudansha kobujitsu karate-doh fedaration for four years and counting.

(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-08-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka View Post
does anyone else have any good greetings that i can use
Besides the bickering, I think they are all pretty much in here... if you have a specific think you want to want to know how to say, feel free.