JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
gunblade007 (Offline)
New to JF

07-23-2008, 05:40 AM

well Nagoyankee,
if you look up shun on behindthename.com or any baby name site. it says shun in japan is a girl's name and it means speed in japanese while shun in china is an unisex name and it means smooth,agreeable in chinese and shion is an unisex name in japan and is also american girl name too.
-Joe
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-23-2008, 06:15 AM

lol I, Nagoyankee, will be the last person on JF to rely on a Japanese name website. If you don't understand what that means, you obviously haven't read enough pages in the language section of JF.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-23-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunblade007 View Post
well Nagoyankee,
if you look up shun on behindthename.com or any baby name site. it says shun in japan is a girl's name and it means speed in japanese while shun in china is an unisex name and it means smooth,agreeable in chinese and shion is an unisex name in japan and is also american girl name too.
-Joe
When in doubt, do a google image search for "Shun". I see a lot more male faces than female.

I have never met a girl named Shun in Japan, but a few boys (short for "Shunsuke")

And 駿 does not mean "speed" in Japanese. It blink, wink, or twinkle (like a star).
(#24 (permalink))
Old
gunblade007 (Offline)
New to JF

07-23-2008, 06:53 AM

well mmm,
you could be right maybe shun is more of an male's name than a female's name since most anime and video games characters with the name shun are males. but if you look up shion there is both male and female anime and video game characters with that name like shion uzuki from xenosaga and shion from king of fighters and the legendary hero from wonder boy in monster world, and aries shion from saint seiya/knights of the zodiac/
-Joe

Last edited by gunblade007 : 07-23-2008 at 07:01 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-23-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunblade007 View Post
well mmm,
you could be right maybe shun is more of an male's name than a female's name since most anime and video games characters with the name shun are males. but if you look up shion there is both male and female anime and video game characters with that name like shion uzuki from xenosaga and shion from king of fighters and the legendary hero from wonder boy in monster world, and aries shion from saint seiya/knights of the zodiac/
-Joe
SHION and SHUN are as different in Japanese as JOHN and JOAN in English.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
james1254 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-23-2008, 10:32 AM

I've never even heard of a girl named shun(I'm sure there might be a few) and i've met a few boys called shun. Anime, manga and video games are not really good examples for real life for example a girl could be called bob in a video game does it mean this is a girls name in real life? no.

「人は生れながら自由で 、しかもいたるところで鎖に縛られている」
(#27 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1254 View Post
I've never even heard of a girl named shun(I'm sure there might be a few) and i've met a few boys called shun. Anime, manga and video games are not really good examples for real life for example a girl could be called bob in a video game does it mean this is a girls name in real life? no.
A good example of not going by anime or manga for naming purposes is Yamato from Pokemon. Yamato is a female character, but the name is obviously masculine and I honestly couldn't see a girl named this and I'm no expert. It just seems awkward, although for Pokemon, it's a pun. Real life, couldn't see it.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
gunblade007 (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2008, 12:59 AM

i'm not really sure about shion. people tell me it's a girl's name and i look it up on baby names web site and found one site that says it's also american name and is a boys name. but i'm not sure if that's right or not i can't also find the meaning of the name. and all of those characters i say who name was shion 2 of them were male the reason were female. and shion might be aries's last name. but i did find the name shun in behindthename.com.
-Joe
(#29 (permalink))
Old
nubatama (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2008, 03:39 PM

Sion(紫苑:Aster tataricus) is flower's name in Japan.
It is male and female name.

Twitter
http://twitter.com/sarachi

Recommended translate site
http://honyaku.yahoo.co.jp/

"nubatama" mean Night, Dark, Hair, and Black.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
gunblade007 (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2008, 07:02 AM

thanks nubatama
but not to be rude but it's shion not sion. but thanks anyway.
-Joe